New Husker offense?

Hey Husker fans,

I was just watching highlights of the OK State game this year and noticed that we used the pass to setup the run instead of the other way around.

I was also reading an article from Mangino back in 2007 that stated that Kansas used the pass to open up the run. linky

My question for the experts is... Could the OK State game have been a preview of this years offense? I saw a lot of our receivers running wide open.

Do you think beck could have had input in that gameplan?

I'll hang up and listen, thanks. LOL

JiminIowa

I think Ok St had one of the worst pass defenses in the country last year, maybe one of the worst overall Ds.

Oklahoma State finished middle of the pack defensively last year, giving up 21.9 points a game and 363.9 yards per game to opposing offenses. Their pass defense finished 113th giving up 275.5 yards per game. Their defense, as you mentioned, was pretty bad.

Given this information, JiminIowa, I would not take the Ok. St. film for face value. Ok. St. can't stop the pass to save it's life and we purely exploited this.

Furthermore, Beck was the runnings back coach (as you probably know) and part of the offensive staff, so he already had input into the gameplan and how the offense was going to try to play.

When Taylor was 100% he had more open receivers because defenses had to sell out to stop him. When he was injured they could pay more attention to coverage because he wasn't a homerun threat anymore. Obviously there's more to it to that, but bottom line: a healthy Taylor is a great, great thing for the Huskers.