Defensive Players??

Just wondering in the heat of this mad hype about our new commitments it seems that the coaches have put a lot of importance in recruiting offensive players. I know that the WCO will totally change the types of players we need but does anyone else think that maybe there is not enough importance on defense especially with the defensive line. Its not like our old d line was putting fear in the eyes of the quarterback. Blankenship is going to be a good player for the Huskers but most of the other defensive commits came from Solich and there hasnt been much excitment about defensive studs. Are we better set on defensive or is this a concern others have??

HuskerPower

Thats a good question. However IMO our weakest link was on the O-Line, and I think they have addressed that problem very nicely. So far the new defensive players we have coming in are:

LB Keenan, Brandenburgh, & possibly Maurice McClellan (if not RB)

DE Steinkuhler, Adam Blankenship

DT Byron Smith

And hopefully if we nab one or more of the remaining Tally kids we will have a pretty solid Defensive class of '04. And our current secondary is very young, so Im not overly concerned. But you may be right, with all they hype around the WCO there is a natural, tendency to over-emphasize pumping up the offensive "skill positions", and neglect others. But from what Ive heard John Blake is a force and should replace BP as the new heart and soul to get the D all crunked up again.

:ph34r:

One thing I am certainly worried about is DB, even if we get Grixby. NU has F.Washington and that's it. Amos may never return to his old form and the others have graduated or were good, I believe, because of the scheme. We need at least one more solid DB, and that's counting Grixby. Which I do believe is committing to NU.

redout

There are plenty of good players on both sides of the ball.......It could be a Veland deal....move from offense to defense, we did it in the past and it worked great....Look for speed to be on the field....a reciever may move to DB, we may see it in spring ball.....the 'crooting class is falling together nicely.....the sky was fallin a couple of weeks ago... and now we are worried about depth...great turnaround.......

I was really gearing my comments toward corners, but what about depth. Say one of them goes down, who goes in???????? Can't count on Bland. He's been hurt more than he's played. I think at best McPherson is average. Slim pickin's in the secondary. Washington is the only true corner.

redout

I agree we to strengthen our DB situation. Let's face it, with the exception of this past season and when we Brown, Brown, and Craver, we haven't had very good pass defense. We've got have strong DBs to compete anymore. I see Panico was drafted as RB/DB, maybe he'll turn out to be a good prospect for defense. I hope so!

Very good question. And heres a little fix fer ya that just might get ya all puckered up.

Word is that a one Josh Hargis (San Marcos (CA)

Palomar College Cornerback / Safety) got a call from us while in Ames last weekend, where he just "committed" I might add. Now take this for what its worth, but this "source" said that he was estatic about hearing from us, and although already told ISU he was in, he is VERY intrigued and may give us a look. Kid is a stud, Height: 6-foot-3, 175, 4.4 40 yd and sounds like he's JUST what were looking for to lock down the corners.

Bio:

Hargis led the nation in interceptions with 11 as a sophomore and was named Mission Conference American Division Defensive Player-of-the-Year along with being first-team all-conference and a JUCO All-American. He attended Vista High School in Vista (Cal.)

Cross em up and hope this kid to Lincoln withme. Or just drink and be merry.

I guess i wasnt really thinking right when i made this post. Of course the d wont be overlooked we have Blake and he will get the great defensive commits to come to Huskerland. Rory Johnson is reported to be coming next week on a visit. He is highly ranked linebacker with great speed. What was i thinking we are in GREAT hands. HuskerPower

Its okay huskerpower, its easy to lose your bearing during this everchanging period. When all this dust settles and we really sit down to assess what just happened over the past month! wow. hard to grasp really.

But yes Im real confident in Blakes abilities. He is emerging as the dominant recruiting leader, and many croots are naming him as one of the immediate favorites. Very likeable guy apparently.