Ron Brown to stay

Ron Brown hasn't been "out there", though.

He is great with a percentage of recruits we are in on every year, but the scope of his recruiting is very narrow I believe. He isn't an ace who will go and pull out a lot of guys or do a lot of recruiting. I think RB would not like to be recruiting coordinator and would rather concentrate on other stuff, honestly. Recruiting is a dirty game any way you slice it, even without talking about recruiting violations. What concerns me is that it would /seem/ Barney Cotton is headed for this role. Can't see Carl doing it, we probably want Pap and Raymond and Beck all out on the trail. Maybe Els, but neither he nor Cotton inspire any confidence in me.

Ron Brown hasn't been "out there", though.

He is great with a percentage of recruits we are in on every year, but the scope of his recruiting is very narrow I believe. He isn't an ace who will go and pull out a lot of guys or do a lot of recruiting. I think RB would not like to be recruiting coordinator and would rather concentrate on other stuff, honestly. Recruiting is a dirty game any way you slice it, even without talking about recruiting violations. What concerns me is that it would /seem/ Barney Cotton is headed for this role. Can't see Carl doing it, we probably want Pap and Raymond and Beck all out on the trail. Maybe Els, but neither he nor Cotton inspire any confidence in me.

You are right, Brown is usually only on 2-3 recruits a year, and those 2-3 recruits usually end up here in the end. JP, Beck, and Raymond will be the heavy hitters on the trail.

Maybe take over recruiting corrdinator duties as well as WR coach, RB is one hell of a recruiter.

Maybe i'm wrong here, but I have always thought that you don't want to have your best recruiters being the coordinator. They are much more behind the scenes and don't get as much action...I want RB out there.

Your recruiting coordinator can still go out on the trail, Gilmore did, but he was more along the lines of recruiting to his position duties (WR's). A recruiting coordinator does alot of the background work such as schollie numbers, setting up official visits, setting up unofficials, etc. I think Ron Brown would do an excellent job at that part of the job.

I think Jamrog does most of the stuff you mentioned.

No doubt I was worried when I heard Brown could be retiring this year. We'd already lost one of the player favorites when Ekeler went to Indiana, so losing the other most likable coach would've hurt our players that much more. IMO it is important to have coaches like Brown (and Ekeler) who are able to really relate to players and what's going on in their lives.

Needless to say, I'm glad Brown is staying on board, irregardless of a position change.

So your saying not regardless? So you won't like him if he changes position?

Sorry, I had to pick on you. :LOLtartar

• Fire 1

Just got back from the Training Table at Memorial Stadium. I noticed Ron Brown sitting down with Barney Cotton and Tim Beck eating lunch. So I figure he's still with the program. I also found it interesting how these guys were constantly on the phone. Curious if Bo is sending them some info and what changes are about to occur.

Just got back from the Training Table at Memorial Stadium. I noticed Ron Brown sitting down with Barney Cotton and Tim Beck eating lunch. So I figure he's still with the program. I also found it interesting how these guys were constantly on the phone. Curious if Bo is sending them some info and what changes are about to occur.

Every time I see Bo at the coffee shop he's on the phone, too. They're either legitimately on the phone and constantly busy (not hard to believe), or they've got those phones in their ears as a way to ward off Joe Blow coming up to them with stupid comments/questions/suggestions.

Every time I see Bo at the coffee shop he's on the phone, too. They're either legitimately on the phone and constantly busy (not hard to believe), or they've got those phones in their ears as a way to ward off Joe Blow coming up to them with stupid comments/questions/suggestions.

I'm sure its all of the above. Two birds with one stone. :dunno