Standhardinger Leaving

redout22

CS has decided to leave the program. Not a huge surprise. Said he would prefer to transfer to another school instead of playing overseas cause school is important to him. Best of luck to him.

Heres the article

Christian Standhardinger showed up at the Nebraska basketball offices Friday with his backpack of books in one hand, and a laptop in the other.

After his short meeting with coach Doc Sadler -- maybe five minutes -- Standhardinger set up shop in an assistant coach's office and began finishing a paper for a class final project.

Standhardinger, noting he earned final grades of A's and B's in his other classes, said he's still focused on receiving a college education.

He just won't finish it at Nebraska.

The sophomore forward from Munich, Germany, who missed Nebraska's past four games because of academic reasons, and hadn't practiced during that time, announced Friday he's leaving the Huskers.

In an interview with the Journal Star on Friday night, Standhardinger cited a lack of playing time as the reason for his decision.

"I just want to make something clear: I'm not leaving because of my teammates or the coaching staff or that I don't like it in Nebraska," Standhardinger said. "I'm just leaving because of one reason, and that is because basketballwise, me and the program didn't fit. Me and the philosophy of Doc didn't fit."

Standhardinger, in six games this season, averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds. Through Nebraska's first five games, Standhardinger led the Huskers in scoring and rebounding, but was tied for seventh on the team in minutes played, averaging 17 per game.

Standhardinger also said he wasn't comfortable playing with his back to the basket at the power forward position.

"I'm a guy who can shoot a midrange shot and can penetrate," he said. "Of course, I have weaknesses with my left hand, and maybe on the defensive side, even if I think I improved on the defensive side a lot. I know the weaknesses. But my strengths are I can shoot the threes and be variable."

Sadler said he was disappointed in Standhardinger's decision, but wanted the player to make the decision that was best for him.

"I've enjoyed coaching Christian," Sadler said. "He brought tremendous energy and competitiveness to the court, and has really worked hard academically to finish the semester on a high note. That is a credit to him, and it has not been easy, but he showed how important academics were to him. I wish him the very best."

Standhardinger said he's had recent offers to play professionally overseas.

"But school is very important for me, and that's why I would prefer to transfer," he said. "Overseas can wait. But if I don't find a good college team, or a college team I think I fit into, of course, overseas would be a very good look."

Standhardinger said he initially considered transferring after his freshman season because he felt he deserved more playing time. He sat out the first half of the 2009-10 season, per an NCAA eligibility ruling, then played in 16 games, averaging 15.3 minutes and 8.1 points. He did not play in two games against Missouri, including the Huskers' upset victory in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament.

"I did think about transferring," Standhardinger said, "but I had a long talk with Doc, and it was a very good talk, and I really loved my teammates, and that's why I decided to stay."

Standhardinger said he had A's and B's in all of his classes before Nebraska's trip to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off in mid-November, but then frustration over lack of playing time, combined with an illness in his family, led to his academic problems.

"I went to class, but I just stopped doing stuff for class," he said.

Standhardinger is the ninth scholarship player recruited by Sadler, who's in his fifth season, to leave the program before completing his eligibility.

"I want to make sure that everybody knows that I really, really do respect Doc Sadler as a person," Standhardinger said. "It's very easy for my teammates and me to respect him. But on the basketball side of the equation, it didn't match, and that's why I had to leave."

"I'm a guy who can shoot a midrange shot and can penetrate"

I liked CS and yes he created offense... but his penetrating left something to be desired in conference play. His soft, european-style way of finishing was too weak against stronger foes. After watching the last couple weeks without him playing, it's obvious he won't be missed much. I wish him luck, though. He definitely plays with some fire and does some good things.