Sam Keller v. EA Sports

Ah. You sound like someone who gleans all of their knowledge of the legal system from a few headlines. I'd guess that you think that tort reform would fix U.S. medicine as well?

All I can say is that it is absolutely ignorant to think that lawsuits, legislation and layers of lawyers just pay for themselves. It's like that old episode of Seinfeld....'They just right it off'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurZnaBas6U

We all pay, one way or another. What exactly would you suggest? Perhaps we should appoint you to decide whether each suit is meritorious before letting the courts have a go at it.

These complaints about our judicial system often come from people who passionately claim that they love the Constitution. That contradiction is hilarious.

So a woman suing McDonalds for millions because she is dumb and spilled hot coffee on herself is meritorious?

Search this forum. There is a lengthy thread about this very topic. I seriously doubt that you know all the facts. Also, the fact that this single case is repeatedly cited as showing the failures of the judicial system is an excellent example of the exceptions proving the rule. (keep in mind that I believe it wasn't an exception. I happen to agree with the jury. knapplc, and many others, disagree.)

Ah. You sound like someone who gleans all of their knowledge of the legal system from a few headlines. I'd guess that you think that tort reform would fix U.S. medicine as well?

All I can say is that it is absolutely ignorant to think that lawsuits, legislation and layers of lawyers just pay for themselves. It's like that old episode of Seinfeld....'They just right it off'.

We all pay, one way or another. What exactly would you suggest? Perhaps we should appoint you to decide whether each suit is meritorious before letting the courts have a go at it.

These complaints about our judicial system often come from people who passionately claim that they love the Constitution. That contradiction is hilarious.

So a woman suing McDonalds for millions because she is dumb and spilled hot coffee on herself is meritorious?

Search this forum. There is a lengthy thread about this very topic. I seriously doubt that you know all the facts. Also, the fact that this single case is repeatedly cited as showing the failures of the judicial system is an excellent example of the exceptions proving the rule. (keep in mind that I believe it wasn't an exception. I happen to agree with the jury. knapplc, and many others, disagree.)

Of course you do.... aren't you a lawyer?

***snip***

That looks as much like Keller as it does me. I'm not aruging that it's not a huge grey area, but to say that's a copy of Sam is a stretch.

Ah. You were a senior quarterback for Nebraska wearing number 9 in 2007?

Nope. Neither was Sam Keller.

Sam was a (RS) Senior who wore number 5. The player in the game was a Senior who wore #9.

In fact, I'd say it looks more like Beau Davis or Joe Ganz than Keller....

Ah, so. He wasn't a senior, he was a REDSHIRT senior. Wonderful.

I'd imagine you were one of those people who were disappointed that EA got his number wrong? I couldn't go over to the huskerboard gaming forum and find complaints about EA roster errors, could I?

And so your mind is made up . . . without bothering to look into it. Arguing with a closed mind is a waste of anyone's time.

Of course you're ignorant about this case . . . aren't you a conservative? <_< (EDIT: to make sure that saunders45 doesn't misinterpret this . . . :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm )

Our constitution is no different than the bible or anything else out there. Everyone has their own interpretation and guess what...every one of them is right.

I agree entirely.

***snip***

That looks as much like Keller as it does me. I'm not aruging that it's not a huge grey area, but to say that's a copy of Sam is a stretch.

Sam was a (RS) Senior who wore number 5. The player in the game was a Senior who wore #9.

I'd imagine you were one of those people who were disappointed that EA got his number wrong? I couldn't go over to the huskerboard gaming forum and find complaints about EA roster errors, could I?

LOL...

Do you think the video game Nebraska quarterback wearing Sam Keller's number, hailing from his home town, sharing the same age, hair color, height, and weight, personal visor/arm brand preference, is an entirely hypothetical person? Or is it just walking as close to the line of being a "likeness" without going over?

I've already proven that the following things that you stated as evidence were wrong.

Jersey Number

Hometown

Hair (isn't even in the game)

personal visor/arm band preference

So, because it's a generic white QB from California, Sam has a case?

And no, I wasn't mad. Why? Because I edited my own personal roster to be correct as it could, which is entirely legal.

I don't think this law suit, if it goes through is going to lead to the demise of college football, and college sports in general.

You can't stop ESPN from showing games which involve college athletics.

The jerseys that are sold bear the trademark/(whatever the thing is called that gives the royalties to the university) of the university and therefore can't be given to the players.

Also, isn't it illegal for college players to accept benefits (thus making them professionals)? So they must have signed away their rights to sue in the case of EA Sports or 2k sports being able to use their likenesses in video games.

I see this case going no where.

IS IT THE SPRING GAME YET?

And so your mind is made up . . . without bothering to look into it. Arguing with a closed mind is a waste of anyone's time.

Of course you're ignorant about this case . . . aren't you a conservative? <_<

LOL.... ignorant. Perhaps you should read up on the "facts" you posted about the sam keller video game character.

Go ahead and call me a nazi conservative next. Let's Godwin this bitch up.

EDIT: and I have researched the case. It was retarded. It's like suing Mazda because I drive my car too fast, lose control, and crash.

And also, I think they are suing EA for giving the fan's the ability to generate likenesses of players, and then giving everyone who owns the game the right to DL it to their hard drives and use it for themselves.

It's not what they're aiming for, because if they were, it would have been tossed. You can't sue a company for allowing a consumer to do something they are legally allowed to do.

***snip***

LOL...

Do you think the video game Nebraska quarterback wearing Sam Keller's number, hailing from his home town, sharing the same age, hair color, height, and weight, personal visor/arm brand preference, is an entirely hypothetical person? Or is it just walking as close to the line of being a "likeness" without going over?

I've already proven that the following things that you stated as evidence were wrong.

Jersey Number

Hometown

Hair (isn't even in the game)

personal visor/arm band preference

So, because it's a generic white QB from California, Sam has a case?

And no, I wasn't mad. Why? Because I edited my own personal roster to be correct as it could, which is entirely legal.

Eh. I should have looked into it further. It's his state, not his hometown, etc.

The complaint itself is posted. Arguing against me doesn't do anything to diminish the merits or weaknesses of the suit.

Quote: "With rare exception, virtually every real-life Division I football or basketball player in the NCAA has a corresponding player in EA games with the same jersey number, and virtually identical height, weight, build, and home state. In addition, EA matches the player's skin tone, hair color, and often even a player's hair style, although this last characteristic is highly variable over even a single season."

Let's simplify this: do you argue that the Senior (REDSHIRT!) quarterback's similarities to Sam Keller are entirely coincidental? EA just assigned some random statistics to an entire roster . . . and by pure it happens to coincide with real athlete? Just curious. That's what you seem to be implying with your "that could be me!" argument.

And also, I think they are suing EA for giving the fan's the ability to generate likenesses of players, and then giving everyone who owns the game the right to DL it to their hard drives and use it for themselves.

It's not what they're aiming for, because if they were, it would have been tossed. You can't sue a company for allowing a consumer to do something they are legally allowed to do.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point, I'm just trying to sort out what they are actually basing their argument on.

Of course you're ignorant about this case . . . aren't you a conservative? <_<

LOL.... ignorant. Perhaps you should read up on the "facts" you posted about the sam keller video game character.

Go ahead and call me a nazi conservative next. Let's Godwin this bitch up.

Apparently you missed my sarcasm. I can go back and put the "Insert Sarcasm Here" emoticon in my post if it will help you.