QB Beau Davis commits to

Supposedly he had another offer from Utah or Utah State. The kid's team went 13-1 and he passed for 3300 yards. You never know, remember when Frazier went down and we had to depend on a tall passer by the name of Berringer (God rest his soul). And look at this year's Heisman winner (not too fleet of foot). Ya just never know, a strong arm and a big heart can do wonders.

this kinda bothers me. seems to be just to get a "WCO QB" to say we have one, for recruits or whatever the case. I didnt expect to snatch a QB from Michigan or Flor THIS year, but still, it says alot when the teams that have been passing team for yrs arent even recruiting him let alone offering him anything. Go Joe D!!!

I agree JD is our man right now, or at least I hope so. And who knows if we actually get DT (any new info on him?). However, BC is only going to get what he can this year, considering the timing of the coaching transition was so poor. Kids are going to be watching NU this next season though. I am really curious to see what BC can do when he is able to recruit from day 1.

We have to take a chance on a kid like this. I actually like this move. As someone said we arent in a position to steal any top WCO qbs from top passing schools, so we may have to strike out a time or two but those will be the growing pains that we just have to accept. I think its good that we have a true Cali passing QB to hang our hat on with recruits. This shows people were serious.

Last I heard DT McD was still grieving from his losses and hadnt visited anyone lately. Had a tryout with the Braves last wk and he was clocked at 96 MPH!! wow. what a acquisition this would be for the NU program, baseball included!!

Yes this next yr is bigger than we think for our program. Many think it doesnt matter so much if we stumble, but I think many of the recruits that are giving us a look just based on Callahans name will be watching close next yr to see if he is the real deal or if the Raiders uphevial was warranted. Right now its just a honeymoom period with Coach Call. It will actaully be tougher to recruit next yr b/c he has to prove himself this next season, which will be challenging.

Did you guys hear about his weigh-in last weekend? Remember how when you were in highschool they jacked your vitals way up as to intimidate the other team. Well apparently California is no different. Davis came in at 6-foot-2 1/2 and 158 pounds. Not exactly the 6-4 185 that it said on the label. Im a bit concerned about 158. That is JV weight. I know he'll put on about 15-20 pds of muscle, but if he is this light now, that means he probably has a problem with keeping weight on, so I dont see him getting much higher than 180. It wouldnt be so bad if he didnt run a 4.9. Man I hope this kid has a quick and accurate release.

Well latest I read some where a few days ago is that a big part of offering a guy like this is to get on the good side with that High School's head coach... Every year there are around 3 to 5 D1 players from this school... This year there have been around 4 from this team that have committed already to other D1 schools.

Idea is that Callahan is recruiting some players he is taking a chance with but hoping to build a piple line from some of these schools that yearly produce some of the top notch players...

You konw... if you blow a couple 'ships to open up the flood gates in the future... sounds pretty smart to me... plus none of us really know how good this kid is... Im sure he is much better then most will imagine and half the people this he sucks just cause he is a 2 star... Got to remember how many walk-ons we have had that ended up going to the NFL and having a solid carrer!

Give this kid a chance you may just like the results!

Did you guys hear about his weigh-in last weekend? Remember how when you were in highschool they jacked your vitals way up as to intimidate the other team. Well apparently California is no different. Davis came in at 6-foot-2 1/2 and 158 pounds. Not exactly the 6-4 185 that it said on the label. Im a bit concerned about 158. That is JV weight. I know he'll put on about 15-20 pds of muscle, but if he is this light now, that means he probably has a problem with keeping weight on, so I dont see him getting much higher than 180. It wouldnt be so bad if he didnt run a 4.9. Man I hope this kid has a quick and accurate release.

Well, I'm willing to bet that a redshirt year is coming. I'm concerned about the size/speed ratio also (see my earlier post in this thread), but I suspect that a year of training will significantly increase his weight and drop his forty time a bit. My first posting was to express my feeling that this quarterback won't be on the field much next year, absent significant injuries or complete frustration by the coaching staff toward the quarterbacks on campus - and I would hope that won't happen.

A quick and accurate release is vital in a West Coast offense - but the good news is that quick feet isn't. A passing quarterback simply has to be able to "feel" the pressure, know where to slide, and take a few steps to that spot to buy some time. Look at Dan Marino, or more recently, Payton Manning. Neither carried the name "Twinkle-Toes", but both moved in the pocket at just the right time, in just the right direction.