US & UK plan to attack Iran

***snip***

Should Israel attack Iran, the response would destroy Israel and a good portion of Saudi Arabia and gulf allies, and shut down the flow of oil. That, and our troops in Irag and Afghanistan would be sitting ducks.

***snip***

I just don't see that happening. Iran's nuclear facilities have already been hit by Israeli airstrikes. Iran won't risk being obliterated just because of targeted airstrikes. They may be radical and reactionary but they are not completely insane.

Also, it doesn't matter what used Soviet designed missiles Iran possesses. If the Israelis or US decide that an airstrike is required the Iranians will not be able to stop it.

This. Iran is more effective funding the insurgents operating in the middle east like they have for the last many years. They can beat their drum, but they can't stop a legit attack like they have before. The big question here is whether or not, in this day and age, will the UN support Israel's pre-emptive strike against Iran's nulcear facilities? IMHO, Israel was justified in the past, but will need a miracle of support to do this again. I don't get the warm and fuzzy that they will have our support in another defensive attack as before.

No they've never have had it and they never will, they were roundly condemned for their last such 'defensive' action, even the US voted for the resolution sanctioning them.

***snip***

Should Israel attack Iran, the response would destroy Israel and a good portion of Saudi Arabia and gulf allies, and shut down the flow of oil. That, and our troops in Irag and Afghanistan would be sitting ducks.

***snip***

I just don't see that happening. Iran's nuclear facilities have already been hit by Israeli airstrikes. Iran won't risk being obliterated just because of targeted airstrikes. They may be radical and reactionary but they are not completely insane.

Also, it doesn't matter what used Soviet designed missiles Iran possesses. If the Israelis or US decide that an airstrike is required the Iranians will not be able to stop it.

This. Iran is more effective funding the insurgents operating in the middle east like they have for the last many years. They can beat their drum, but they can't stop a legit attack like they have before. The big question here is whether or not, in this day and age, will the UN support Israel's pre-emptive strike against Iran's nulcear facilities? IMHO, Israel was justified in the past, but will need a miracle of support to do this again. I don't get the warm and fuzzy that they will have our support in another defensive attack as before.

No they've never have had it and they never will, they were roundly condemned for their last such 'defensive' action, even the US voted for the resolution sanctioning them.

Good thing there isn't a wipe Israel off the face of the earth sentiment going around among Iran's government and religious leaders...

***snip***

***snip***

Good thing there isn't a wipe Israel off the face of the earth sentiment going around among Iran's government and religious leaders...

Doubt they'd ever act on it in such a manner though. Really, if anything an Israeli preemptive attack would only serve to solidify the extremists' grip on that government. Objectively looking at Iran's history over the past 100 years I'd say they are more than justified in their hatred of the United States and Israel and could almost argue that their pursuit of nuclear capabilities is for legitimate reasons. I also tend to think that their development of such weapons, if they truly are attempting to build them, is more of a power play against nations in the region outside of Israel, I mean the Saudis seem to be just as concerned about this as the Israelis.

Just my two cents, incoherent as it might be.

WEll dont believe me , listen to the "crazy talk" from a former 30 year green beret , special forces and intelligence guy ... Texas overnight , Master sergeant Jess Johnson ... This is part one , and you'll have to click into part two ...( Special guest Jess Johnson ) Part one and two

http://dfw.cbslocal....charley-jones/#

Oh, better and better. This supreme insider was a master sergeant? Are you kidding me? A master sergeant from the Army no less . . . knows about a super-secret US nuclear strategy? First, the Army doesn't have nukes. Secondly, this guy doesn't know a damn thing about US nuclear strategy. Third, stop and think about this stuff before posting.

I don't know how to interact with people who are completely incapable of evaluating information.

I believe the US Army retired all of the nuclear artillery weapons in the early 1990s, but I I was unaware that they had retired all of the US nuke-tipped SSMs.

Secondly, having been involved in some NUWEP planning myself, the idea of a senior enlisted man having access to various oplans is not all that unusual, particularly with the overall reduction of officers in the military services. Very often, MSgts are doing the work preciously performed by Captains in today's Air Force.

BTW, I stopped and thought about this "stuff" before I posted.

^ Cosign,

I wouldn't categorically dismiss a Senior NCO's opinion just because he's "enlisted" Don't forget that these offices and sections where this business is handled is staffed by not only by officers but also overseen by your E8's and 9's...I have no opinion on the specifics of that discussion but MSG's aren't fools.

By the way...awesome username Yossarian, that's one of my favorite books :thumbs

I've lived in Spain while I was in the USAF. In fact, that's where I had my son. I've TDY's to other countries. But yeah, I look at news from all over. One of the main sites I got to for news is the BBC. Although now that they have auto start video ads, they are even more annoying than many of the US news sites.

Spain is a beautiful country. My wife's boss has a home there somewhere in the south about an hour from the sea, and we have an open invite to use it should we decide to vacation there.

Me... I got to live in beautiful Ciudad Juarez for a few years!

Why on earth would a special ops guy (not to mention a retired special ops guy) know about US nuclear strategy? More importantly, why would we feel the need to NUKE Iran? The US will NOT use nukes again unless it is in retaliation for another country's use of WMDs. It just won't happen.

I agree... we have the conventional forces to do what we need done.

No sir heard this from a retired special ops guy around a year ago on the Texas overnight show with Charley Jones. We arent going to invade Iran , but we are going to small scale nuke them back into the ABDULLAH days ... count on it ..If we keep our military machine in Iraq the machinery will be radiated so they are momentarily moving it out of the way . Time will tell ..Would have already been done , but they are worried about Russias response

All Im going to say is, if a country ever uses nuclear weapons (including the U.S.) that will be the end of everything IMO. It will set off a chain reaction of countries nuking eachother. Better hope this is not correct.

Iran is more effective funding the insurgents operating in the middle east like they have for the last many years. They can beat their drum, but they can't stop a legit attack like they have before

I never said that Iraq would be able to do anything to fend off an air attack, nor would they be able to mount a ground offensive against anyone.

However they would still be able to fend off a ground offensive (from anyone but US troops) as they did against Iraq during the 80s, and they have the missiles to wreck Israel and much of the rest of the Gulf.

The big question here is whether or not, in this day and age, will the UN support Israel's pre-emptive strike against Iran's nulcear facilities? IMHO, Israel was justified in the past, but will need a miracle of support to do this again. I don't get the warm and fuzzy that they will have our support in another defensive attack as before.

That is an easy question to answer...

US and EU allies will support it, Russia and China will not.

The UN is useless in this manner, it is like our congress.

That depends if you want to go by the correct translation, or the distorted translation used for propaganda.

Let's keep it honest here, that "wipe Israel off the face of the earth" has shown to be wrong.

If someone is obviously the bad guy, you should not have to resort to dishonesty to prove them to be bad.

I believe the US Army retired all of the nuclear artillery weapons in the early 1990s, but I I was unaware that they had retired all of the US nuke-tipped SSMs.

Secondly, having been involved in some NUWEP planning myself, the idea of a senior enlisted man having access to various oplans is not all that unusual, particularly with the overall reduction of officers in the military services. Very often, MSgts are doing the work preciously performed by Captains in today's Air Force.

BTW, I stopped and thought about this "stuff" before I posted.

Good post Yos, and it's nice to see you again.

While I would agree that we have hundreds of contingencies for the use of battlefield nukes that would be known by officers to the MSgt level, but what is going on in Iran is not worth the potential blowback. And no way in heck do we launch a surface to surface missile.

Here are a few articles I've been reading while looking at the Michigan / Iowa game...

Nasrallah: Hizballah can fight Israel without aid from Iran or Syria

http://debka.com/article/21451/

The Lebanese Hizballah leader Hassan Nasrallah, while inspecting his fighting units in the last two weeks, has briefed commanders on updated operational plans for firing 10,000 rockets at Tel Aviv and Israel's air force and reserve mobilization bases in a surprise attack, debkafile's military sources report.

To boost morale, Nasrallah reported the arrival of advanced weapons, including anti-tank and anti-air missiles from Libya. debkafile's sources report they were delivered to Lebanon by sea and air freighters from the Libyan capital of Tripoli. A Hizballah purchasing mission in Tripoli and Benghazi bought the weapons from military units making up the National Transitional Council ruling Libya as an interim government. Iranian and Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood agents were on hand to pay for the merchandise on the spot.

debkafile's sources comment that, while Israel's leading politicians and mass media hammer away at the whys and wherefores of a potential strike against Iran's nuclear sites on the strength of largely fictitious information deliberately disseminated to make a point, Israel faces a real and imminent threat of a cross-border flare-up with Hizballah and Syria. Syrian President Bashar Assad made it clear in a British press interview Sunday, Oct. 30, that if he has his back to the wall as a result of foreign intervention in the uprising against him, he will "burn the Middle East." Three weeks ago, on Oct. 4, the Syrian ruler warned that if he faced foreign intervention, he would need "not more than six hours to transfer hundreds of rockets and missiles to the Golan Heights to fire them at Tel Aviv."

No sir heard this from a retired special ops guy around a year ago on the Texas overnight show with Charley Jones. We arent going to invade Iran , but we are going to small scale nuke them back into the ABDULLAH days ... count on it ..If we keep our military machine in Iraq the machinery will be radiated so they are momentarily moving it out of the way . Time will tell ..Would have already been done , but they are worried about Russias response .

This....may be... the dumbest piece of anecdotal evidence I have ever heard. I must be missing the funny.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-military-official-we-are-concerned-israel-will-not-warn-us-before-iran-attack-1.393834

U.S. officials are concerned that Israel will not warn them before taking military action against Iran's nuclear facilities, a senior U.S. military official said Friday. The official, who asked to remain anonymous, told the CNN network that although in the past, U.S. officials thought they would receive warning from Israel if it did take military action against Iran, "now that doesn't seem so ironclad."