Hello Huskers

A lot of people up here were gushing over the talent upgrade Clownahan brought in as well. Wow, it's just so interesting how many similarities there actually are. The only difference I can see is that you guys are a few years behind. A lot of the things you guys are saying about Sherman is the exact same things people up here were saying about Clownahan in 2006.

A lot of people up here were gushing over the talent upgrade Clownahan brought in as well. Wow, it's just so interesting how many similarities there actually are. The only difference I can see is that you guys are a few years behind. A lot of the things you guys are saying about Sherman is the exact same things people up here were saying about Clownahan in 2006.

for our sake, lets hope Sherman=/=Clownahan. I can't take another decade of mediocrity.

To Huskers:

Do you think your average run D is a product of your teams incredible pass D? Do you think other teams have abandoned the pass and focused on trying to overrun you?

What say you?

I think the average run D is mostly a product of inexperienced linebacker play. We had our top two linebackers injured in fall camp, our best one out for the year, and the other (Compton) just started playing again a few weeks ago. So we've been playing a lot with safeties at linebacker positions (Gomes), and with a juco transfer (David) who was new to the program this year. Lavonte David, while being a freak athletically, would miss his assignment a lot in run defense. Now it seems with Compton back on the field, and David starting to play the correct gap more consistently, the running defense has tightened up in recent matches against Kansas and Missouri.

I don't think anybody has abandoned the pass and just tried to run the ball on us, I think we're too strong for anybody to go all the way down the field doing that. You could get a few first downs doing that, but at some point we're going to stop you for a short gain or a loss and force you into passing. The teams that have had success against our defense, mainly Oklahoma State, achieved that success with balance.

To Huskers:

Do you think your average run D is a product of your teams incredible pass D? Do you think other teams have abandoned the pass and focused on trying to overrun you?

What say you?

I think the average run D is mostly a product of inexperienced linebacker play. We had our top two linebackers injured in fall camp, our best one out for the year, and the other (Compton) just started playing again a few weeks ago. So we've been playing a lot with safeties at linebacker positions (Gomes), and with a juco transfer (David) who was new to the program this year. Lavonte David, while being a freak athletically, would miss his assignment a lot in run defense. Now it seems with Compton back on the field, and David starting to play the correct gap more consistently, the running defense has tightened up in recent matches against Kansas and Missouri.

I don't think anybody has abandoned the pass and just tried to run the ball on us, I think we're too strong for anybody to go all the way down the field doing that. You could get a few first downs doing that, but at some point we're going to stop you for a short gain or a loss and force you into passing. The teams that have had success against our defense, mainly Oklahoma State, achieved that success with balance.

Don't forget all the missed tackles. *cough* Thenarse *cough*

To Huskers:

What say you?

Don't forget all the missed tackles. *cough* Thenarse *cough*

Oh yeah, that too. We changed our safeties a few weeks ago, to try and stop the whole "throw your body at him and hope he falls over" technique that was running rampant in the secondary. So far, so good.

the defense is a bend-but-don't-break design that trades real estate for time. it's designed to slow down spread offenses. the basic idea is to take away the big play and make the opposing offense earn every yard it gets and to make them run more plays, creating chances to make more mistakes. once the field is shortened, the big play is naturally taken away, so the defense can tighten up and smother the opposing offense, without giving up a score. you get yards but not points. by nature it is vulnerable in the middle because of the respect given to the pass, even against teams that can't pass. our linebacking corps is a little thin, small and inexperienced due to injury, however they are quite fast. if we miss a run-fit and your running back gets past the front four, there's some real estate to pick up. usually we can catch him before he gets inside the 30, and then the smothering process starts again. yards but no points. this scheme works a lot better against the run with a DT like ndamukong suh. unfortunately we don't have him anymore. when we turn our attention to the run (once you get inside the 30) we can stop it pretty well. we've only given up more than 21 points once, and our offense is generally good for at least 30 (unless we start dropping wide open touchdown passes) iowa state was an anomaly because our #2 QB is not very good and we only scored 24 in regulation where a healthy tmart would have given us around 50

To Huskers:

What say you?

Along with the other posts addressing this, our D-Line simply isn't as strong this year without Suh (big surprise) so that hasn't helped with the other issues as well.

Looking forward to a good game!