It was made clear to me why B1G teams play like crap in bowl games today...

The announcers were talking today, and I got to thinking about us being a big 10 team and no longer playing any Big 12 teams, and I think I realized why Big 10 teams typically blow chunks in bowl games.

We knew there'd be a transition period while getting used to the Big 10. The announcers explained this, mentioning how our D had to agree to the downhill style of most Big 10 offenses, as opposed to the lateral movement of a lot of Big 12 offenses.

I fully realized we would no longer play Big 12 teams that use such spread variations and were therefore more likely to see more power, north and south stuff in the Big 10 (with obvious exceptions abounding... Michigan, Northwestern, etc.).

So, do Big 10 teams suck against SEC and other speedy teams because they're not used to the lateral attacks of spread teams who have speedier players, or is there some other reason? It seems like Big 10 teams religious come out and get rolled generally come bowl season, with the top teams perhaps faring OK (OSU in the Sugar Bowl last year).

For starters each and every Big Ten bowl game is played in the home territory of the opponent, sometimes in the opponent's home stadium. (e.g. UCLA in the Rose)

Secondly, it is true the SEC is the best college conference and the Big Ten meets the SEC in at least two, often three, bowl games. IMO, it isn't really speed at the skilled positions that puts the SEC over the Big Ten. It's power and speed on the defensive line that does. It seems each of the top SEC teams has a defensive lineman, maybe even two or three, who are on the level of Crick.

Third, over the longish haul the Big Ten isn't massively under .500 in bowl games. Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin all have winning bowl records over the last 20 years.

well, judging by the fevered protest, i've obviously struck a nerve. i can see why people would be so worried about it. but who could blame old ham-loaf face for feeling like he had to break the rules to keep up with Tattoo U?

Maybe next year he will find a couple "transfers" that can defend the hail mary.

Maybe....and maybe Osborne can get some more parolees from the Lancaster county Jail...we'll see.

well, judging by the fevered protest, i've obviously struck a nerve. i can see why people would be so worried about it. but who could blame old ham-loaf face for feeling like he had to break the rules to keep up with Tattoo U?

Maybe next year he will find a couple "transfers" that can defend the hail mary.

You "struck a nerve" by throwing out unfounded accusations of a kid who, by all accounts, is a great person on and off the field. You obviously have some deep-seated resentment towards Bielema and Wisconsin as a whole.

By the way, your post is the most passive-aggressive one yet.

Let's just break down one year of B10 bowls, starting last year which was on paper awful...

TicketCity

Texas Tech 45, Northwestern 38

Texas

Illinois 38, Baylor 14

Insight

Iowa 27, Missouri 24

Outback

Florida 37, Penn State 24

Gator

Mississippi State 52, Michigan 14

Capital One

Alabama 49, Michigan State 7

Sugar

Ohio State 31, Arkansas 26

Rose

TCU 21, Wisconsin 19

No Persa for Northwestern. Florida had a roller coaster season but was still a good team and wanted to send Meyer out on a high note. Michigan got most of their wins early on, the awful defense and special teams and one man offense played out like it should have. Bama lost some tough games, but was still a damn good team. Wisconsin should have one the Rose Bowl, but it wasn't exactly an embarrassment.

I really think this year the B10 rolls in the bowl games. SEC is really a mixed bag after after Bama / LSU. Whoever the B12 sends to the Insight, Texas, and TicketCity bowls will either have a horrible defense (Aggy, Baylor, Tech) or horrible offense (K-State). If it's Oregon or ASU in the Rose Bowl both teams have proven to be very beatable, but Stanford could be a real uphill battle. If we have enough for the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl...well the MAC is looking pretty horrid.

This argument some of you are putting forth is bs anyways. Almost every team in the nation has "spread" elements, or uses them to a certain extent. Spread is a very large and generic term - it essentially means getting your players in space to make plays. What are you guys using for classification as a "spread" team? Teams that run the shotgun a lot? Teams that constantly have four WR sets or more?

I'm curious what your individual opinions are because throwing the term "spread" out there is about as generic as saying they play "offense."

I use to think it was the large gap between the lineman & spreading your WR across the line, but who cares the spread now is just a package. Didn't you get the memo this decade the fad is to be "multiple".

they barely squeaked by unranked USC. the top half of the b1G would rape them. in the face

we should have the rose bowl at the B1G team's home venue instead of pasadena...see how the fightin' christmas trees do then.

I was thinking that we should start the Blizzard Bowl. We will play the highest rated tropical weather team in the Big 10 city with the most snow on the ground.