Carseat advice for 4 year old

I am so confused about booster seat, carseat, high-back, no back.... My son is a big four year old, 44 inches, 42 pounds, and just turned 4. I want the very safest carseat, booster seat, etc but I do not know which choice(no back booster, high back booster, combo carseat) is the absolutely safest because of all the different types and I assume the safest choice changes as the child gets older. Price is no concern as I am not rich, but this is just too important to be cheap. He is currently in a combination carseat, which was suppose to last until he is 80 pounds, but it just looks too small.

You should try to find out where a location is that has a person check to make sure your child is strapped in safely. I deal with a lot of injured children because of car wrecks in my job and usually a big reason they're hurt is because they're not strapped in properly. That may be because the seat is messed up, but usually has to do with the way the seatbelt crosses over their chest and rests on their hips.

I'm not sure where you're at, but you may want to call the non-emergency police or fire department, or check with your insurance agent. Having them strapped in right is much more important than the style of seat you use, IMO.

You might want to check out Comsumer Reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/search.htm?query=child+seats

I'll admit, I never wear seatbelts..I still believe it will never happen to me, but my 9yr old Son is dilligent about it (like my older brother was who we named him after)??

I would think that the make of automobile that you plan on driving your child in would be important in deciding on which carseat to employ, so you might want to check with a local dealer for suggestions.

And make sure they sit in the back seat away from those dangerous crash bags!

Would you think that a high back booster is safer then a backless? That is the part that is really confusing for me. Both types are on the best bets.

I don't think I would trust a backless in most cases..again depends on the existing back seat of your auto.

My main concern in a wreck would be immobilizing the head and neck area.

The only bennefit I would see in a backless would be ease of use, meaning your child would be more likely to use it..But with the car I drove when my Son was that age, he was safer just using my existing (extremely small) backseat with the seatbelt.

Would you think that a high back booster is safer then a backless? That is the part that is really confusing for me. Both types are on the best bets.

I don't think I would trust a backless in most cases..again depends on the existing back seat of your auto.

My main concern in a wreck would be immobilizing the head and neck area.

The only bennefit I would see in a backless would be ease of use, meaning your child would be more likely to use it..But with the car I drove when my Son was that age, he was safer just using my existing (extremely small) backseat with the seatbelt.

Yes, I am thinking a backed one would be better, thanks for all the advice on this thread, I just ordered one from Amazon.