Jan 23 Visits / Commits

Wanted to start a new thread for discussion about this wknds visits and hopefully commits. And current word is that 3-4 new commits have been solidifed as of today.

Here is the list of kids in town that hadnt previously committed, and some notes about them.

Mike McLaughlin RB ** Ole Miss also in the running / Blake should help here

Cornelius Thomas OT ** JC stud, believed to be very interested in NU

Lyndon Murtha OT **** wanted a reason to leave Minnesota.

John Watts OT ** Wasnt even considering NU until Gill payed him a visit last wk

Adam Blankenship DE *** B/t NU Tulsa & CSU. older bro is TE for Tulsa so will probably discuss with him before he decides

Brandon Jackson RB *** "Nebraska was one of the teams I followed when I was growing up," he said.

Fredrick Franklin RB (Louisiana product not ranked & not highly recruited / good chance he'll commit if we offer)

Gabe Hatchett WR *** JC player / soft verbal to Toledo / if we offer, he should be a sker

Anthony Parker *** (Blake should help here too)

Courtney Grixby **** Highly likely that he committed after meeting with the Husker coaches.

Based on that list, I'd say these guys are the most likely to commit this weekend: Cornelius Thomas, Lyndon Murtha, Brandon Jackson, and Courtney Grixby.

other insight?

To add some more about this Jason Watts, who would be a great get. Apparently him and his family were very impressed with Gill. "He was here on Tuesday and we got the official set up. He is the best recruiter we have been involved with so far. A real man of character."

He has visited Louisville and South Carolina, & Auburn next weekend.

His parents also said this when asked about the change of interest towards NU: "Total sin off of what we would have ever thought - 360 degree of our original thoughts. We're looking forward to our trip to Huskerland. John is taking this very serious. He has a great shot to get where he wants to go. He wants to play at the next level."

Jason Watts

Russellville (AL)

Offensive tackle

Height: 6-foot-6

Weight: 250 pounds

40-yard dash: 5.2 seconds

Bench max: 255 pounds

Squat max: 385 pounds

Dont go Gill!!

"Total sin off of what we would have ever thought - 360 degree of our original thoughts

uh, what? I have no idea what that means. All I know is that nothing has changed in their minds. they did a complete 360, so that leaves them back where they started, right? damn, just when you thout we had somethin, these good old country folk confuse us with their talk. those tricky bastadons!!

Well apparently Clay Sievers, TE commit from Elkhorn has returned and he loved his visit to Lincoln. "It was awesome". He also said that we already have 4 new commits w/ more on the way. Among those he verified had committed:

Gabe Hatchett JUCO WR ***

Brandon Jackson RB ***

Cornelius Thomas JUCO OT **

Joe Ganz QB/Safety **

He also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Blankenship and Murtha as Huskers when all is said and done.

Very close to what Blackshirt predicted. Nice job 'shirt.

Personally I would be surprised if Blakenship committed during the trip, simply b/c of the reasons blackshirt mentioned above. I could also see Grixby coming out of this a Husker.

GBR!

BRM

Right on. I just read that article posted in 'husker headlines' about Murtha. Man that kid is a freak of nature. Here are some interesting excerpts:

He runs a 4.9 40 yd dash. Wow.

snip:

Murtha is so nimble, in fact, that he wants to run the 100-yard dash for Hutchinson's track team this spring. Honest. (Imagine the reaction at the starting blocks.)

"I'm faster than you think," he said.

snip:

"When I first saw him, he was out catching passes with the receivers [in warmups]," Holy Angels coach Mike Pendino said. "That's the kind of athlete he is."

Apparently he used to play hockey and every other sport imaginable.

One bizarre fact is that he didnt even make the Metro highschool 1st Team, but he was an All-American. Whatever. Maybe this will give him that much needed fire in his spit to be great.

Also keep in mind that his uncle played for Minnesota in the '70s, so this isnt a lock. He obviously commited so early (middle of his Junior yr) for good reasons, and isnt likely to change his mind overnight. Id say this will come down to the wire. After he gets home and the mystique from Lincoln cools off, he'll probably sit down with his father and discuss. Dont be surprised if he says Lincoln was great and all, but MN is where my heart is. He's the type of person who seems like he really needs to feel comfortable about something before he makes such a huge decision, and how comfortable can you be after 1 weekend? If we land this stud Callahan and Co. are All-Stars.

Good news people. Word is that ALL of this weekends visitors have mentioned that they will commit to the Big Red!

Mike Huff, 6-5, 300-pound offensive guard from Ralston, Nebraska

likes Callahan and coach Wagner a lot. Murtha was also impressed, but is going home to think about it. Huff will keep in touch with him this week to find out more.

Terrence Nunn, 6-0, 185-pound WR from Houston is struggling with his decision. Coach Call visited him last week at his home.

Mrs Nunn said that Coach Callahan was 'impressive and very prepared'.

Terrence’s head coach also met Cally and was also very impressed. 'Callahan really sold the program and said some really encouraging things to Terrence, things that would make any kid want to go to school up there.' His mother said.

Apparently Coach Call is supposed to call Terrence's father later today to discuss some things. The Wisconsin coaches will also be callling and/or visiting again later this week.

His Mom also said 'there are a few things my husband wanted to make sure of too, and the decision will be made in the next few days.'

Ty Steinkuhler, 6-3, 245-pound defensive end from Lincoln Southwest commited and visited last fall, and was even more impressd this time. He said 'Its a different atmosphere, but even better than before'.

He also said he "loves" Coach Blake, and that 'he is just awesome' And that Coach Callahan is an "amazing guy.”

Folks all signs indicate that these coaches are the real deal. We are very fortunate that things have shaped up the way they have recently. Now we just need to close the deal, and start the tough transformation to the WCO!! Very very good weekend though. Good work coaches!

JRS

Up to this point, Jackson the RB is certainly the highlight of the weekend. ranked 16th in the nation, built like a truck and can fly.

Now he needs to qualify.

To really make this a class worthwhile of Callahan standards he needs to capture Grixby and Murtha. Or this will be considered a below average class. Lets face it some of those kids are a bit flaky. Some aren't ranked?? Would you agree. Don't get me wrong I like that there are kids commiting, but some aren't accomplished

redout

Guys.. This class is goin to be alright....no need to spend toooo much time worried about it...Coach Cal will get the guys we need to fill gaps next year, plus the talent is in th pipeline......I see us much improved next year on Offense and I really think that the talent on the defensive side of the ball is great.....If Coach Cal can land a few guys to step up in 04 we will be back on top in the Big 12 North......OUT