NU freshman pitcher Ehlers still waiting on NCAA eligibility

Nebraska baseball coach Mike Anderson said Wednesday that highly touted freshman pitcher Logan Ehlers currently is not practicing with the Huskers because he's yet to be declared eligible by the NCAA.

But Anderson noted that he's "not concerned with Logan's action at all" and expects the issue to be resolved "in the near future."

The question about Ehlers -- a left-hander from Nebraska City who in August turned down an $800,000 offer to sign with the Toronto Blue Jays' organization after he was drafted in the eighth round -- concerns the use of an adviser to assist in the postdraft process.

The NCAA allows such a relationship, but that person is prohibited from representing the player in contract negotiations.

Anderson said Ehlers isn't the first Husker who's had a lengthy wait while the NCAA certifies eligibility, and that such delays are becoming more common for players who go to college after being drafted. Not surprisingly, Anderson has growing concerns about the process.

Ehlers, who's been working out on his own, did participate in fall practice and fared well enough that he's considered to be in position to have a significant impact with the Huskers this season. Nebraska's opener is Feb. 18.

This could spell problems for the team if the NCAA doesn't clear Ehlers....

completely different? Not really.. What they were looking at was exactly the same thing... Oliver had the help of an agent in negotiations before deciding to not sign.. which is what the NCAA is/was looking into with Ehlers.. So if by completely different you mean Oliver was a college player drafted and Ehlers was a high school player drafted, then sure. But the situations being investigated, not really that much different.

osu removed him from the team, after he had played for the pokes, fearing that they may have to forfeit any games he participated in heading into regionals, which never came to pass. oliver and his family then sued both the NCAA and OSU, forcing their hand.

The Ehlers have fully cooperated from the get go with the NCAA. That goes a long ways, and is completely different than Olivers situation.

No disrespect intended toward Logan, but he hasn't pitched a single inning in college yet. What I mean by that is, We have a lot of pitching depth and would do just fine with or without Logan this year. I expect Logan will miss part of the season. How much of the season is up to the NCAA and whatever facts they uncover

I look forward to seeing Logan pitch. He sounds like a great kid and a great prospect.

No disrespect intended toward Logan, but he hasn't pitched a single inning in college yet. What I mean by that is, We have a lot of pitching depth and would do just fine with or without Logan this year. I expect Logan will miss part of the season. How much of the season is up to the NCAA and whatever facts they uncover

I look forward to seeing Logan pitch. He sounds like a great kid and a great prospect.

Yes a lot of depth and starts are returning, but where is that in terms of a lefty? Logan Ehlers could be brought along just like Johnny Dorn was a freshman. And IMO that is what this staff needs. Logan has the stuff to be a freaking stud. He will be a weekend starter sooner rather than later.

The NCAA is screwing this whole deal over. Let's hope they don't twiddle their thumbs too long over this. Hmmm......the Cam Newton deal got resolved real fast now didn't it? Funny what high profile sports and athletes can do to the process.

Yes a lot of depth and starts are returning, but where is that in terms of a lefty? Logan Ehlers could be brought along just like Johnny Dorn was a freshman. And IMO that is what this staff needs. Logan has the stuff to be a freaking stud. He will be a weekend starter sooner rather than later.

The NCAA is screwing this whole deal over. Let's hope they don't twiddle their thumbs too long over this. Hmmm......the Cam Newton deal got resolved real fast now didn't it? Funny what high profile sports and athletes can do to the process.

yeah and Auburn University spent $170K on attorney fees to get that deal done quick too :lol:

Some pretty high profile staffs last year that didn't have a lefty play a important role in their success; OU, UT, A&M. Came up with these off the top of my head, sure there are more. However, no doubt we need some lefty pitchers that can get outs. Ehlers has a chance to be really good. However, until he pitches we have a lot of options, including other lefties; Hirsh, Levin and King. I saw King throw this fall he will give us some productive innings this year.

THE NCAA is a Joke, They pick and choose who they investigate then hold up everyone's career's because its all about the NCAA and their power Trip. Involved with all sports i realize they have a thankless job but at the same time they simply are out of control or actually have none. Not sure what it is but they are basically worthless.

Some pretty high profile staffs last year that didn't have a lefty play a important role in their success; OU, UT, A&M. Came up with these off the top of my head, sure there are more. However, no doubt we need some lefty pitchers that can get outs. Ehlers has a chance to be really good. However, until he pitches we have a lot of options, including other lefties; Hirsh, Levin and King. I saw King throw this fall he will give us some productive innings this year.

Difference between those staffs and ours, we don't have the dominant starters that they had. Ehlers is a big deal whether or not you want to admit it man.. He is. We have nobody proven to be dominant for us.. Sure we have potential, but nothing proven.. This is a big deal

Difference between those staffs and ours, we don't have the dominant starters that they had. Ehlers is a big deal whether or not you want to admit it man.. He is. We have nobody proven to be dominant for us.. Sure we have potential, but nothing proven.. This is a big deal

Huskerhavoc,

I have been lurking on this site for more than a year and can't think of anything that I have EVER disagreed with you on....until now. If Ehlers loses some eligibility I hope the players don't have the same attitude as you have. Secondly, Ehlers has never proven anything at the college level either. Therefore, IMO, we aren't losing anything. I have seen Ehlers throw twice, both during the Red & White series last fall. The first time was on Friday and he never made it out of the first inning. The next day they started him again and he threw very well. Very reminecient of Lemke last year...good outing then a bad outing. Ehlers doesn't have dominant enough stuff (Purke, Garrett Cole, Taylor Jungman...95 mph) to just throw. He is going to have to pitch, locate. set-up hitters and not walk people...just like Lemke. No disrespect intended my friend! Just my opinion.

Huskerhavoc,

I have been lurking on this site for more than a year and can't think of anything that I have EVER disagreed with you on....until now. If Ehlers loses some eligibility I hope the players don't have the same attitude as you have. Secondly, Ehlers has never proven anything at the college level either. Therefore, IMO, we aren't losing anything. I have seen Ehlers throw twice, both during the Red & White series last fall. The first time was on Friday and he never made it out of the first inning. The next day they started him again and he threw very well. Very reminecient of Lemke last year...good outing then a bad outing. Ehlers doesn't have dominant enough stuff (Purke, Garrett Cole, Taylor Jungman...95 mph) to just throw. He is going to have to pitch, locate. set-up hitters and not walk people...just like Lemke. No disrespect intended my friend! Just my opinion.

I can't disrespect your opinion.. Just as you said, we will differ here. If he isn't eligible this year, I won't throw in the towel by any means, but I think the kid has a lot of potential to be great. To be honest, when I heard all the people on the prep rivals site talking about him during his junior year I was very skeptical.. He was pitching in Nebraska Class B Baseball... which is very, very weak. I never went and saw him pitch in person, but his numbers were eye-opening, even at that level. His position in the draft also just shows how good he can be. Maybe he won't be great this year, but I think he will be as we move on and he gets experience. The longer that experience is delayed, the worse for the team. I agree with you that we still have the ability to do some pretty good things this year, even without Ehlers, I just think losing him will be a big deal.

Huskerhavoc,

I can't disrespect your opinion.. Just as you said, we will differ here. If he isn't eligible this year, I won't throw in the towel by any means, but I think the kid has a lot of potential to be great. To be honest, when I heard all the people on the prep rivals site talking about him during his junior year I was very skeptical.. He was pitching in Nebraska Class B Baseball... which is very, very weak. I never went and saw him pitch in person, but his numbers were eye-opening, even at that level. His position in the draft also just shows how good he can be. Maybe he won't be great this year, but I think he will be as we move on and he gets experience. The longer that experience is delayed, the worse for the team. I agree with you that we still have the ability to do some pretty good things this year, even without Ehlers, I just think losing him will be a big deal.

I agree, the delay in his development is a big deal!!! Another message board has mentioned that, a current player told them that Ehlers will be suspended at least half the season. If that is true then he will miss approximately 8 starts...that is a lot. However, if you look at his entire freshman year as development; fall, practice intersquad, season, summer. still should be able to grow without stunting his development.