Paul and Gomes Washington

2009 also had an offensive change that involved the passing % going way down, and a QB with an injured throwing arm.

That was the year Paul became relevant.

In 2008, Watson was the one that made McNeil relevant in the first place. He flourished in a system Bo chose to move away from. Better for the entire team? possibly, yet to be seen, but looks very promising. But certain players getting caught in the transition? Unsurprising.

He flourished in that system? I guess... He set a school record for most receptions by a tight end in a season in 2008... by one, over Johnny Mitchell, who did it in a run-heavy offense. That's about as impressive as guys like Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz setting school passing records galore while following 40 years of power/option football.

McNeill's receiving production went downward after that 2008 season, and he struggled mightily as a blocker throughout his career, even after he made the move to the slot and was against smaller defensive backs. He got absolutely torched as a blocker against Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M. He was a less efficient receiver and a less effective all-around tight end then Tracey Wistrom, Sheldon Jackson, and Mark Gilman before him, and none of those guys went on to have substantial NFL careers.

Throughout the 2010 season, McNeill was a liability as a blocker, and Kyler Reed was a bigger receiving threat from the tight end position than McNeill was from the slot position. I don't know what is surprising about him going undrafted.

Overall, Nebraska fared better than I thought they would going into the draft. Henery went higher than I expected, and I was surprised that Keith Williams was taken as well, but good for him.

2009 also had an offensive change that involved the passing % going way down, and a QB with an injured throwing arm.

That was the year Paul became relevant.

In 2008, Watson was the one that made McNeil relevant in the first place. He flourished in a system Bo chose to move away from. Better for the entire team? possibly, yet to be seen, but looks very promising. But certain players getting caught in the transition? Unsurprising.

That same system failed in 2009, though, so I'm not entirely sure that Bo Pelini made a bad decision to move away from that system.

I don't know if that's what you're getting at, though, so forgive me if I'm just making a mundane point lol.