Fisher Returns at the right time

writing off David's 152 tackles and then saying we are unproven, like he isn't still on the team is a rough argument. He's there. He's proven. The rest of the guys were there last year. They are proven. Whether or not they played well is beside the point...but the fact is: we know (assuming no injuries) almost exactly what we are going to get out of our LB group this year...that's the exact definition of proven.

Hence "unproven besides David". No one wrote him off, I'm not sure where that's coming from. I'm pretty sure proven in this context mean someone who has established himself as an asset to the football team. David's the only guy that fits that description. The jury's still out on all our other guys.

I'd say LB is also quite unlike the DT position, where we are easily 6 deep without batting an eye, and maybe more than that. Crick, Steinkuhler, T-Mo, Randle, Guy, Rome...and that doesn't count promising freshmen likely to redshirt such as Kevin Williams.

LB, there's David - who looks like he is going to grow into a legit stud, at the position. And then some pretty unknown quantities. There is some promise with two Fisher and Compton, but those are the potential starters, not just some guys on the 3-deep.

No it doesn't. Stats don't mean everything/anything. I mean, there's still a side of the game that David needs to get more up to speed on. Wasn't he a bit swimming last year, sometimes out of position and things like that? Of course he got a lot of tackles in the system. But this year look for him to take all that a step up, hopefully a big step! Won't that be something to behold?

No it doesn't. Stats don't mean everything/anything. I mean, there's still a side of the game that David needs to get more up to speed on. Wasn't he a bit swimming last year, sometimes out of position and things like that? Of course he got a lot of tackles in the system. But this year look for him to take all that a step up, hopefully a big step! Won't that be something to behold?

I hope he takes a big step up also but, who'd he beat out to get the single season record last year? probably a Ruud. It might be a little ambitious of us to think he'll be better stats wise in a 3 linebacker set. He's incredible either way, I have no doubt, but understanding system isn't always going to translate into more tackles. He set the record, if he breaks it I can't imagine anyone not being pleased but I don't think that'll happen with the change in conference.

I guess what I am saying is even if he becomes a better linebacker (which he will) it probably won't be in the stats, but he's going to be a "stud" anyways because of the record books.

I don't think he'll be better at all stats wise. With more LBs back there, I think he stands to take a dip, maybe even a really sizable one, in stats this year. And then the chirping heads in the media are going to talk about what a down year...which is going to be totally stupid, and completely wrong in every way.

If David improves in his comfort in and knowledge of the scheme, the real legend should be written this year - no matter what the stats say. I think we completely agree! :P

I just think David's best quality as a player will bear fruit this year, while last year will be outstanding only ostensibly in comparison.

• Fire 1