The Making Of A Championship Team

Roy CO HSKR

I would have looked at guys like Urban Myers, Weis, Spurrier, Mike Stoops, Chow, if interested.

I'm pretty sure Stoops had already been hired or was shortly after Solich was fired. I also seem to remember Urban Meyer giving us a flat denial. The only reason Weis came back to college is because his alma mater came calling, and I just can't see Spurrier coming in here and making any sort of smooth transition either. It's easy to say you'd hire so and so, I could say I would have hired Tony Dungy, or Andy Reid, but that doesn't mean we'd have had a prayer at getting them here.

I am not saying we did not get a good coach and that we took BC because of his recruiting. He was hired becasue he agreed with SP regarding recruiting. That is the main reason Frank is gone. Failure to do what his boss told him was the most important part of his job.

Meyer turned us down, he is the only one mentioned that I would have wanted. I truly wanted Patt Hill from Fresno State. But I do not believe he was offered the job. Most did not want the job for two reasons. Poor to non existant talent and depth and too much preasure to win, firing a 9-3 coach was the kiss of death for the job seekers. Frank should have walked or taken another job within the program. Things would have been much better.

Chow would have been good, but he is too old and will never have a head coaching job in college IMO.

Youth and the ability to identify with the recruits is what SP was after. We have that.

I read an article in the summer of '04 that I would like verified.

Supposedly, the coaches under Solich had their contracts expiring in Feb. Pederson had indicaated to Solich that he was considering whether to expend them or not. Solich took it upon himself to extend all those contracts until the middle of the year. This move created a dissention between the AD and Solich in that when those coches were released, NU was obligated to pay them to the end of that extention.

I have no idea of the accuracy of this author's article. Does anybody know the truth?

Pretty close to right and Frank was told not to do it. Frank felt if he won he would be retained. But Frank refused to make recruiting a priority. Extending the coaches was one of the problems that SP nor Pearlman were not happy about. Giving Pelini a much longer contract did not help. Frank knew the writing was on the wall but did nothing to stop it. Stubborn is the word. I think he had dealt with Byrne and felt he could bully SP, it backfired.

Again this is not a slap at Frank. He was in a no win situation from the start. He never had any authority in the program and had many peers who felt he did not deserve the job. Byrne pulled the emphassis off of the FB program. Just too many problems for Frank to survive and prosper. Like I said there were many many problems, and not the least being certain boosters who wanted Frank gone after the Colorado game.

I really do not think Frank could have survied even if he had started winning, as it would not have been fast enough to the NC for alot of Big Buck Boosters. Whether this staff will be able to do it any faster is the question in my mind. I am willing to give them another two years. If I do not see the improvement by then I will have to agree that BC was an error. But of all that wanted the job or could have been given the job I think he was the best option. It was not a highly desired position no matter how wonderful we think it is.

I am not saying we did not get a good coach and that we took BC because of his recruiting. He was hired becasue he agreed with SP regarding recruiting. That is the main reason Frank is gone. Failure to do what his boss told him was the most important part of his job.

While Im not gonna say that FS was the greatest recruiter in the world, or that we had NC talent under him, but the guys on the Zone (1620 AM) mentioned something interesting:

All of the current starters on the defense were Solich recruits. Hmmmmmm....... <_<

You have just supported the point that experience in the college game is essential. Therefore, the inexperienced offense is struggling. New QB, new offensive lineman and new receivers (3 have been injured - 2 are back). This experience factor is a separate facto from recruiting top talent and coaching. Unfortunately, if all three are not in place, then the impatient sqawk.

Why did Pelini's defense get blown off the field against MU, UT and KSU in his last year? Was it coaching? Was he short of players? Was he being ostracized for those disasters against the only good teams we played that year? The answers could be: some, yes and no.

Is Coz a better defensive coordinator? Does he have better talent? Are his players more experienced? The answers could be: only good opponents will tell us, yes (recruits), yes (veterans).

All of the current starters on the defense were Solich recruits. Hmmmmmm....... <_<

Grixby wasn't a Frankie recruit. Would he have been? Probably but he committed after Frankie got the boot. Also I believe all but three of the offensive guys are Frankie recruits. This doesn't really mean crap if you ask me.

I was wondering about that myself, but I thought that he committed to FS, and stayed when the change took place. Could be wrong, I guess. :blink:

Ron Brown would never work as AD. He does not have the time nor the knowledge to do the job. He does not have the educational background nor the personality to do the job. He is great man and good coach. But AD's are not coaches anymore in the true sense. Hard nosed CEO's of a major business. Turner did not have the experience or knowledge to do the job either in my oppinion. Good Husker player does not mean successfull coach. We have proven that with Frank.

We needed to go outside to bring some who sees outside the box. We have a good AD. I do not like him, but he is doing the job he was hired to do. He is placing the emphasis on the Football program. This has not been done for a long time. He is building the facilities up. Whether he hired the right guy for the job can be questioned but I really do not think there were many that would have taken the job. I sure wish Pat Hill would have considered us if he was even approached. I like his fire and determination and the fact he would play anyone anywhere. He would have been a tremendous coach for Nebraska.

I agree with skersfan that Gill and Brown choices would be a mistake. Like he stated Gill has never been a head coach and ADs are corporate managers, not coaches. Remember the phenomeol high school coach that Notre Dame hired a few years ago that was a bust? Being in the system for years doesn't necessarily translate to head coach success. Just look at Solich as the perfect example of that. He was, of course, in way over his head. The game I went to, 2 years ago against ISU, showed that Solich was calling the plays during the game instead of Barnety Cotton. Of course, TO did that, but the difference is that it was planned that way.