Wisconsin OL Stars/Coaching

Guys,

Here's some interesting info I researched and gathered off of Rivals. Wisconsin was known this year for it's great offensive line. The Badgers' offensive line goes:

327 (Outland Trophy-winning left tackle Gabe Carimi)

323 (first-team All-America left guard John Moffitt)

318 (center Bill Nagy)

315 (right guard Kevin Zeitler)

322 (right tackle Ricky Wagner).

Carimi - 3 star (2006)

Moffitt - 3 star (2006)

Nagy - 3 star (2006)

Zeitler - 3 star (2008)

Ricky Wagner - Walk on (Yes, walk on ... gotta love that!)

Note that the Oglesby, a 5 star in 2007 and Konz, a 4 star in 2008 have not broken into the starting line-up (See jliehr's added information on the reasons in Post#2). Actually, those two players are the only two players recruited for the line that don't have 3-stars going back to 2005.

Doesn't one have to credit coaching to the success of Badger line?

This is my concern for our line and the coaching in that area. It is looking more and more like we will have 4-stars across the board ... however, without the proper coaching what does it matter?

Just some stats to add to the debate and comparison.

SheepdogMark

Not sure where you got that Oglesby and Konz "have not broken into the starting line-up"?

Oglesby started 3 games his freshmen year, 10 games his sophomore year (injured in others), and started the first two games this year before hurting his knee, he played in a few other games, but had knee surgery in December. He has had a ton of injuries that have set him back, but was preseason 2nd team All-Big Ten according to Phil Steele and was on the Outland Trophy watch list.

Konz started 9 games in 2009 and 10 games this year, he also got injured. He was a freshman All-American by sporting news last year, honorable mention All-Big Ten team and was on the watch list for the Rimington Trophy.

However, they should get credit for coaching, they have injuries and another player steps in and plays at a high level. We have injuries and those players are kept on the field despite obvious deficiencies in their games post injury (Caputo being destroyed, Williams and Henry unable to make it on their pulling assignments).

Not sure where you got that Oglesby and Konz "have not broken into the starting line-up"?

Oglesby started 3 games his freshmen year, 10 games his sophomore year (injured in others), and started the first two games this year before hurting his knee, he played in a few other games, but had knee surgery in December. He has had a ton of injuries that have set him back, but was preseason 2nd team All-Big Ten according to Phil Steele and was on the Outland Trophy watch list.

Konz started 9 games in 2009 and 10 games this year, he also got injured. He was a freshman All-American by sporting news last year, honorable mention All-Big Ten team and was on the watch list for the Rimington Trophy.

Great additional info to my post. I painted broad strokes to what I saw in the research. I don't follow the Badgers. Excellent info added to the post. Thanks.

SheepdogMark

The OL for the most part comes down to coaching. Joel Wilks was a starter for us back in the NC runs. He was a walkon that tried to get a scholly from KState but was told he was too small. Milt took big guys and made them stars. I think people forget how many of our OL back in the day actually hailed from Nebraska.