Solich wants OC Job????

I heard Solich interviewed last year and he was very open to the idea of one day returning to Nebraska to finish his coaching career and was willing to be an assistant.

I don't think this is too likely... but if it happens, I'll be happy. A part of me died when I heard Solich was fired. I just couldn't believe Nebraska would do that to one of its own sons after a 9-3 season.

Look what the idiot is doing to Pitt!!! He fired a coach thats good an did a good job, makes him resign (fires him) in hope to replace him with someone better or worse ie Watson!!!!

Cant rule anything out on a Solich issue. We all know how Bo feels towards Frank, and let's face it, if it werent for one critical decision on Frank's part, we would never have had or have the coaching staff we had in 2003 or currently. Personally, i think Solich would be step up of Watson, essentially that's what he was for Osborne tho he never actually retained that title. He consulted with Coach Osborne from the press box prior and after every play. Just another example of a good asst coach that just doesnt have what it takes to run the whole show.

Ok you have Solich that if it wasent for him we prolly wouldnt have Bo as our head coach, an Bo wouldnt have had his past jobs (you know the jobs) he wouldnt be on anyones radar... Solich gave him a shot and our school with TO gave him the shot to be a head coach when no one else would.. That has to mean something to him and with Solichs ties to TO and the fact BO could have a chance to return the favor, how can that go wrong??? Bring back the option we all want to see, bring back a offense that can an will win titles... Look down the long road here, BO isnt a NEB boy and like some have said he prolly wont be here in 10yrs if even that... If its true we have Frank no matter what to fall back on if he is on our team an that makes me feel alot better.. We need to accept times have changed an the days of loyalty are gone....

Bring back the complete lack of regard for recruiting? No thanks. Frank is a good guy and we have a lot to thank him for. You can say that about a lot of other guys, too, and none of them deserve to occupy one of the precious few spots we have on our staff.

Sad though, since Solich would probably get endlessly more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside.

Ok you have Solich that if it wasent for him we prolly wouldnt have Bo as our head coach, an Bo wouldnt have had his past jobs (you know the jobs) he wouldnt be on anyones radar... Solich gave him a shot and our school with TO gave him the shot to be a head coach when no one else would.. That has to mean something to him and with Solichs ties to TO and the fact BO could have a chance to return the favor, how can that go wrong??? Bring back the option we all want to see, bring back a offense that can an will win titles... Look down the long road here, BO isnt a NEB boy and like some have said he prolly wont be here in 10yrs if even that... If its true we have Frank no matter what to fall back on if he is on our team an that makes me feel alot better.. We need to accept times have changed an the days of loyalty are gone....

I in no way shape or form want to see the option offense. It won't work anymore, defenses are too fast. And don't tell me about Georgia Tech, they lost to Kansas.

I in no way shape or form want to see the option offense. It won't work anymore, defenses are too fast. And don't tell me about Georgia Tech, they lost to Kansas.

Oregon runs an option offense. Seems to be working ok, to the tune of 50 points per game.

• Fire 1

Bring back the complete lack of regard for recruiting? No thanks. Frank is a good guy and we have a lot to thank him for. You can say that about a lot of other guys, too, and none of them deserve to occupy one of the precious few spots we have on our staff.

Sad though, since Solich would probably get endlessly more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside.

Ok damn cant argue with that but can I ask a question?? He has been a HC else where and he has produced a good team year in, year out for the location and with what he has had to work with, so cant you believe maybe he can recruit a little better???

Oregon runs an option offense. Seems to be working ok, to the tune of 50 points per game.

Oregon really lives off the zone read, which is more or less what we are trying to do. Granted, they have been perfecting that system and have the OL for it while we are in year 1, and a bit different in style.

Plus, their offense completely disappeared against California so it's not like it's been totally consistent :P And they played a lot of bad defenses. :P No, I like Oregon's offense a lot. Just being contentious here.

1. If Solich was an offensive coordinator, he'd have as much input into recruiting as Watson does. They're going to go after the players that BO wants.

2. Back when he was here, I remember a rumor that went around about he Solich wanted to recruit Danny Woodhead, and how Nebraska fans generally thought that was a terrible idea, and an example of Solich settling for in state talent rather than looking abroad. Nebraska fans were either wrong about Solich wanting to recruit Woodhead, or they were wrong about Woodhead. Either way, the fans look stupid.

3. Yeah, Solich would clearly "get more rope here no matter any struggles, just because of his past as a Nebraska guy, than anyone outside." Because that's exactly what happened last time, when he was fired after going 9-3. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oregon does not run a traditional option offense. They run the same offense we run now, the zone read.

Ok damn cant argue with that but can I ask a question?? He has been a HC else where and he has produced a good team year in, year out for the location and with what he has had to work with, so cant you believe maybe he can recruit a little better???

Yeah, he's been head coach at Ohio.......now I am not familiar at all with his work there, but if he is showing something as a recruiter now it would be very surprising to me. I'll believe it when I see it, especially when the problem back then was, I believe, an attitude. Disdaining to recruit basically until the season was over. I respect that, because I don't like the recruiting game too much in principle, and I respect focusing on your team and your guys. But that is just no way to go anymore.

Why do you even believe that, other than his name is Frank Solich? With almost any coaching hire, I would say take the guy's name out and replace it with something completely random. If he is still a good candidate...then you can consider.

How much responsibility would he have for recruiting? Or how much responsibility would he have to have for recruiting? I mean, Norm Chow is about the worst recruiter you could possibly imagine and USC still managed to pull in top-5 recruiting classes when he was the OC simply because recruiting was left to other, more charismatic coaches on the team.

I have to say, it would be one hell of a coincidence for both Solich and Mangino to be in Lincoln at roughly the same time if neither coach was here to interview for an OC position at Nebraska.

Oregon really lives off the zone read, which is more or less what we are trying to do. Granted, they have been perfecting that system and have the OL for it while we are in year 1, and a bit different in style.

Plus, their offense completely disappeared against California so it's not like it's been totally consistent :P And they played a lot of bad defenses. :P No, I like Oregon's offense a lot. Just being contentious here.

They do play bad defenses, and they're going to struggle more against Auburn. They also rely on their tempo too much, rather than just execution.

However, what they run is an option offense, and it works. Auburn runs it too, as does Florida, as did Texas in 2005, and so on...

While Oregon's bread and butter is the zone read, they have incorporated the lateral option very effectively, and they've incorporated playaction pass off the zone read much more effectively than we have. Haven't seen them use playaction pass off the lateral option but it wouldn't be hard to implement, and it would be effective.

Just because Frank didn't include the zone read back then, doesn't mean he wouldn't now. The zone read came into its own just after Frank left. If it had been more prominent at the time, I guarantee you we would have seen plenty of zone read with Jammal Lord in the backfield. And it would have been beautiful.