Still no respect for Blackshirts?

HuskersGJ

I realize we haven't exactly played 3 offensive power houses this season but the Huskers severe lack of offense seems to be blocking out the attention spotlight for the Blackshirts.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I was a bit annoyed today watching the college coaching show on ESPNews this morning. They were talking about V-Tech's defense being tied for #1 in Scoring Defense. The other #1 being Nebraska. but they had V-Tech highlighted, noting that the highlight indicated "only allowed 1 touchdown allowed in 3 games".

again, only V-Tech was highlighted so apparently only V-Tech has allowed 1 TD in 3 games...? Did I miss something? doesn't that statistic also match the Blackshirts performance so far?

regardless of opponents played, a fact is a fact. Technically Nebraska too should have gotten the highlight love from ESPN for the stat.

not to mention... it was said on here that Lou Holtz is crazy. I don't know about that but sometimes he does sound as if he speaks the exact same language that Ozzy Osborne speaks. That mumbling jumble of "words" and sounds that make you crosseyed just listening to him.

If we show solid efforts the next two games then I will give them a ton of respect and give cosgrove respect for turning them around. Last year cosgrove and defense was getting props aswell until T Tech game when we finally played a good offense. I think the same might happen this year.

And I bet you can't wait to tell everyone You told em so too!

well i can tell you this for sure, if the damn offense doesn't spend more time on the field and they keep going 3 and out, our D will be dead tired trying to cover Tech receivers and putting on the pass rush......if that happens, then yes, we will fall flat on our a$$e$......

hunter

The only problem is, even if our offense is a LITTLE more productive, we still won't have a huge T.O.P. given the NATURE of the offense. Sorry, I know this has been dedhoarse

TTech QB is comfortable right now playing teams like Sam Houston St, but anyone will tell you that a first time QB starting against teams that actually have a defense will make several mistakes. We have been putting pressure on the QB for 3 games now and i don't see any reason to back off by putting 8 guys in the backfield and only rushing 3 guys

I hear what your saying about VT being a top 10 team etc etc. and as i said, we haven't exactly played super offenses but the fact is, they attributed the statistic as only applying to VT, though it is also true of the Blackshirts. How hard is it to put the little highlight on both teams if it applies?!

by the end of the season we may be no where near the top ten (i predict/hope we will be but who knows) so we may as well get the corrections in there while they're still applicable.

Yup they made a mistake. They tried to pick a stat that would show VT's defense as better than ours.. and i guess they forgot to look it up. The difference is VT gave up 16 to NC State, and then shut out Duke and Ohio. I don't care what teams you play.. it's quite a feat to pitch two consecutive shutouts... so I think, at this point, they're defense is a bit better than ours. But who knows anything until we start playing good teams. And only beating NC State by 4 points.. that's kinda weak for a #8 rated team isn't it?

Yup they made a mistake. They tried to pick a stat that would show VT's defense as better than ours.. and i guess they forgot to look it up. The difference is VT gave up 16 to NC State, and then shut out Duke and Ohio. I don't care what teams you play.. it's quite a feat to pitch two consecutive shutouts... so I think, at this point, they're defense is a bit better than ours. But who knows anything until we start playing good teams. And only beating NC State by 4 points.. that's kinda weak for a #8 rated team isn't it?

To be fair, NC State has the two best DEs in the country. Against a rushing team, that get's rough.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no love for this guy.

Iowa native Tiedtke plays key role for Huskers

Saturday’s football game against Iowa State has the same meaning for Blake Tiedtke as it does for every other Husker. Just another important game in the Big 12 Conference’s North Division. The fact Tiedtke is an Iowa native? Not that big of a deal, Tiedtke said.

“Not really, anymore,” said Tiedtke, who’s from Cedar Rapids. He grew up an Iowa Hawkeye fan and never really cared for Iowa State, anyway.

“Maybe if it was my freshman year (it’d be big),” Tiedtke said. “I mean, it’s exciting. I have a couple of guys on the team I know.”

One is Iowa State starting strong safety Nik Moser, a teammate of Tiedtke’s in the Iowa Shrine Bowl. Coincidentally, Tiedtke is the starting free safety for Nebraska.

A year ago now, that would’ve been hard to imagine or predict for the 2005 season. First of all, nobody knew junior Josh Bullocks would declare for the NFL Draft. And secondly, Tiedtke hardly seemed like a top candidate to replace Bullocks. A former walk-on, Tiedtke played in two games last season and had no tackles.

Now, after an offseason in which he was named the team’s most improved defensive player in the spring and earned a scholarship, Tiedtke has a blackshirt. And he’ll play a key role Saturday against a very balanced Iowa State offense.

“His key reads will be critical, just because their run game is so efficient,” Nebraska safeties coach Bill Busch said. “And down-the-field routes, they’ve got such big-bodied receivers … so he’s going to be challenged in that area, too, big-time.”

Tiedtke is 5-foot-10. Two of Iowa State’s biggest targets at wide receiver are 6-5 Todd Blythe and 6-4 Jon Davis.

“The secondary, as a whole, we can’t afford to make mistakes,” Tiedtke said. “We have to be in position on every ball, really. We have to make plays. We have to be competitive. We have to read our keys.”

Tiedtke is tied for fourth on the team in tackles with 15. He has one sack, one interception and one pass breakup.

He said he makes up for any height disadvantage by being aggressive when in pass coverage.

“You have to be competitive for the ball,” Tiedtke said. “You can’t let them be the first one after the ball. You have to get up there, get your hands in there and just break it up.”

Busch said he’s impressed with Tiedtke’s change of direction, quick feet and ability to react quickly and make plays in space.

Remember when Tiedtke roamed across the field to track down Pittsburgh wide receiver Greg Lee? It looked like Lee, who’d caught a deep pass by outjumping cornerback Cortney Grixby for the ball, was destined to score. Tiedtke’s tackle saved a touchdown, and the Panthers settled for a field goal after the 73-yard gain.

“His key read took him away from the action, from where the ball was thrown,” Busch said. “He was completely on the opposite sideline.”

Tiedtke also plays on punt return, kickoff return and kickoff coverage.

“You always gain respect, fast, at any position in football, when you’re tough,” Busch said. “That’s what got him initial respect, how physically and mentally tough he was, how he’d get after you.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

From rojo on another board:

Open DE": Berryman/Smith versus Moore/Muhammad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Berryman’s story is the stuff that the ABC sideline fluff-person will be reporting on. Berryman's on-the-field performance will be the talk too. He’s a good one---and likely has been anticipating going against our Tackles.

But compare....

Iowa State “Open Defensive Ends”:

#1 Jason Berryman (6’3” 250, So.):

--15 tackles (11 solo + 4 assists)

--1.5 Tackles-for-Loss

--1.0 Sacks

--1 QB-hurry

--Break-up: 1

--Interception: 1

--Fumble recovered: 1

#2 Korey Smith (6’ 4” 245, Jr.):

--No stats so far this year….

Nebraska “Open Defensive Ends”:

#1 Jay Moore (6’ 4” 270, Jr)

--7 tackles: (5 solo + 2 assts)

--2.0 Tackles-for-Loss

--0.5 Sacks

--1 QB-hurry

--1 forced fumble

#2 Wali Muhammad (6’ 1” 225, Sr)

--11 tackles: (7 solo + 4 assts)

--6.0 Tackles-for-Loss

--4.0 Sacks

The Bottom Line:

1) Jason Berryman will get “the talk.” But performance-wise, Nebraska seems to be getting more out of the “Open DE” position than is ISU.

2) Actually it’s the “Base DE’s” for ISU and NU who have the most impressive numbers so far: Adam Carriker & ISU’s Shawn Moorehead.

3) Both Brett Meyer and Zac Taylor will be feeling some heat tomorrow….

Just some things to think about….