Game on September 17th

I can't believe there are people on this board who actually think the UW game this year will be tough.

1) They lose Locker, who basically gashed our D repeatedly in the Holiday Bowl running off the bootleg;

2) We clearly did not have our head in that game even before the opening whistle;

3) They have to come to our house;

4) We have plenty of payback to give them since they basically embarrassed us on national TV.

If you don't believe Pelini will have his guys ready for this game, you need to re-think things a bit.

I can't believe there are people on this board who actually think the UW game this year will be tough.

1) They lose Locker, who basically gashed our D repeatedly in the Holiday Bowl running off the bootleg;

2) We clearly did not have our head in that game even before the opening whistle;

4) We have plenty of payback to give them since they basically embarrassed us on national TV.

If you don't believe Pelini will have his guys ready for this game, you need to re-think things a bit.

I agree on many fronts, but I still have this nagging feeling. We heard the exact same thing about a particular game last year. Texas came into our house. They had to replace a heisman contender at QB. We had every reason for payback. We lost the game. Washington is going to come into the 2011 season with motivation. While we should win this game, I don't take this game lightly.

If this game is anything close to resembling a "tough one", it's going to be a long season next year

You are kidding right? You understand that washington will never be the washington we've seen the past 4-5 years when willingham was there. Sark has that program headed no where but up. This day and age, there are NO gimmes EVER. Get over it, enjoy football and watch us win, regardless of the score.

Sorry, no. Last year when the game mattered we killed them. The 2nd game which didn't matter they played it like their season was on the line, we played it like an early spring scrimmage going total vanilla on offense, played base defense and just tried to stay healthy... and they still barely won the game. If it's anywhere near a close game at the start of the 4th quarter, we're probably going to have trouble the rest of the year.

Please do not delude yourself. You make it sound like NU simply did not care about winning and that is why we got beat. No. NU was simply bested, and in a game that mattered. NU showed no heart and were a divided team... that much is true... and that factored in hugely... but the game nattered and UW beat us (more soundly than the score would seem to indicate).

For this next season, all offensive scheming and such aside, the real issue is this... does this NU team have heart? Last years team, generally, did not. Hopefully that changes.

The UW game last year was testimony of NU playing w/o be prepared and w/o heart. Hopefully we never see that again.

In what way did that game matter?

I agree on many fronts, but I still have this nagging feeling. We heard the exact same thing about a particular game last year. Texas came into our house. They had to replace a heisman contender at QB. We had every reason for payback. We lost the game. Washington is going to come into the 2011 season with motivation. While we should win this game, I don't take this game lightly.

Washington has nowhere near the talent Texas did. Texas was not a good TEAM last year, but talent wise they were still elite. Washington is not.

After saying before the bowl game, that it wasnt gonna be close. Im gonna hold out on saying its gonna be a blood bath. Last year after watching UCLA run a zone read after zone read on Texas, I thought Texas was cupcake game. Wrong again I was.

So Im gonna wait till I see how each team starts out before making any assumptions.

This "it's gonna be a bloodbath" attitude is what got our players' heads so far up their a$$es that we got handled by Washington last time. Jussss sayin....

Was it that, or was it the fact that in a span of three games, our team went from the highest of highs (one-loss team with a top-10 ranking to a three-loss team barely clinging to a top-20 ranking? We'd literally been one of the hottest teams in the country, and then found ourselves playing a 6-6 team we'd already played that season in a bow we'd been to the year before. Not to mention that UW hadn't been to a bowl in over half a decade, and you've got a bit of a perfect storm.

So was it because our guys were overconfident, or were flat-out disappointed at having to play that game at all?

The two cannot be compared, IMO. The Texas game basically had the weight of the last decade riding on it. It was like we were trying to make up for a decade of bad beats in one gigantic game. Then you tack on the fact that we had to make up for the horrible last-second loss to Texas in the CCG game the year prior and the fact that it was our farewell tour of the Big 12 and the pressure was enormous. It was quite possibly one of the most hyped games in the history of the program, and certainly of the past decade. On a pressure scale of 1 to 10, that game was a strong 9.5.

Meanwhile, the Washington game is somewhat of a minor payback game. There are no galactic ramifications like there was for the Texas game. It is simply a non-conference game that gives us the opportunity to get them back for an embarrassing loss last year. To me, the game says more about us and our ability to grow as a program than it does about spite for Washington. We hated (hate) Texas and hate can make you do stupid things. UW is a chance for us to demonstrate that we've taken a step forward as a team. It is something of a 4 on the pressure scale.

Have faith, fellas: Come September, we will spank that Husky ass.