Could this be the week...?

Foppa

No, not that the offense 'explodes', although that would be nice. I keep hearing through the...ahem...media, that they think Callahan is really going to start mixing things up for the ISU game.

How likely is this?

Well, here are a few things...

1) Callahan has had two weeks to not only try to smooth out the snags, but implement more plays and more players.

2) Callahan may be forced to establish the run early, to avoid an ISU pass defense that will be the best we've seen to date. I don't think he wants to try to play catch-up again this year.

3) The 'Dillard' factor. This guy will either ride the bench until someone goes down with an injury, or he'll get thrown in soon to see if he can back his mouth. I don't think Callahan is the type that would do the latter, but with the number of freshman he's already played, I could definitely see him get some reps. Some players DO back up the crap that spews out of their mouth (See T.O., Moss)

4) We saw flashes of it in the 2nd quarter of the Pitt game. This was just a taste, IMHO, and I hope it continues. It definitely didn't hurt us. Although I don't really need to see Tierre anymore back there when we've got other perfectly fine options that would work in that situation.

5) ABC game, Big 12 opener. Callahan KNOWS this is a big game for NU. And for everyone who talks about BC having a big ego...well, then, what better stage for him to pour it out on.

6) Bowman healthy. NU could use his height. Brooks gets a play or two. A little something for the 'forgotten' Flu and Flore. Lucky is three games in. Glenn has shown he NEEDS to see more touches, esp. in short yardage situations.

7) ISU has started out VERY SLOWLY in ALL of its last 3 games. The D was what helped them out vs. Iowa, not the offense. They were DOWN 8-2 to Ill.St. They did get a quick TD to start the Army game, only to give up 14. NU gets off to a fast, unexpected pace in the first quarter, and that will not only create a nice cushion for the Blackshirts, but also a huge confidence boost for the offense. Heck, maybe that's all they really need? :o;)

I'm sure very little of this really stands out to any of you, I had just been thinking about it as I've been listening to the AM radio shows discuss this topic at length.

NU gets off to a fast, unexpected pace in the first quarter, and that will not only create a nice cushion for the Blackshirts, but also a huge confidence boost for the offense. Heck, maybe that's all they really need? :o;)

Totally agree!!

Gain control of the game and run with it early.

That would be a huge confidence boost, and maybe the offense will come alive for the first time this year!

Totally agree!!

Gain control of the game and run with it early. 

That would be a huge confidence boost, and maybe the offense will come alive for the first time this year!

***hack grabs a cup pours himself a glass of kool-aid***

i agree, too!

3) The 'Dillard' factor. This guy will either ride the bench until someone goes down with an injury, or he'll get thrown in soon to see if he can back his mouth. I don't think Callahan is the type that would do the latter, but with the number of freshman he's already played, I could definitely see him get some reps. Some players DO back up the crap that spews out of their mouth (See T.O., Moss)

Is Dillard really a big mouth? I was thinking if McKewon keeps playing really well, does DIllard Transfer?

6) Bowman healthy. NU could use his height. Brooks gets a play or two. A little something for the 'forgotten' Flu and Flore. Lucky is three games in. Glenn has shown he NEEDS to see more touches, esp. in short yardage situations.

If Fluellen never sees the field again it will be a blessing. The only thing he can catch is a fly pattern.

Is Dillard really a big mouth? I was thinking if McKewon keeps playing really well, does DIllard Transfer?

If Fluellen never sees the field again it will be a blessing. The only thing he can catch is a fly pattern.

Okay never mind, I see the article now.

Steven M. Sipple: Glenn may see more carries

But try preaching patience to a bunch of four- and five-star recruits.

“I wish I was out there more,” said Dillard, who didn’t play a down at linebacker against Pitt. “I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be out there more. I’m not saying I have to start, but I should be playing more.”

Dillard leans on fellow freshmen for support.

“We try to tell each other our time will come,” he said. “But that gets hard to say after a long time.”

To an 18-year-old, three games seems an eternity.

Okay never mind, I see the article now.

Steven M. Sipple: Glenn may see more carries

But try preaching patience to a bunch of four- and five-star recruits.

“I wish I was out there more,” said Dillard, who didn’t play a down at linebacker against Pitt. “I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be out there more. I’m not saying I have to start, but I should be playing more.”

Dillard leans on fellow freshmen for support.

“We try to tell each other our time will come,” he said. “But that gets hard to say after a long time.”

To an 18-year-old, three games seems an eternity.

I think we have a case of immaturity right now. You go to your coach with that crap, and if you don't have the balls, keep your mouth shut.

No, not that the offense 'explodes', although that would be nice. I keep hearing through the...ahem...media, that they think Callahan is really going to start mixing things up for the ISU game.

How likely is this?

Well, here are a few things...

1) Callahan has had two weeks to not only try to smooth out the snags, but implement more plays and more players.

2) Callahan may be forced to establish the run early, to avoid an ISU pass defense that will be the best we've seen to date. I don't think he wants to try to play catch-up again this year.

4) We saw flashes of it in the 2nd quarter of the Pitt game. This was just a taste, IMHO, and I hope it continues. It definitely didn't hurt us. Although I don't really need to see Tierre anymore back there when we've got other perfectly fine options that would work in that situation.

5) ABC game, Big 12 opener. Callahan KNOWS this is a big game for NU. And for everyone who talks about BC having a big ego...well, then, what better stage for him to pour it out on.

7) ISU has started out VERY SLOWLY in ALL of its last 3 games. The D was what helped them out vs. Iowa, not the offense. They were DOWN 8-2 to Ill.St. They did get a quick TD to start the Army game, only to give up 14. NU gets off to a fast, unexpected pace in the first quarter, and that will not only create a nice cushion for the Blackshirts, but also a huge confidence boost for the offense. Heck, maybe that's all they really need? :o;)

I'm sure very little of this really stands out to any of you, I had just been thinking about it as I've been listening to the AM radio shows discuss this topic at length.

YES!!