Death to the BCS

Blaze1up

Imagine the Huskers in a playoff format this season, oh how wonderful that would be. How will we ever see TCU, Boise, Utah, or any 3rd team tie have a chance they deserve. Politics and greed destroy any chance for hope.

It's infuriating Blaze. I was on the fence for awhile, with the standard rebuttal of "I don't want college football turning into the NFL." Time has eroded all conviction on that stance. Give us a playoff, now!

• Fire 1

Imagine the Huskers in a playoff format this season, oh how wonderful that would be. How will we ever see TCU, Boise, Utah, or any 3rd team tie have a chance they deserve. Politics and greed destroy any chance for hope.

It's infuriating Blaze. I was on the fence for awhile, with the standard rebuttal of "I don't want college football turning into the NFL." Time has eroded all conviction on that stance. Give us a playoff, now!

When I see some consistency in schedules I will be all for a playoff as well. Until then all the teams that play the cupcakes can continue to be left out IMO.

Boise State, #1 in total defense.

Against....the #120, #79, #116, #99, and #119 ranked offenses.

Boise State, #4 in total offense.

Against...the #110, #119, #118, #107, and #113 defenses.

How will we ever see TCU, Boise, Utah, or any 3rd team tie have a chance they deserve.

Why, precisely, do they deserve a chance? Are you under the impression that these three teams would have the regular performances, that they have during their present regular seasons, if they were apart of a conference with more than two teams worth a damn?

It will be interesting to see how Utah performs next year.

Politics and greed destroy any chance for hope.

"Any chance for hope" of what exactly? The BCS does precisely what it was meant to do: put the two best teams in the National Championship Game. That's it's sole purpose. What part of hope is missing on that? The opportunity for some cinderella to pull out an upset?

For me, personally, I'm not 100% sold on the BCS; however, I am definitely a fan of the regular season having significant weight. Playoffs diminish the role of the regular season and dampen the rivalries some of us hold dear. Sure, it's a traditionalist approach; yet, that's something I particularly like about CFB.

"Any chance for hope" of what exactly? The BCS does precisely what it was meant to do: put the two best teams in the National Championship Game. That's it's sole purpose. What part of hope is missing on that? The opportunity for some cinderella to pull out an upset?

How do we know they are the best two teams? Because the polls and computers tell us they are? The number 2 team wins the title about 50% of the time so who's to say the number 3 team isn't better than the number 2 team 50% of the time? And this year there is a pretty good chance that TCU or Boise are in the title game so if you don't think those teams deserve a chance you probably shouldn't be for the BCS.

• Fire 1

Utah beat down Bama and Boise beat OU. Auburn gets robbed going undefeated and a 2 loss LSU gets picked over a handful of 1 loss teams who all win their bowl games. What if we see TCU/Boise in the Championship this year with the cup cake schedules they've had.

I agree blaze1up. How are people going to feel if the national championship is undefeated Boise St. vs undefeated TCU? This could easily, easily happen. TCU is the only team with a half way decent test left on it's schedule, they play #8 Utah in 2 weeks but that same Utah team has played only 1 team ranked in the top 25, they beat #24 Oregon State by 9 points so it's a stretch to even call them somewhat of a test.

• Fire 1
Auburn gets robbed going undefeated and a 2 loss LSU gets picked over a handful of 1 loss teams who all win their bowl games.

As far as Auburn goes, it was completely their fault for having such a shotty SOS. Of three undefeated teams, it's logical to take the two that played a harder schedule. Correct?

Who precisely would you have put in the NC besides LSU? Feel free to support it as well.

What if we see TCU/Boise in the Championship this year with the cup cake schedules they've had.

IF that is how it plays out; THEN so be it. However, both teams are going to need a LOT of help to leap frog anyone from a BCS AQ conference.

How do we know they are the best two teams? Because the polls and computers tell us they are? The number 2 team wins the title about 50% of the time so who's to say the number 3 team isn't better than the number 2 team 50% of the time? And this year there is a pretty good chance that TCU or Boise are in the title game so if you don't think those teams deserve a chance you probably shouldn't be for the BCS.

And somehow you think a playoff alleviates your questions and comments about the BCS. A playoff scenario MAY help with answering some questions; however, it can also create more questions than it answers. Where do you draw the line?

Auburn gets robbed going undefeated and a 2 loss LSU gets picked over a handful of 1 loss teams who all win their bowl games.

As far as Auburn goes, it was completely their fault for having such a shotty SOS. Of three undefeated teams, it's logical to take the two that played a harder schedule. Correct?

Well just to make everything correct the fly in the ointment for the 2004 Auburn team was they only got credit for beating TN once that year rather than once during the season and once in the SEC championship. The BCS has since fixed that loophole.

As far as Auburn's SOS that year they played and beat more ranked schools than USC and OK did combined so that does not hold water.

Auburn hit a ceiling due to the #1 and #2 spots being occupied the entire year with neither of them losing.

• Fire 1

The 30 some bowls are meaningless anymore, with big corporate powers buying the naming rights no one even knows what bowl it was. Start it slow with a +1 system then grow from there. Give us a clear cut winner and not some crazy fuzzy math with a popularity contest and two teams are named from a crap shoot sos made 6 or 7 years in advance. Lets have 5 teams all with the same record and similar schedules all get decided by a slot machine. Chaos is what we need to take down this BullCrapSystem.

ESPN today.

Utah AG, Justice Department meet

Updated: November 4, 2010, 12:08 PM ET

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Utah's attorney general met with Justice Department officials this week to discuss a possible federal investigation into college football's Bowl Championship Series.

The attorney general, Mark Shurtleff, is looking into possible antitrust violations and wants the Justice Department to do so as well. Shurtleff says that department officials have clearly done "their homework" on the issue.

Justice Department officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. In January, the department said the Obama administration is considering reviewing the legality of the BCS.

Under the BCS, the champions of six conferences have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games, while the other conferences don't.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ESPN today.

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Utah's attorney general met with Justice Department officials this week to discuss a possible federal investigation into college football's Bowl Championship Series.

The attorney general, Mark Shurtleff, is looking into possible antitrust violations and wants the Justice Department to do so as well. Shurtleff says that department officials have clearly done "their homework" on the issue.

Justice Department officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. In January, the department said the Obama administration is considering reviewing the legality of the BCS.

Under the BCS, the champions of six conferences have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games, while the other conferences don't.

I wonder if Mr. Hatch wouldn't like to rewind the reels of time now, considering that his Utes are in fact BCS conference bound. :lol:

ESPN today.

Associated Press

I wonder if Mr. Hatch wouldn't like to rewind the reels of time now, considering that his Utes are in fact BCS conference bound. :lol:

I doubt it. Here's just a few reason's why....

In 2003 USC was not included in the BCS Championship Game, but beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl and ended up #1 in the Associated Press final poll.

The following season, in 2004, undefeated Auburn University, Boise State University and University of Utah teams were left out of the National Championship Game (the FedEx Orange Bowl), although those teams all went undefeated.

In 2001, Oregon, second ranked in the AP poll, was bypassed in favor of Nebraska despite Nebraska's loss in its final regular season game to the University of Colorado.

In 2008, the University of Utah was excluded from the BCS championship for a second time despite being the only undefeated Division I-A team at the end of the season and finished second behind 13-1 Florida.

In 2009, five schools finished the regular season undefeated: Alabama, Texas, Cincinnati, Texas Christian University, and Boise State, however the BCS selected traditional powers Alabama and Texas to participate in the BCS National Championship Game as they were the top two teams in the BCS rankings.

• Fire 1

ESPN today.

Associated Press

I doubt it. Here's just a few reason's why...

In 2003 USC was not included in the BCS Championship Game, but beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl and ended up #1 in the Associated Press final poll.

The following season, in 2004, undefeated Auburn University, Boise State University and University of Utah teams were left out of the National Championship Game (the FedEx Orange Bowl), although those teams were undefeated as well.

In 2001, Oregon, second ranked in the AP poll, was bypassed in favor of Nebraska despite Nebraska's loss in its final regular season game to the University of Colorado.

In 2008, the University of Utah was excluded from the BCS championship for a second time despite being the only undefeated Division I-A team at the end of the season and finished second behind 13-1 Florida.

In 2009, five schools finished the regular season undefeated: Alabama, Texas, Cincinnati, Texas Christian University, and Boise State, however the BCS selected traditional powers Alabama and Texas to participate in the BCS National Championship Game as they were the top two teams in the BCS rankings. However, only Alabama and Boise State emerged from the postseason undefeated.

No, I know what you're saying and I agree. Just a sarcastic remark.

• Fire 1