please explain the WCO

godd2

I Googled West Coast Offense and came up with a couple of links...hope this all helps.

http://users2.ev1.net/~jamrtm/Playbooklist.htm

Has a couple of playbooks you can look at and download.

Spent a bunch of time looking for Chow's playbook...no avail...but I certainly have a better understanding of WCO, post-multiple shift. Motion might be a killer for us, but to Cally's credit the movement uses up more play clock, shortening the game our defense must currently contribute energy and enthusiasm enough to buoy the whole state of Nebraska.

I dunno, I've never played football, but I do act onstage. My memory is pretty good, especially when concerning where I am supposed to go on a given moment onstage, but I'm not sure if I was one of the recievers if I could remember all of these plays and retain the principal of getting open. It takes a highly focused and trained team to get all of this together, and I'm going to make the blanket statement that our boys are going to have a problem with for awhile until it all sinks in. Going back to what I have said over and over, simplifying expectations should result in more retension in the long term, and hopefully more offensive production. Thanks for the link, it really helped. Look at this carefully, and realize it will take some time before our boys will be able to fully comprehend what a Zebra Solo Right Plus - 2 Jet Flaker Drive is. Simplify, or be content to have no offense until the players are capable of comprehended this scheme, which could have us waiting for a long time.

Yes the names are long but the names of the plays are basically a second language. It isn't like its some kind of random name that they threw together. Each on of those words means something so in essence if you can memorize what the words stand for you can figure out what the play is.

And its funny how now people don't like the motion because it is too complicated. In the last two games everyone was complaining of about how vanilla Callahan's playcalling was, now its too complicated? I read on a different board that this team is basically running a lot of the same plays just in different formations. So you can preach all you want about how "complicated" this offense is but lets be real here. This offense is still watered down a lot so being complicated isn't even the issue, yet. Just because us fans don't understand the verbage doesn't mean that it is too complicated. It just means were uneducated about the subject.

I think the last big thing that people are forgetting right now is what happened last year with Joe Dailey as QB. I think that this offensive coaching staff right now is not willing to take the chance of calling big plays. There are very few called if you've noticed. It seems that most of the plays called are meant to be safe, and by that I mean safe from turnovers. Joe threw tons of picks last year and because them lost us several games. So I think its these coaches' goal this year to make sure that the teams we play beat us, not by us giving it to them with turnovers and good field position. Much better to take a sack and be able to punt the ball away than to throw a pick and put them in scoring position.

Anyways that's all for my first post.

I am noticing, that, in that very well laid out website, all the references are to NFL teams............

Which is perfectly fine.

But I think for the sake of the college kids, BC should not be telling the kids to memorize those sorts of things. dedhoarse It is very complex, and interesting, and I might look into it a whole lot more later on........

welcome aboard, never summer.

Interesting username...

I can dig what you're saying. But I'm firm on where I stand on this. It's a matter of execution. Coaching to down on the field, something isn't working. Now maybe Pitt played awesome defense, on top of the penalties. And yeah, I would expect a conservative offense

But still, even simple plays, when executed properly should at least earn first downs consistently. I would rather NU practiced 1 play, or 1 run and one pass, (for the sake of example), and just work on that. But when it comes to game day, those few plays would be extraordinarily soundly executed.

That, to me, is more important than a fat playbook.

Like my Daddy said to me

"I fear not the man who practices 1000 techniques

but the man who practices 1 technique 1000 times"

(it was also a quote he had framed, but he did say it to me once, as well)

But BC is trying his hardest to make it the authentic WCO anyway. If he has his druthers, we will be quickly.

No one in the country, pro or otherwise, runs an authentic west coast offense. Not even Shannahan and he helped invent it. Callahan is going to run the offense he knows; his offense.

I agree with what your saying on the execution of a few plays, and I guess that's why I'm saying that right now this offense shouldn't be considered too complex to run yet. Right now we are only running a limited number of plays, and I guess I assume these are plays that they've practiced numerous times. I guess if we are already running limited number of plays, how much more simplified can things get?

Oh, and the name is from a snowboard company in Colorado. I'm a big snowboarder, as well as a big husker fan.