This offense

SnowBigRed

Wildly inflated and unrealistic expectations for Green, who IS the #3 guy, does not change what he is.

Green was a project the moment he walked on campus and has been thrown into the fire, and has perhaps not surprisingly, not progressed as much as he should have.

Cody Green is not the #3 quarterback. He is the 1B quarterback. The A&M depth chart has him listed immediately behind Martinez:

Quarterback: (#3) Taylor Martinez, 6-1, 195, RFr., Corona, Calif.

- OR - (#17) Cody Green, 6-4, 225, So., Dayton, Texas

- OR - (#5) Zac Lee, 6-2, 215, Sr., San Francisco, Calif.

LINK

You cannot use this as an excuse to cover for Watson. If Green isn't ready to go by this time in his career he's either a complete bust or horribly trained. Either way, if he cannot move this offense he needs to be benched. We cannot get much worse from Ron Kellogg or Brion Carnes, and frankly, it's looking like Carnes should never have redshirted. It is the responsibility of the QB coach to correctly gauge the ability of his quarterbacks. It is glaringly obvious that Green's ability has been mistaken.

Zoogies, you've spent the better part of several threads deflecting blame from Watson. In your opinion, what is Watson responsible for?

Depth chart? Seriously? It hasn't changed since week 1, look at the safeties on the depth chart, do you see our starting safeties even listed on the depth chart in the two deep?

Green is a bust or horribly trained? Maybe he doesn't have the confidence of his head coach and hasn't been given the opportunity to be the best he could be? Carnes shouldn't have redshirted? Kid came into camp under 180 lbs, he's got talent, but isn't physically ready at this point.

You are assuming a lot, like i've posted elsewhere, Watson and Cody are doing what Bo has told them to, Cody has pointed out where he thinks he can be more effective to the staff, but they don't agree. Bo would rather take his chances on defense than trust Lee last year, or Cody this year.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you "really" saying Bo is dictating to SW what Cody can use? Even "if" true he's surely not ordering the playcalling? I find it very hard to believe Bo would be ordering all those passes on 3rd & short (resulting in 3 & outs)/horizonatl passes/NP at qb/etc, etc.

Regarding last year our offense was so horribly inept it's an open question if Bo clamped down to hard. It was a sloppy mess with no easy answers for Bo. Yeah, we're there again now too. I wonder if he's getting tired of having the blackshirts carry the whole load?

No, i'm saying the general idea of the game plan is up to Bo. Cody has asked to be able to do more than run, run, pass. Use some playaction on 1st and 2nd, but it's been shot down. Watson gameplans under the guidance of Bo as far as philosophy. And Bo doesn't feel comfortable with the ball in Cody's hands. We didn't see as much wildcat against A&M because we didn't have experience with it against a 3 man front, and the gameplan and reps going in were for Taylor, and Roy got hurt in the 2nd half.

There should be PLENTY of wildcat this week.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought there was some really thought out discussion here. Plus, I started the thread so I've actually read every post.

After three more games since this thread was started and ended, my thoughts remain exactly the same. Too simple (or maybe too complicated) schemes, no adjustments mid-game, Oline getting slapped around for 4 quarters by another average at best defense, WR's dropping passes, no discipline, no aggressiveness, etc. The list goes on and on. Different day, different game, same old song and dance from this offense. All of this with nearly a month to prepare. This staff just doesn't seem to have a clue.

I understand that the motivation wasn't there last night, and I understand that to a point, but this is a team that Nebraska pummeled earlier this year, and we score exactly 1/8 as many points, while UW scores less than they did the last time. This is coaching and preparation and nothing else. No excuses. Martinez and Paul were both healthy, Oline was relatively healthy. I guess we now have 8 months to remember this one. It's going to be a long 8 months for sure.

Just so all the Watson and Co. backers aren't on my arse right away, I am aware that the defense didn't exactly play lights out, but they gave up less pts than last time, while the offense scored considerably (CONSIDERABLY) fewer points. Once again, 20 frickin points wins this game.

I said this the first year Pelini was Head Coach... "Get rid of Barney Cotton ASAP!" I stand by that statement with more conviction than ever! Barney is part of the Husker family and always will be, but he isn't the o-line coach for us. Frankly, he sucks! He needs to go yesterday! As for Watson... same thing! Gone! I was willing to give watson a break last year, although i wasn't convinced he was what many claim he is... a great offensive coach and offensive "Genius"? Actually, I had lost most of any confidence i had in Watson last year! This year just made it more clear than ever! Watson Must be fired!