Black Out?

I am not quite sure how I feel about this. I do think it is an interesting idea, but not sure how the offense would take it. The coaches have all said that you win and lose as a team. I know that the blackshirts have stepped it up (similar to a couple of years ago), but I think the offensive players need our support right now more than ever. They do hear the criticism and though they may say that it does not bother them...it does.

Don't get me wrong, I have strong criticisms of what BC and JN are doing thus far, and I realize part of the blame must lie upon the players, but I think we should show them (players) our undying support. Especially with the way things are going.

Yes, this I am sure would be something done with the utmost sincerety, and not meant to criticize the offensive players, but I wonder if it would be worth the risk of damaging their confidence of the players even more if taken the wrong way.

Cory McKeon also called on the STUDENT SECTION to participate in this, but did not ask to include any other part of the stadium.

I think it would be cool for the student section. Those guys have been fired up all season, and they will get the word to do this more than any other fans.

I doubt this would work for the rest of the stadium. Too many 'others' are set in their ways, would do nothing but complain, wouldn't even hear about it, etc. It isn't like they asked to change this forever, just ONE game in the STUDENT section. Not too much to ask, and a great idea.

Besides, ISU will bring a red color with them (and also that hideous yellow :lame ) So the black would definitely stand out.

Wali Muhammad alos calling for student black out. If your going to the game, let the students take part in this, not general fans

NU football notebook, 9/22: Nebraska's McKeon calls for ‘black out'

Wali Muhammad alos calling for student black out. If your going to the game, let the students take part in this, not general fans

Nebraska middle linebacker Corey McKeon wants to get the word out.

For the Huskers’ Oct. 1 home game against Iowa State, McKeon said, he’s calling on Nebraska’s student body to wear black to the contest as a symbolic gesture for NU’s surging “Blackshirts” defense.

“I’m telling everyone, spreading the word,” the sophomore said Wednesday. “Iowa State’s got a great offense. It’s our Big 12 Conference opener. Boom. We want a black out.”

McKeon, Nebraska’s leading tackler with 26 stops, said he was moved emotionally after Saturday’s 7-6 win against Pitt, when many in the Memorial Stadium crowd chanted “defense” as the Huskers left the field.

“I was like, ‘This is awesome, we have to keep this going,’ ” McKeon said.

The Huskers (3-0) — who rank ninth nationally in total defense — are in the midst of a bye week. Last season, they dropped a 34-27 decision to the Cyclones in Ames, Iowa, the start of a three-game slide to end the season.

-- PRACTICE REPORT: The Huskers practiced in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts in 100-degree heat Wednesday at Memorial Stadium. “These are great practices for us,” offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. “They give us a chance to do a lot of fundamental things. We have gone back to the basics in a lot of areas this week.” NU will practice again today before taking the following two days off.

I don't really like the whole B****** idea. We, as husker fans, are known as the Sea of Red. Black is not one of our colors. Furthermore, I think it's somewhat devisive for the team if McKeon is saying to everyone support the defense by wearing black. How about we support the whole team and wear the team color - red.

I don't really like the whole B****** idea. We, as husker fans, are known as the Sea of Red. Black is not one of our colors. Furthermore, I think it's somewhat devisive for the team if McKeon is saying to everyone support the defense by wearing black. How about we support the whole team and wear the team color - red.

How about the idea of black towels? I have heard of that idea a couple times in the last week. I personally think it would be pretty cool, 78000 fans in red waving black towels when the defense is on the field.

We are known as the sea of red, but our defense is also known as the Blackshirts, and not many schools have that. Lot's of schools may give special jerseys or helmet stickers for accomplishments, but it doesn't define them like it does the Husker defense. Not many announcers out there say the Husker defense is taking the field, but alot of them say "HERE COME THE BLACKSHIRTS!" (crowd roars and waves black towels) :box

How about the idea of black towels? I have heard of that idea a couple times in the last week. I personally think it would be pretty cool, 78000 fans in red waving black towels when the defense is on the field.

We are known as the sea of red, but our defense is also known as the Blackshirts, and not many schools have that. Lot's of schools may give special jerseys or helmet stickers for accomplishments, but it doesn't define them like it does the Husker defense. Not many announcers out there say the Husker defense is taking the field, but alot of them say "HERE COME THE BLACKSHIRTS!" (crowd roars and waves black towels) :box

Even Mushmouth calls 'em The Blackshirts...