Adam Rittenberg Chat on ESPN

Link

Of note:

Ryan (Aurora, CO)

What do you make of the "Pistol" offense rumors making their way around Lincoln these days. Do you think that it is a viable offense in the BIG Ten? What are some strengths and challenges of the offense in the BIG??

Adam Rittenberg

(2:04 PM)

Ryan, several Big Ten teams already incorporate the pistol into their system. Indiana has taken the most aggressive approach, hoping the pistol will spark its run game. So far, it hasn't worked. Ohio State has used some pistol with Terrelle Pryor, and the Buckeyes have had some success with it. Northwestern incorporated some pistol elements this spring. Nebraska seems to have the personnel to run the pistol well, as you need a mobile QB and the Huskers have several. The challenge in the Big Ten is the quality of defensive line play. Could impact a team trying to run the pistol.

Travis (KY)

Who win's between Nebraska and Michigan State play I think? Who wins and why?

Adam Rittenberg

(2:21 PM)

You're asking me to predict a game in late October, which is pretty tough. Nebraska would have an edge because the game is at home and Michigan State really lacks a signature road win under Mark Dantonio. I also think Nebraska's defense will give the Spartans' offense some problems. So I'd favor the Huskers now, but there's a long way to go between now and then.

M

att (Nebraska)

Adam, how long do you think it will be till we have Nebraska/Colorado Rose Bowl?

Adam Rittenberg

(2:31 PM)

Ha, that'd be something. Let's put it this way: the team from Lincoln is a lot closer to reaching Pasadena than the one from Boulder.

Dave (NJ)

I'm sure $$$$ trumps all else, but would Nebraska have been invited to the Big Ten if the conference knew they were getting bounced from the AAU? They're so righteous about that.

Adam Rittenberg

(2:33 PM)

Dave, I'll say this: it would have been a harder sell to the Big Ten presidents if Nebraska wasn't an AAU member last June. The presidents really value the AAU tradition, and they ultimately call the shots in expansion. I'm not saying they wouldn't have ultimately given the go-ahead, but there likely would have been more resistance.

Matt (Nebraska)

Should it matter if Nebraska got Ousted from the AAU Seeing that Nebraska has one of the richest Football Histories? I mean Nebraska is on par with Notre Dame and it shouldn't Matter after they see what the Huskers bring to the table...

Adam Rittenberg

(2:45 PM)

Matt, we're talking about two different things here. No one has questioned Nebraska's football tradition, and many outsiders (including me) would say it's the primary reason why the Big Ten added the Huskers. But the league and its presidents made a huge deal last spring about the AAU and the tradition there. The academic prestige component means something to the Big Ten, more so than leagues like the Big 12 or SEC. It's on par with how the Pac-12 views academics. So it's not like people don't see what the Huskers bring from a football standpoint, but the AAU ouster is a little embarrassing.

Randy (Lincoln, NE)

Being a student at Nebraska, I want to go to every game. Of course due to being a college student, my funds are quite limited. The top away games that we have are Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State. Any of those would be amazing to attend. If you had to choose one of those to attend, which would it be?

Adam Rittenberg

(2:51 PM)

Randy, I'd try to get to Madison. It's the closest of the three, it's Nebraska's first conference game as a Big Ten member, and the stadium/town are amazing. I guarantee you'll have a blast. Michigan and Penn State also are great choices, but from a financial perspective, I'd get to Mad-town.

Herbie (Dallas, TX)

Adam, why is no one discussing the University of Texas connection to Nebraska's ugly (for the AAU) ouster? While I'm sure Texas claimed they voted in favor of Nebraska, it's ingrained in their DNA to be disingenuous. Add in all of the 'favors' the Big XII bestowed upon UT and A&M in '09 and 2010, the lone unwarranted suspension, and it all points to Texas acting like the crazy girlfriend hell bent on keying your ride before you leave town.

Adam Rittenberg

(2:56 PM)

Herbie, you're making a ton of assumptions here. I know it's tough for a lot of Husker fans to forget Texas and the bad blood between those schools, but I'd encourage them to focus on the future, the Big Ten and new rivalries that will spawn in the coming years.

Herbie (Dallas, TX)

Adam, why is no one discussing the University of Texas connection to Nebraska's ugly (for the AAU) ouster? While I'm sure Texas claimed they voted in favor of Nebraska, it's ingrained in their DNA to be disingenuous. Add in all of the 'favors' the Big XII bestowed upon UT and A&M in '09 and 2010, the lone unwarranted suspension, and it all points to Texas acting like the crazy girlfriend hell bent on keying your ride before you leave town.

:lol: It sure wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Whorns had a hand in this AAU thing. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.