LIttle league football coachs IN HERE

Do we have any little league ( Pop Warner, AAU or just pee-wee) football coachs in here. I got talked into running the Defense for our Sr team (11-12) year old team. This is my first time coaching football.. I was wondering what kind of Defense's do you guys run. You know being the Blackshirt I would love to run the Peso.. Just not quite how good it would be on this level.. lol.

I don't coach at that level but I coach.

I would look up the Gap-8 (you might see it called the Mirror Defense) its super easy to teach and to learn.

6-2 at that level is good, just make sure you have GOOD players as your ends, have them playing standing up on the outside shoulder to stop sweeps and tosses.

5-2 is something you will see a lot but it will basically become a 5-3. Its good at that level because you have a NT and centers have a hard time with that.

When its 3rd and long (anything over 7 yards at that age) drop a linebacker and play with two corners and two FS's.

When you have an idea of what you would like to run, PM me, if you want any thoughts I would be glad to help out.

I don't coach at that level but I coach.

I would look up the Gap-8 (you might see it called the Mirror Defense) its super easy to teach and to learn.

6-2 at that level is good, just make sure you have GOOD players as your ends, have them playing standing up on the outside shoulder to stop sweeps and tosses.

5-2 is something you will see a lot but it will basically become a 5-3. Its good at that level because you have a NT and centers have a hard time with that.

When its 3rd and long (anything over 7 yards at that age) drop a linebacker and play with two corners and two FS's.

When you have an idea of what you would like to run, PM me, if you want any thoughts I would be glad to help out.

I agree with everything he said here. I don't coach youth ball (high school here) but I would definitely recommend a five man front. It makes it extremely hard on that 11 year old center to snap the ball knowing he's got a guy six inches away from him, ready to go. However, I would say that teaching the kids sound fundamentals and especially swarming to the football (as cliche as that sounds) is the best thing you can do for that age.

Definitely take the time to teach the D-Linemen proper technique (leverage, hand placement, gap responsibility, etc.). A lot of times, youth coaches just tell them to get to the ball and in doing that, you kind of handicap half your defense. Obviously, the same goes for your Backers and Secondary but for some reason they tend to get coached up more on technique than the line.