Nebraska not out of the Title hunt

ADS

2001...just sayin

......and we know how well 2001 ended. We are a solid top 15 team, but I am not convinced we are better than that. We "alledgedly" may be down to 1 QB at 80%, we put the ball on the rug 5 times a game or more, we beat ourselves most times when we lose, we are heavily penalized and extremely inconsistent, particularly on offense.

I think we get to a B12 championship and I hope its OU we face. I think Okie Lite is better than the last time we played them and will have the mental edge for sure. Its hard to beat the same team twice. If we win that game, I would be very ecstatic with a good solid performance in a bcs bowl game. Until the inconsistency, penalties, etc get fixed, its hard to see us going undefeated...and true competitors in the NC.

2001...just sayin

......and we know how well 2001 ended. We are a solid top 15 team, but I am not convinced we are better than that. We "alledgedly" may be down to 1 QB at 80%, we put the ball on the rug 5 times a game or more, we beat ourselves most times when we lose, we are heavily penalized and extremely inconsistent, particularly on offense.

I think we get to a B12 championship and I hope its OU we face. I think Okie Lite is better than the last time we played them and will have the mental edge for sure. Its hard to beat the same team twice. If we win that game, I would be very ecstatic with a good solid performance in a bcs bowl game. Until the inconsistency, penalties, etc get fixed, its hard to see us going undefeated...and true competitors in the NC.

I agree we're a solid Top 15 team and not NC caliber right now. Just pointing out that weirder things have happened in the past. Some poster don't think it could happen but as you said, we know well 2001 ended for college football.

• Fire 1

I agree we're a solid Top 15 team and not NC caliber right now.

I have been hearing that from a lot of people. I am an optimist to be quite honest with you. In Callahan's first year I was convinced we could beat OU.

But anyways, in response to the above statement: If we are not NC caliber, who is?

1. Oregon? Not convinced they are an elite team

2. Auburn? I think they lose two games when it is all said and done

3. BS? They have a tough game against Nevada. The only thing that they ever prove is that they need to get to a tougher league

4. TCU? The only thing that they ever prove is that they need to get to a tougher league

5. LSU? They have a coach who was on the hotseat last year and should remain there.

6. Stanford? Good football team. Better than us? I don't think so.

7. Wisconsin? I remain unimpressed by the competition in the Big Ten. People talk about our near miss against ISU but forget that Wisky had one with ASU.

That brings us to our spot. Are we THAT much behind a single program above us in terms of talent, coaching or level of play? I don't think we are. We could give every single team above us a great game and we could win on any given night.

• Fire 1

I have been hearing that from a lot of people. I am an optimist to be quite honest with you. In Callahan's first year I was convinced we could beat OU.

But anyways, in response to the above statement: If we are not NC caliber, who is?

3. BS? They will lose to Nevada

4. TCU? eh...

5. LSU? They have a coach who was on the hotseat last year and should remain there.

7. Wisconsin? I remain unimpressed by the competition in the Big Ten. People talk about our near miss against ISU but forget that Wisky had one with ASU.

That brings us to our spot. Are we THAT much behind a single program above us in terms of talent, coaching or level of play? I don't think we are. We could give every single team above us a great game and we could win on any given night.

+1 I agree with everything you just said. :thumbs

My hypothetical situation:

1) Nebraska has to win out (including the Big XII championship game). Doing so, I believe, will make the Huskers jump Wisconsin, Stanford, LSU. LSU may seem like a stretch, but you do really think a non-"division winner" LSU would be ranked above a conference champion Nebraska? I doubt it, but I guess it'd really be up to the voters.

2) South Carolina wins the SEC (with a strong defense performance they could do it). This eliminates Auburn.

3) 2 of the 3 teams have to loose: Oregon, TCU, Boise State. This is a huge longshot, but possible. It also doesn't really have to happen, if the voters would vote Nebraska over some teams who haven't lost, but also haven't beaten anyone impressive, then we could be talking.

So really it's a longshot, but still very possible. I do think, however, as long as we beat A&M and Colorado, if we lose the championship game we could still go to a BCS bowl game, which should be considered a successful season.

3. BS? They have a tough game against Nevada. The only thing that they ever prove is that they need to get to a tougher league

4. TCU? The only thing that they ever prove is that they need to get to a tougher league

Quite honestly IMO, there hasn't been a team all year who looks NC caliber. It's more or less which team can escape the season the least unscathed. Right now that would be Oregon, Auburn, TCU and Boise St. Is Oregon an elite team? No. An elite team is one that consistently plays at that level year in and year out and this is the year they got lucky. Auburn? They look impressive but I think Bama beats them. TCU and Boise St just haven't proven anything other than they can beat up lesser teams. LSU is one Madhatter clock-management screw-up away from losing. Standford? Meh...Luck is a good QB but a team I think we could beat. And Wisky? They're simply the recepients of luck after the other B10 teams lost later in the year not too mention the B10 is having a down year (which could be said of the B12 as well).

No one stands out this year. take away just 1/2! our fumbles, cut down on penalties and throw in consistency and no one stands a chance against us this year. problem is, we havent fixed these things yet. we are close in this game of inches, but the few last inches are keeping us down.