Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at getting a lawn sprinkler system put in this spring. Average sized celebrity style home in West Omaha.

My sprinkler knowledge is pretty limited, so I'm looking for advice on company recommendations, expected pricing, and anything else you might know.

Thanks!

my grandpa had one installed in his yard and i have yet to see a year pass that something doesnt have to be addressed with it, and he is one of those religious maintenance types. his yard is immaculate, and the sprinkler system is like his evil nemesis. twice in the 8 years hes had it his yard has had to be torn up to replace lines. so many things go wrong with them, especially in our climate. start ups, winterization, mowing stuck heads off, sediment in the lines, replacing pumps...on and on and on. maybe he just got a bad draw, who knows. Either way, prepare for at least the first year or two to be trying.

i have a friend in the lawn and landscape business, and while he puts in enormous water features and drip irrigation regularly, he wont mess with auto sprinklers. he refers Hoich Irrigation or Millard Sprinkler. Expect a free estimate, and the inevitable upsale of other landscaping work. As far as pricing, with the free estimates and many companies in town doing it, you should be fine. The biggest way its going to get out of hand is what type and how many heads you place, how many seperate zones your yard shape will require, and how fancy of a programmer you want. The quicker the better though. My buddy is already out doing installs and is booked through the middle of June.

I haven't had much luck with irrigation.

My back yard is so small, My redwood deck I put in the first year covered half of it.

If I turned on a regular sprinkler, the cinderblock walls got 87% of the water.

I then had what I thought was a Genius idea while at Home Depot..There was this border they were selling made out of black plastic that cross sectioned looked like the letter "p" looking straight up and a long tail (that went into the ground).

Looked like the same plastic they used in regular irrigation tubbing out here and was the same Inside Diameter so connecting it with regular tubing seemed doable..but was cheaper and looked like it would stay burried more better...and it had it's own built in "tube".

But my Husky and I couldn't seem to agree on where to place it. (my plan was to sink it all along the fence line with my carefully angled pin pricks pointing toward the middle of my yard)..She prefered having it just lay on top of the patio in a tangled ball.

We couldn't even agree on the size holes that would work best as she haphazardly made my holes much bigger with her fangs.

Next fun attempt will probably involve Bob-Sod (Used at the Diamondbacks baseball field), some carefully emptied shotgun shells refilled with Silver Iodide crystals...and carefull shooting with my dad's old 12-Gage at unsuspecting clouds as they pass by. (see cloud seeding).

...so many things go wrong with them, especially in our climate. start ups, winterization, mowing stuck heads off, sediment in the lines, replacing pumps...on and on and on. maybe he just got a bad draw, who knows. Either way, prepare for at least the first year or two to be trying...

This is the type of thing that worries me the most about sprinkler installation. Anyone else weigh in on regular maintenance/malfunctions?

I currently have misgivings about sprinkler for these very reasons. The thought of regular problems (and expensive repairs) coupled with the relatively expensive installation makes me question what I might be getting myself into.

How much do any of you put into yearly maintenance on the sprinklers? I don't need an exact number, but how about as a percentage of your original parts and installation costs?

There will be maintenance; and depending on the kind of system there will be plenty. Out here it's a year round maintenance chore. I use Hunter Irrigation heads and they work better than most. Depending on the area of your yard will depend on the size and location of the heads. Make sure they spec out Sch 40 pipe and fittings. The thinner wall stuff sux. Make sure they also triangulate the heads so you get full coverage. Other wise you will get dry spots. Especially in the hotter times of the year. As for winter maintenance idk sorry

I should have specified the type of maintenance. Head angle adjustments, replacing worn or leaking heads. I've used the same sprinkler clock for 9 years without a problem. It's a Rainbird clock. I use only popup heads. Only use 2 gear driven heads to take care of the larger areas that need extra water that the jerk that installed the system didn't account for (triangulation is important).

GBR

Considering the price of water on the left coast. I'm gonna change my landscaping to a more Islamic/Judea area motif. Rocks and drip irrigation for drought tolerant plantage :)

not kiddin' in the hot months my electric bill is 200+ and my water bill is 200+ so something's gotta go. bye bye grass

great mulch deal if youre in the omaha area and a do it your-selfer @ dailydealomaha

deal good thru end of day or until 25 sold. colored brown or natural (my personal choice, colored mulch is nasty stuff, it will rub off/dye your house, block walls, etc.) you cannot go to menards and buy the bags, lug them home, empty them out, etc, for anywhere close to that price.

great mulch deal if youre in the omaha area and a do it your-selfer @ dailydealomaha

deal good thru end of day or until 25 sold. colored brown or natural (my personal choice, colored mulch is nasty stuff, it will rub off/dye your house, block walls, etc.) you cannot go to menards and buy the bags, lug them home, empty them out, etc, for anywhere close to that price.

Sold out! Damn!

Sold out! Damn!

sorry! figured they would go fast, got it on here as soon as i saw it.

wouldnt hurt to try calling them? saying you saw the daily deal and couldnt get it for whatever reason...see what they will do. never hurts to ask.