Mississippi GOP on Interracial Marriage

I'm guessing same-sex marriage is still a ways off in Mississippi, where the Republicans who run the state still haven't caught up to the 1970s yet:

Public Policy Polling asked self-identified Mississippi Republicans how they feel (PDF) about interracial marriage. And 74% of those who'd like to ban interracial marriage also have a "favorable view" of Sarah Palin.

The results are absolutely appalling. 46% of MS Republican voters believe interracial marriage should be illegal; 40% think it should be legal. And tonight they're gonna party like it's 1959. Make that 1859. here.

Wow. Almost every other Mississippi Republican thinks that interracial marriage should be against the law?! Here's hoping the south never rises again. :facepalm:

Do the non-Repulicans feel any differently?

This poll was just Republican primary voters.

Apparently they asked the same questions of non-Republicans and will release those numbers soon.

I will add them when they are released.

To be honest, I think the numbers will be better, but not by much.

Apparently they asked the same questions of non-Republicans and will release those numbers soon.

You might be right. I'm hoping for less than 20% at least . . . but we'll see.

Public Policy Polling asked self-identified Mississippi Republicans how they feel (PDF) about interracial marriage. And 74% of those who'd like to ban interracial marriage also have a "favorable view" of Sarah Palin.

What does this mean? Sarah Palin is a celebrity. It probably would have been the same if you put Toby Keith's name in there.

The simple fact the Q10 gets Palin 10% shows she is nothing more than a 'Contributor' on Fox News.

All it tells me is that some are still inbreeding.

What does this mean? Sarah Palin is a celebrity. It probably would have been the same if you put Toby Keith's name in there.

The simple fact the Q10 gets Palin 10% shows she is nothing more than a 'Contributor' on Fox News.

All it tells me is that some are still inbreeding.

I think the .pdf download of the poll itself shows that they asked them about their views of the various potential GOP candidates. Those who had a favorable view of Sarah Palin were most likely to oppose interracial marriages . . . at least as compared to the other potential candidates.

I guess you can read that as you see fit.

Why do you care that much? Yeah, this is a socially outdated view, but I doubt something like this ever comes up to a vote; if it did, even if Dems held the same views, 46-40 wouldn't cut it. Even if it were to pass, you don't live in MS, so how does it affect you? It's not like the rest of the country would jump on the MS bandwagon (if anything else, it would just stoke the fire of resentment and disbelief that many Americans already feel towards the state and its history). I can see how some would compare it to the gay marriage thing, but even then, the comparison doesn't hold. If gays can't get married in a state, they will either leave or not get married. Heterosexuals who can't marry outside of their race might leave the state, (the socioeconomic status of most MS residents makes this option rather implausible) but are more likely to just marry within their race; maybe not an optimal personal arrangement, but conceiveable nonetheless.

Why do you care that much? Yeah, this is a socially outdated view, but I doubt something like this ever comes up to a vote; if it did, even if Dems held the same views, 46-40 wouldn't cut it. Even if it were to pass, you don't live in MS, so how does it affect you? It's not like the rest of the country would jump on the MS bandwagon (if anything else, it would just stoke the fire of resentment and disbelief that many Americans already feel towards the state and its history). I can see how some would compare it to the gay marriage thing, but even then, the comparison doesn't hold. If gays can't get married in a state, they will either leave or not get married. Heterosexuals who can't marry outside of their race might leave the state, (the socioeconomic status of most MS residents makes this option rather implausible) but are more likely to just marry within their race; maybe not an optimal personal arrangement, but conceiveable nonetheless.

Excellent point. From now on, I'll only notice and comment on news from the state of Nebraska. Board%20users.gif

Why did you care about Wisconsin? You don't live in Wisconsin (right?) so how does it affect you?

• Fire 1

Just seemed a little alterrior motivish to just identify a certain party feeling this way (more or less)and it made me currious how it compaired with the "other side(s)" not that I identify with either.

No worries. I'll update it with the Democratic primary voter numbers when they are released.

Excellent point. From now on, I'll only notice and comment on news from the state of Nebraska. Board%20users.gif

Why did you care about Wisconsin? You don't live in Wisconsin (right?) so how does it affect you?

Hmmm…why did I care about Wisconsin/why is this situation different than the Wisconsin situation?

The Wisconsin situation involved an actual proposal, subsequent vote, widespread protests, (that continue in the state and have spread to others) proposed job cuts, proposed benefit cuts, collective state budget cuts, influence on other states' legislative endeavors, and possible fodder for future court rulings on union/collective bargaining issues. The stuff that went down in Wisconsin and has rippled to other states has definite potential to affect future federal policies and mandates as well as my state in the future. This is why I care.

So you're comparing these repercussions and fallout to the opinions of 400 "hardcore Republican voters" (Public Policy Polling 2011) who are "usual Mississippi Republican party voters" (PPP 2011) on a single, ideological issue? No, not politicians who would never actually ever think about introducing, yet alone passing such a proposal…400 random MS "hardcore Republican voters" (whatever that means good technical language).

So essentially what you're saying is that my caring about a particular state's legislative issues that could potentially affect other states' policies, if not possibly affecting future federal policies while also causing uprisings across the country is the same as your caring about how 400, randomly selected, MS "hardcore Republican voters" (not legislators) feel about a single ideological issue?

While you're at it, why don't you dig up some numbers from 1951 and 1976 and see how the sentiments towards mixed-racial marriages were by "hardcore Republican voters" in the Magnolia state were in those years. I guarantee that those numbers, when compared with the current numbers, will help you sleep easier tonight.