Live updating message board

epocSoN

I'm sure it's entirely possible, but have no idea on the logistics of it.

At any rate, I bet CSS3 and HTML5 make it easier than it ever could have been in the past. Additionally, I bet that kind of software would have some other area where it falls short in usability or friendliness. What would be the point of it, I wonder? If you're going to do something like that, why not just have a chat feature?

It could be done, but not something we'd do here - at least, not at present. The hits to the database would go way up - right now, content is pulled when you click on a topic. What you want would require that the software poll the database every X number of seconds, then re-write the screen if any new content was detected subsequent to the last time check. That puts quite a strain on database resources, especially when you consider that it would have to happen for each user - the kind of thing that would require some significant (read: costly) resources we just can't afford.

OK, i thought that was probably the case. Thanks for all your hard work fellas.

are you thinking for gameday threads? last year we went to chat rooms every once in a while. maybe instead of a gameday thread, it should just be a link to a chat room? just a thought. love the board, except it has ruined my marriage. i started out lurking. thought i would join just to keep track of read threads so i would not have to scroll through to see the updates. saw something i disagreed with, thought i would post. thought i would post sparingly, it was a nice distraction. now, i can not stop checking and posting. i need a life, unless this counts. does it?

OK, i thought that was probably the case. Thanks for all your hard work fellas.

are you thinking for gameday threads? last year we went to chat rooms every once in a while. maybe instead of a gameday thread, it should just be a link to a chat room? just a thought. love the board, except it has ruined my marriage. i started out lurking. thought i would join just to keep track of read threads so i would not have to scroll through to see the updates. saw something i disagreed with, thought i would post. thought i would post sparingly, it was a nice distraction. now, i can not stop checking and posting. i need a life, unless this counts. does it?

:yeah