Interesting article from the Utah Free Press

The writer is just one of us -- a Nebraska fan (check out the T-shirt he's wearing in the profile photo), and the Utah Free Press is just his blog. (See other entries at utahfreepress.com) The post is his opinion, his interpretation of rules. It's nice, but it has no more authority than a long post. It's his rant, not impartial press from outside Nebraska (OK, he lives outside Nebraska, but he's neither a journalist nor impartial).

The NCAA isn't required to investigate and A&M isn't risking any sanction.

Good catch on realizing he is a Husker fan, but he does cite some pretty specific rules that the violators are required to report those instances. Do you have evidence or a source that says they do not? Or am I missing your point?

First, I want to be clear that I think Beebe should have suspended the Iowa State player who wrenched Burkhead's neck and should have suspended the A&M ball-grabber. A&M has agriculture roots; maybe that kid is a veterinary science student who thought he was in a castration lab. Don't know.

Those were the two dirtiest plays I've seen this year in a Husker game.

I also agree with the opinions in Okleberry's blog post. But I don't like to see some dude's opinionated twisting of rules portrayed as neutral journalism, and that's what has happened here.

Here are my points: Because Okleberry lives in Utah and calls his blog the "Utah Free Press," some fans on this and other message boards have pointed to his blog post as a neutral assessment of the Big 12 violating NCAA rules. He's just a fan, a Nebraska fan, with a blog and, apparently, some free time.

Reading it the first time, I thought it was likely that he was stretching a bit in his interpretation of the rules. I've never heard of an NCAA investigation of a conference's reaction to something that happened on the field. I've never heard of a school being penalized by the NCAA for failing to suspend a player who wasn't suspended by the conference.

Here's what Okleberry said:

"... During the game Eric Martin of Nebraska led with the top of his helmet when making an open field hit on Andrew Hudson of OSU. The Big 12 Commissioner was then required to review the video of the hit under NCAA rules ..."

Regarding Cotton, he wrote: "Nebraska fans expected the Big 12 Commissioner to enforce NCAA regulations regarding Uncalled, Flagrant Fouls; but no suspension ever came."

Here's what the NCAA rule says (Note article 3, the key word being "MAY." Nothing in the NCAA rules require, as Okleberry says they do, a review of the video.):

SECTION 6. Flagrant Personal Fouls

Player Ejection

ARTICLE 1. When a player is disqualified from the game due to a flagrant personal foul, that team’s conference shall automatically initiate a video review for possible additional sanctions prior to the next scheduled game.

Initiating Contact/Targeting an Opponent

ARTICLE 2. When there is a foul called for initiating contact/targeting an opponent (Rule 9-1-3) that does not result in a player disqualification, there shall automatically be a video review by the conference for possible additional sanctions prior to the next scheduled game.

Foul Not Called

ARTICLE 3. If subsequent review of a game by a conference reveals plays involving flagrant personal fouls that game officials did not call, the conference may impose sanctions prior to the next scheduled game.

---

The key here is that, much as we all believe the ISU player and A&M player should have been suspended, since no foul was called during the game regarding their conduct, Beebe was not required to review it under NCAA rules, as Okleberry said he was. And even if he was required, any action was at his discretion.

As Okleberry noted: "the Big 12 Charter clearly states, “The Commissioner shall have the responsibility for and is authorized to provide rulings and interpretations of the Rules (1.7.7).” " So he interprets at his discretion.

---

Okleberry does cite Big 12 rules that require a review. OK, maybe so, but Beebe is given full authority to interpret as he will.

What Okleberry did was create a rhetorical stew of references to Big 12 rules, which are interpreted as Beebe deems fit, and NCAA rules, which don't require a review or reporting of an unflagged onfield incident, and try to make it sound like a major NCAA violation had occurred.

+1 for all the reserach and you answered my question well. I guess the big 12 did not violate any rules, however they have been very hypocritical in their decisions to supspend or not suspend players

Guy's come on get over it. You're playing in the Big XII Championship Game. It's time to move on. I have a couple of points..

1. I'm sure no one say Arkansas's QB Ryan Mallett PUNCH an Aggie linebacker in the junk. Officials didn't see it and wasn't penalized. We lost but guess what...the sun came up the next day.

2. I Googled Utah Free Press. The majority of the articles in this "newspaper" were articles condemning Texas A&M. I thought why would a newspaper in Utah be so upset about little ole Texas A&M...then I discovered it was a bias fan letter written by a Nebraska fan that apparently lives in Utah. I assure you it is a good way to get rid of frustration but it is certainly not any way to prove anything.

So get over it. Beat OU in the Championship game and move on with your lives. Humans are starving around the world. Americans are dieing in Afganistan, unemployment is skyrocketing, etc etc etc...

Whining and moaning will not do anything but reflect back upon you. Life is not fair.

Good luck on your future in the Big 10 and hope you do well. I really mean that. You are better than this.

you know, i was just thinking, when Bo went off on Cotton after the double penalty....kinda of stupid on Pelini's part, not knowing Cotton was having his nut sack grabbed repeatedly, wonder how Bo would act if his nut sack was grabbed repeatedly?......personal foul for kicking??...the whole thing was just stupid and once again Pelini didn't see what was happening to Burkhead or Pelini, but just blew up on the kids...he needs to get all the facts before ripping these kids apart....the whole thing still bothers me.

It's comments like these that make me go hmmmm. I sometimes wonder if those who write these little nuggets actually even ever played the game of football. When there is a pile, there are lots of bodies down there fighting for the ball. This is where some of the nastiest things that can ever happen in a game happen. Ankles get twisted in 180's, facemasks yanked, eyes poked, nuts punched, backs and stomachs get cleated, etc. Typically, it always goes unnoticed because there's too many bodies and usually it occurs at the bottom of the pile. I remember how easily claims made by Chad May back in the day were dismissed by NU fans when he claimed NU players were gouging at his eyes at the bottom of the pile. I don't necessarily think Cotton's kick was the big issue for him getting reemed by Bo. It was his second penalty when he pulled off his helmet and started mouthing the ref. This would bother any coach. Things happen out on the field. I'd venture to guess that at some point in time Bo has had hist nutsack grabbed or kicked when he played football. I'd venture to guess that almost all of us that have played football have had things like this done to us.

Guy's come on get over it. You're playing in the Big XII Championship Game. It's time to move on. I have a couple of points..

1. I'm sure no one say Arkansas's QB Ryan Mallett PUNCH an Aggie linebacker in the junk. Officials didn't see it and wasn't penalized. We lost but guess what...the sun came up the next day.

2. I Googled Utah Free Press. The majority of the articles in this "newspaper" were articles condemning Texas A&M. I thought why would a newspaper in Utah be so upset about little ole Texas A&M...then I discovered it was a bias fan letter written by a Nebraska fan that apparently lives in Utah. I assure you it is a good way to get rid of frustration but it is certainly not any way to prove anything.

So get over it. Beat OU in the Championship game and move on with your lives. Humans are starving around the world. Americans are dieing in Afganistan, unemployment is skyrocketing, etc etc etc...

Whining and moaning will not do anything but reflect back upon you. Life is not fair.

Good luck on your future in the Big 10 and hope you do well. I really mean that. You are better than this.

Unfortunately you undermined your own point right here. By your standard the entire message board is a waste of time, the game of football itself is a waste of time. As far as football fans are concerned, this isn't some passing issue. I'm happy enough that we're escaping this corrupt conference. You, on the other hand, should be more worried than we are. The same corruption and incompetence that screwed us out of a fair competition may one day ruin your hopes at a conference championship, or a title.

Something to think about.

Aggies are actually you friends. We don't enjoy being here (Big 12) any more than you do. It is all political but we will be leaving (hopefully for the SEC)in a few years.

We had never had any problems with Nebraska and even looked forward to traveling to Lincoln and your fans seemed to enjoy College Station.

Don't let your last game reflect upon the Aggies. We have no malace towards you. We like you. My point was the game is over. You are playing for the Big 12 Championship and the loss to us did you no harm. Let's look forward.

We really wish you all the best in the Big 10.

We are not the Big 12....we are just Texas A&M and I assure you they dislike us as much as they dislke you.

Peace.

Aggies are actually you friends. We don't enjoy being here (Big 12) any more than you do. It is all political but we will be leaving (hopefully for the SEC)in a few years.

We had never had any problems with Nebraska and even looked forward to traveling to Lincoln and your fans seemed to enjoy College Station.

Don't let your last game reflect upon the Aggies. We have no malace towards you. We like you. My point was the game is over. You are playing for the Big 12 Championship and the loss to us did you no harm. Let's look forward.

We are not the Big 12....we are just Texas A&M and I assure you they dislike us as much as they dislke you.

Peace.

I think if you read through these forums you'll find an overwhelming amount of good sentiment towards A&M. Most of us have zero issue with you guys and respect you as a fan base - and always have.

Our only issue with the game has always been the officials. Texas A&M is a class operation, and we wish you all the luck in the world. It seems like you're going to be the only sane folks left in this conference. Here's hoping you survive to better times.

Peace.

I agree about the relationship between the two fan bases, you ags are a classy bunch and I have a lot of respect for you. That being said please don't take our criticism of the officals, and the big 12 in general as a slight at your program or fan base. We only bring up the jerrod-eddie situation becuase it is clearly wores than what Eric Martin did and the punnishments do not fit the crime. We are not bashing A&M myself and husker nation in general think very highly of your program and your fan base.

I really mean that. You are better than this.

In some ways, I really want to agree with this. But, alas, I cannot.

Having class does not mean allowing oneself to be run over without complaint. In fact, taking principled stands (however unpopular the perception) is one of the hallmarks of class.

If standing up for ourselves by raising holy hell about this situation damages our reputation to people hundreds of miles away who will never set foot in this state, so be it. That is an acceptable cost for standing up for those kids who give their blood, sweat, and tears every Saturday for the people of this state and for each other.

So, sure, call it "whining". But if it puts the spotlight on the Big 12 (as it surely has) and helps to ensure a fairly-called game in the CCG, we're willing to take the jabs so those kids out there aren't punished for the petty hubris of the powers that be(ebe) in this conference.

:rant

Best of luck to the Aggies in the future :cheers

• Fire 1

Cool to see a dude from Utah writing about this.

while the article was written for the Utah Free Press, keep in mind that the author of the article, Richard Okelberry, grew up in Omaha, NE

Yea, at first I thought this was an article from a paper in Utah. Now I know its just some dudes blog post. The whole "Utah Free Press" thing kinda throws ya.

I was actually going to agree with your post, right up until you compared us losing the A&M game to actual soldiers losing their lives in Afghanistan. I can't believe you had the nerve to say that. You, sir, are a complete idiot. With that line of thinking, football itself is a meaningless waste of time when soldiers are dying overseas.

I was actually going to agree with your post, right up until you compared us losing the A&M game to actual soldiers losing their lives in Afghanistan. I can't believe you had the nerve to say that. You, sir, are a complete idiot. With that line of thinking, football itself is a meaningless waste of time when soldiers are dying overseas.

I think you misunderstood him. He was saying that the Afghanistan conflict is more important. He wasn't equating our loss to their deaths, nor was he saying he thinks that's what we're doing.