Offensive Line

74Hunter

I know that it is the norm to bag on Barney and how horrible he is, but it looks as if something is going right with the OL. I know it was one game, but from what I have seen so far, they have been committing fewer mental penalties, and even though some of the guys are missing assignments, they look decent.

UW was supposed to have a very good DT, and he was a non factor. Face it, since Barney has been here, we have been plagued by injury or guys just not ever making an impact for whatever reason. We started 3 walkons/former walkons yesterday, and had a bunch underclassman taking snaps. IMO, the line looked to be a little bit young and immature physically, but their technique seems decent.

Still a work in progress, but lets hope that they continue to improve.

Edit: On a side note, when we were bitching about how we got jobbed by Big 12 officials last year, I had quite a few B1G fans tell me how horrible the B1G officials are. They were right, that was a downright pathetic crew yesterday.

Edited by 74Hunter

For all the bashing the o-line has taken, I'll be the first to give credit where credit is due, because I have been harping on them as much as anyone. They played a really good game yesterday and the entire team played perhaps the best quarter of football this year in the third quarter.

http://huskerextra.c...a1b060369b.html

This article explains a little more in depth of the line rotation.

edit...figured out the qoute button lol.

That's because of a rotation that offensive line coach Barney Cotton implemented early and stuck with throughout Nebraska's 51-38 victory against Washington. Thompson entered on Nebraska's third series, replacing Seung Hoon Choi at left guard, and the two rotated every two series.

Cotton also used senior Marcel Jones and sophomore Jeremiah Sirles in a similar rotation at the tackle spots, with starters Tyler Moore and Yoshi Hardrick. Of the offensive linemen, only center Mike Caputo played the entire game at his position.

By the fourth quarter, when running back Rex Burkhead was again churning out big yards, those fresh legs were quite evident.

"It's pretty demoralizing to someone when you can just say, ‘All right, we're going to line up right here and we're going to run it right here. Stop it,'" Sirles said. "We just kept doing it and kept doing it."