The Making Of A Championship Team

Roy CO HSKR

I would sit Peterson down and tell him As of right now, the Football program isn't headed in the direction I would like to see. If Callahan doesn't get to a Bowl game this year Billy C. must go. If Nebraska doesn't win the North in 2 years both of them must go.

A lot of Damage has been done to the Huskers over the last 2 seasons. The only thing we have left is the sellout streak. If things continue as they are now, that will be the next streak to end.

Coach Kevin- That's no severe ultimatum if you are unhappy with the current direction, because with three more wins the bowl is in the bag. Giving 2 yrs for the Big 12 North title is not a great deal of pressure, either.

From your earlier comments I thought you would surely fire BC immediately or, at the very least, demand the Big 12 title this year! I guess I took you too seriously. Both the AD and BC probably have higher goals than you demand right now.

I still believe that BC is the right guy. Most still fail to realize just how far we are down in talent. Pelini made the statement we had no one on our team that could make the top 3 at Oklahoma. This is from a person some of you admire.

We are so far down in overall talent it is unbeliveable. We had one good recruiting class and you expect to wipe away 5 years of absolutely terrible classes. It just is not going to happen as quickly as some think.

I do not know if BC will get the job done. But as a program and a fan base we need him to succeed. We need it more now than we did last year. If he is fired who do you think would take the job? What person in their right mind would want this job. None of the top coaches wanted last time, what would their response be now.

I do not like what I am seeing on the field either. But we have to establish a solid base. Changing coaches every two or three years leads to the Alabama syndrom. Talent is what wins games, not coaches, when we have talent on par with Texas, Oklahoma, or even Texas Tech then you can scream. We are two years away from that at least. No other major program depends on Juco's and Freshman to make their team successfull. We are in that situation. Until we aren't things are going to be shakey.

With good coaching, those are acheavable goals.

Pelini can say what he wants. I beleave we lost most of the secondary to the NFL draft off that same Team Pelini was speaking about. How many of OU's Secondary from last year are in the NFL? Do you realy beleave OU was 3 deep with NFL Talent in their secondary?

How does 10-2 Team with a bunch of starters returning, all of a sudden have no talent and goes 5-6?

Who would take the Nebraska job? That depends on who the A/D is.

Well we were 10-3 with wins over no one except a OKState team that would have beat us later in the season IMHO. We were drug through the dirt by 3 teams that we need to be competitive with. We were not, nor are we now. This goes back to talent and depth. We do not have the depth to be a top tier program and will not for awhile. Get used to it. The previous staff put us here.

We lost the defense when Hollowell and Super D left. The other 2 that got drafted quit on this team and program. I have no use for them at all. This year they seem to be playing together but I am waiting for the first sign of a truly competitive offensive unit. We shall see if all the quitters are gone. I suspect we will see the 3rd one from last year chiming in. I hope I am wrong, but leopards do not change their spots.

We were left with a QB that could not run any offense, a truck load of people that quit at the first opportunity. This is what the coaching staff fought all last year. We did not have an offensive line last year, nor the year before or the year before or the one before that. Remember the Rose Bowl and our super line looked like it was nailed to the ground. Big fat line man do not do well unless you have dept to replace them when they get tired. Funoti and Villa walldrop had dorsal fins.

It has no bearing on who the AD is. It has to do with support. If we pull the plug on BC before he has the time to right the ship no one of any talent will come here. We could not get them to come before. Meyers was the one we wanted. He wanted nothing to do with us. Too much preasure to win with a program that had been blasted for years for not having talent. He turned down ND because the talent was supposedly not there and Florida was loaded. Coaches go where they can win. None felt Nebraska could.

Learn to deal with reality. That is where we are. We need the fans to understand this is the only ball game in town. This staff whether you like them or not needs to survive and succeed or this program is done as a major player for many many years.

Skersfab_ You have expressed the reality of the current situation. The naysayers want so badly to blame everything on the coaches and the AD. Your're absolutely correct when you said its more about talent than anything else. The anti-BC crowd still is confused that the 10-3 season was all about good coaching and good talent. You're right in that we were embarassed by UT, KSU and MU and surprised the OSU team in that first game. The wins were against nobodies. It was truly deceiving that we were any good. That is the reason that Trev Alberts stated succinctly that we had a horrible lack of talent 2 years ago, when he was on the USC practice field with those players!

Pelini can say what he wants. I beleave we lost most of the secondary to the NFL draft off that same Team Pelini was speaking about. How many of OU's Secondary from last year are in the NFL? Do you realy beleave OU was 3 deep with NFL Talent in their secondary?

Actually OU had 4 guys from their Defensive backfield drafted in the first Five rounds last year. Also they returned three guys this year that played a lot of minutes last year. NU had the two guys drafted that's it. So maybe Pelini was right.

Have not recieved any votes yet this year.

We also received votes when the first poll came out. Just thought you might like to know that.

I do not blame Sollich for the failure. I blame the system that was embedded at Nebraska. A tired out of date idea that would not draw top talent. I blame the previous AD for not moving forward and standing behind Frank to make changes. He caused this problem. Frank was in a no win situation from the beginning. I am not a basher of Frank. I look at things how they are and why they happened. I felt Frank needed to go due to the loyalty problem he had faced since taking over the program. Bringing Pelini in was in the long run only going to cause problems if Frank had been allowed to stay. This program had many problems that the average fan was not aware of, and was a major reason we could not get commitments from top coaches or top athletes. This program can not withstand much more turmoil. We need to make a united and strong front to support the team and the staff. Loyalty is a quality fans, players and coaches need.

Big Red Smitty: You didn't finish with your changes. After firing the AD and BC who would you install in both positions for this upcoming game? If you have the power you must also follow through and let the other readers what your moves for those 2 positions would be. I hope you don't backtrack and say something silly and weak like you'll wait until the end of the season!

I think it is time for you natsayers to state clearly wht you would do with the program, if you had the power of Chancellor Perlman.  Please be as honest answering this as you have in your previous opinions!

I think if I was making the change that pud did at the time, I would certainly get a coach who could both recruit AND coach. The top of my list wouldnt have been Wanstedt, Nutt, and a guy who just went 4-12.

I would have looked at guys like Urban Myers, Weis, Spurrier, Mike Stoops, Chow, if interested. I would have loved to keep guys in the program like Sanders, Brown, Gill, Williams, and maybe Pelini.

Obviously I am not in that profession and I dont know all of the best coaches and who would be interested, but I would certainly start with someone who is thought of as a great coach also, not just a recruiter.