Theee Ohio State

I just heard on the radio that Terrell Pryor was at it yet again. Apparently Pryor received 3 traffic violations while attending the University. Big deal right? Kids will be kids. Well here's the kicker.....While being cited for his traffic citations, all three of his tickets were while he was driving 3 different cars belonging to a local car dealership. The same dealership that proudly displays about two dozen autographed jerseys hanging on the Auto Direct's office. Some of the names are Daniel Herron, Devier Posey, and of course Terrell Pryor. There are also a number of autographs that are scribbled on the wall.

OSU stated that an investigation was conducted by the university and Pryor was cleared. I guess if you close your eyes and pretend that nothing is happening, it really isn't. INCREDIBLE

So we are leaving a conference that Texas paid for(not complaining) to join one that Ohio State controls and just provides payment and benefits to their star players.

In no way shape or from does Ohio State control the Big Ten (this will become apparent to Nebraska fans within a short time of full membership--everyone gets treated fairly--OSU doesn't get any more money than the teams that don't make the bowls even though it is most likely making the conference the most money over the past 10 years); and if you think something as simple as star players being able to drive loaner cars is isolated to Ohio State you are incredibly naive. It shouldn't surprise you at all if there are players on Nebraska that occasionally drive loaner cars. According to the report it is perfectly legal for a ball player to get a loaner car if he is test driving it or his car is in the shop (which according the story was the case, as unbelievable as that may be) moral of the story...this happens so much at big time schools it is almost looked upon as common and okay practice. Not necessarily defending the practice but to scape goat one school b/c there is an idiot quarterback playing there is, as I, said naive.

Sorry needed to defend the alma mater a little bit, and for the person on the other page that said how does OSU get away with this stuff when they hit USC so hard--huge difference in what was happening. Players selling their own property for a couple grand as opposed to the 10s of thousands of $ players were receiving from boosters and agents isn't even in the same ballpark, hell it isn't even the same sport.

So we are leaving a conference that Texas paid for(not complaining) to join one that Ohio State controls and just provides payment and benefits to their star players.

... if you think something as simple as star players being able to drive loaner cars is isolated to Ohio State you are incredibly naive. It shouldn't surprise you at all if there are players on Nebraska that occasionally drive loaner cars. According to the report it is perfectly legal for a ball player to get a loaner car if he is test driving it or his car is in the shop (which according the story was the case, as unbelievable as that may be) moral of the story...this happens so much at big time schools it is almost looked upon as common and okay practice.

I'm sorry--it's not nice of me to pick out just a small part of your post and gripe, it's just that I get upset any time I hear a variation on the "everyone does it" theme. I don't care if it's commonplace. I want the program at my university to be clean. Sparkling. Not even in the gray areas.

That said, one of the reasons OSU gets into so many of these situations is that they are good about self-reporting. It provides the press and the populace in general with plenty of fodder, but it keeps the NCAA happy. That's one of the reasons the hammer doesn't fall despite all the repeated incidents. I work with safety and compliance types on a pretty regular basis (not NCAA, just to be clear), and the thing they value most is an open, honest, and ongoing dialogue.

Of course, I'd much prefer if the athletes would quit doing stupid things, and I fervently hope that there's no iceberg under the surface. I'm not naive enough to believe there isn't someone out there with his hand out, or someone willing to pay him, I just hope the system is in place to prevent it.

Failing that, nail the little ******* to the wall.

... if you think something as simple as star players being able to drive loaner cars is isolated to Ohio State you are incredibly naive. It shouldn't surprise you at all if there are players on Nebraska that occasionally drive loaner cars. According to the report it is perfectly legal for a ball player to get a loaner car if he is test driving it or his car is in the shop (which according the story was the case, as unbelievable as that may be) moral of the story...this happens so much at big time schools it is almost looked upon as common and okay practice.

I'm sorry--it's not nice of me to pick out just a small part of your post and gripe, it's just that I get upset any time I hear a variation on the "everyone does it" theme. I don't care if it's commonplace. I want the program at my university to be clean. Sparkling. Not even in the gray areas.

That said, one of the reasons OSU gets into so many of these situations is that they are good about self-reporting. It provides the press and the populace in general with plenty of fodder, but it keeps the NCAA happy. That's one of the reasons the hammer doesn't fall despite all the repeated incidents. I work with safety and compliance types on a pretty regular basis (not NCAA, just to be clear), and the thing they value most is an open, honest, and ongoing dialogue.

Of course, I'd much prefer if the athletes would quit doing stupid things, and I fervently hope that there's no iceberg under the surface. I'm not naive enough to believe there isn't someone out there with his hand out, or someone willing to pay him, I just hope the system is in place to prevent it.

Failing that, nail the little ******* to the wall.

I actually agree with you and want tOSU to be sparkling clean as well. I am in no way condoning the practice by saying its okay b/c everyone does it, I was simply replying to the post prior that essentially said tOSU pays its players and is a crooked program. I was just trying to say people in glass houses should not throw stones, this happens everywhere so people shouldn't try to make tOSU look like some bad guy while everyone else is clean.

I would much prefer never to hear about anything like this happening at Ohio State. If my post came across as defending the practice I was not (I was defending my school; nor was I saying Nebraska does anything against the rules) just saying it happens a whole lot and to pick tOSU out as the bad guy is naive (and also that OSU does not run the Big Ten as it is perceived that Texas does in the Big 12).