Will NU football ever dominate again like in the 90s?

Yeah, these things do seem to run in cycles. But I’m thinking we had several factors work in our favor back during the 90s—factors that we won’t see again. Here are three:

• Fairly easy conf schedule in the 90s. OU was down. Rest of the Big 8 wasn’t much of a threat.
  • Can’t have prop 48 partial qualifiers anymore.
  • Seems to be a LOT more parity in college football now as compared to back then.

I wonder whether NU's dominance of the 90s can be repeated by any team. Look at USC's run a few years back. They were great for a few years. But USC's run wasn't even close to NU's run in the 90s.

There are a couple of ways to interpret the competition level of the Big 8 during our championship run from '93-'95, however bear in mind that in '93 the Big 8 had four teams ranked in the Top 20 at the end of the year. '94 saw three Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 20 with Nebraska being #1 and Colorado #3. And even more impressive in '95 there were four Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 10 when it was all said and done.

People seem to forget that Nebraska did have to work hard for some of those conference wins during that stretch, except for the '95 season. One other reason that doesn't get brought up enough (if at all) about why the '95 Huskers gets a lot of love among sports media as being the #1 team of all time is because of the way the Big 8 as a whole finished that season.

1995 Big 8 Season Ending AP Rankings:

#1 - Nebraska

#5 - Colorado

#7 - Kansas State

#9 - Kansas

Generally speaking though, the Big 8 would usually have 4 teams with either a .500 or worse record while the other 4 teams would usually crack the Top 25.

Yeah, good point. I had forgotten (or hadn't realized) the Big 8 was so deep--especially considering OU was down during that time. I am surprised to see that KU was ranked so high. I thought they'd always sucked before Mangino rolled into town. Didn't realize they spiked up in the mid 90's.

To add, Dr. Tom said that the 94 Colorado team was the most talented team he ever coached against. Food for thought. IMO, they were better than the PSU team that likes to whine about not getting a share of the MNC.

Kansas had a couple of nice seasons in the early to mid 90's. Terry (I think) Mason was a good coach.

To answer the OP, could we do that again, sure. Will we, I highly doubt we, or anyone else for that matter, will have a 5 year run like that again. If you look at those 5 years, it was incredible. 3 MNCs, played for a 4th, and would have played for another if not for a flu-ridden team that got bit by "Longwhorn Magic" for the first time.

Yeah, these things do seem to run in cycles. But I’m thinking we had several factors work in our favor back during the 90s—factors that we won’t see again. Here are three:

• Fairly easy conf schedule in the 90s. OU was down. Rest of the Big 8 wasn’t much of a threat.
  • Can’t have prop 48 partial qualifiers anymore.
  • Seems to be a LOT more parity in college football now as compared to back then.

I wonder whether NU's dominance of the 90s can be repeated by any team. Look at USC's run a few years back. They were great for a few years. But USC's run wasn't even close to NU's run in the 90s.

There are a couple of ways to interpret the competition level of the Big 8 during our championship run from '93-'95, however bear in mind that in '93 the Big 8 had four teams ranked in the Top 20 at the end of the year. '94 saw three Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 20 with Nebraska being #1 and Colorado #3. And even more impressive in '95 there were four Big 8 teams ranked in the Top 10 when it was all said and done.

People seem to forget that Nebraska did have to work hard for some of those conference wins during that stretch, except for the '95 season. One other reason that doesn't get brought up enough (if at all) about why the '95 Huskers gets a lot of love among sports media as being the #1 team of all time is because of the way the Big 8 as a whole finished that season.

1995 Big 8 Season Ending AP Rankings:

#1 - Nebraska

#5 - Colorado

#7 - Kansas State

#9 - Kansas

Generally speaking though, the Big 8 would usually have 4 teams with either a .500 or worse record while the other 4 teams would usually crack the Top 25.

Yeah, good point. I had forgotten (or hadn't realized) the Big 8 was so deep--especially considering OU was down during that time. I am surprised to see that KU was ranked so high. I thought they'd always sucked before Mangino rolled into town. Didn't realize they spiked up in the mid 90's.

To add, Dr. Tom said that the 94 Colorado team was the most talented team he ever coached against. Food for thought. IMO, they were better than the PSU team that likes to whine about not getting a share of the MNC.

Kansas had a couple of nice seasons in the early to mid 90's. Terry (I think) Mason was a good coach.

To answer the OP, could we do that again, sure. Will we, I highly doubt we, or anyone else for that matter, will have a 5 year run like that again. If you look at those 5 years, it was incredible. 3 MNCs, played for a 4th, and would have played for another if not for a flu-ridden team that got bit by "Longwhorn Magic" for the first time.

Close, but you got two different coaches mixed up. :lol:

Glen Mason was the coach from '88-'96. Terry Allen succeeded him from '97-'01.