First season excites Pelini but is 'no picnic'

The wait for Nebraska to finally compete the Big Ten hasn't just dragged on for Husker fans.

"It seems like five years ago they announced it," head coach Bo Pelini said Wednesday at the inaugural — and sold-out — Husker Athletic Fund Luncheon.

He joked that he's been itching so much for the season that he even coaxed a playful scrap out of his normally mild-mannered golden retriever, who paid back his owner with a cut on the bridge of Pelini's nose.

And now that the first year is here, Pelini said, the excitement and nerves are there, too. Along with the league's toughest schedule.

"It's no picnic," Pelini told more than 400 fans at the downtown Embassy Suites' convention center.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110803/BIGRED/708039785/-1#first-big-ten-season-excites-pelini-but-is-no-picnic

A couple things of interest to me:

I hadn't heard of the "Athletic Performance Research Facility" or whatever it is they're building along with the East Stadium project. Sounds interesting. Reminds me of Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, haha.

Also, it's good to hear that they got some boosters or rich fans/alumni to allow the university to borrow their private jets for coaches to recruit. That puts us back on a level playing field with some of the other big-time programs, and should make us a bit more efficient with recruiting.

He joked that he's been itching so much for the season that he even coaxed a playful scrap out of his normally mild-mannered golden retriever, who paid back his owner with a cut on the bridge of Pelini's nose.

I want to make a joke about how he really injured his nose, but I'm not funny enough.