The towel one on you tube works, but it's kind of dangerous. I did it to my old one but thought it was a good way to start a fire! Is it still under warranty?

No the warranty ran out a couple of years ago. I did some research and determined the "hidden" code on the unit says it has a hardware problem. It had gotten the RROD before and it had overheated. We let it cool and it worked fine for about a year maybe year and a half.

You'll have to send it to Microsoft to be fixed, and there really isn't much way of getting around it. Don't try and tamper with it yourself because then they will DEFINITELY charge you for the work they do if they notice something has been messed with.

But, don't lose hope in not having to pay for anything.

About a year and a half ago, my x-box would take 10-15 minutes to start working. I would turn it on, but nothing would show up on the screen despite the xbox being on. I would have to sit there and turn the xbox on and off for 10-15 minutes before everything would finally click. Eventually, however, the xbox just stopped reading discs entirely and all I kept getting were error codes.

I went online to the xbox support website, opened up a fix-it describing my problem, printed out the free shipping bar code, and sent it out. Two weeks later, my xbox was returned to me with a free 90 day warranty and a free xbox live gold card (even though I already have xbox live). I didn't have to pay anything. Just describe your situation in great detail when you set it up online.

the towel trick is bogus. A) it just introduces more heat to your 360....which if you own one you know it already puts off WAY too much heat anyway.

The RROD problem has to do with a soldering issue, I believe. Microsoft knows it's an issue and so they extended the warranty with this problem. So even though your warranty expired....MS will still honor it. Just go on their tech site and start a tech issue. I never registered my unit and I was 4 years past the expiration....and they honored it.

the towel trick is bogus. A) it just introduces more heat to your 360....which if you own one you know it already puts off WAY too much heat anyway.

The RROD problem has to do with a soldering issue, I believe. Microsoft knows it's an issue and so they extended the warranty with this problem. So even though your warranty expired....MS will still honor it. Just go on their tech site and start a tech issue. I never registered my unit and I was 4 years past the expiration....and they honored it.

I don't think it's bogus, but like I said it is dangerous. It was 2 years ago when I did it to one of ours and it is still working today. I agree that I would talk with them before I did anything. I finally took the time to research a lot of the common problems and have figured out that it is just a lot easier to fix them myself so I don't send them in. We now have 2 of the new slim's in the house so I only have 2 more old ones to replace and hopefully I won't have to deal with as many issues.

As far as trading it for a PS3, I love some of the games for our PS3 but I myself can't stand playing online with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Send it in to Microsoft, the fixed mine for free also. And don't screw with anything or they won't fix it. It takes about two weeks, but its better than paying money. Go to their website and fill out the repair form. They send the box and shipping sticker.

They won't fix all of them.. my old roomate had to pay $100 for microsoft to do it because it was out of the 3 year warranty.. I had my original one do it within 6 months, and it took 2 months to get fixed (october 07).. it then did it again last march-ish i think.. it was literally 10 pm on the day before the extended warranty expired.. so if you've had it over the 3 years (extended RRoD warranty period) there is a chance they won't fix it.