Keystone Pipeline

Obama is correct (even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while), this leak-prone pipeline should not be going over key aquafiers.

And this is where alot of people are wrong. The safety measures to prevent leaks for pipelines are taken very seriously. The DOT and EPA do audits continuously to see if companies are maintaining the correct measures for keeping the pipelines safe. Pipeline companies also have to run tools that moniter and detect any defects that have occured on the pipeline. These defects are then reported to the DOT and determined what the seriousness of it is and the measurements to repairing it. In all honesty, a semi hauling oil has a better chance of having a leak then a pipeline does.

So what happens when the next Pub POTUS gets rid of the EPA and DOT? We leave it up to private biz to keep an eye on it?

Not going to happen, ever. I know Perry wanted to eliminate some departments, I can't remember which ones though. ;) Even if Perry was in office, the worst thing that would happen is departments would merge and there would still always be oversight. But nice try at the scare tactics. BTW, how was your recent oil demanding, fuel guzzling, air polluting, global warming, subsidized flight you took? Hope it was good. :)

Tough to find solid facts. At one time I saw a investor slide show that talked about Latin America and Europe as being primary markets but that seems to be scrubbed from the internet now. I'll keep trying to find it.

Here's a somewhat thorough breakdown:

http://www.usnews.co...one-xl-pipeline

Here is some general information about Foreign Trade Zones. (I wonder why TransCanada would want their pipeline to end in a place where they don't have to pay export fees if they are going to keep the oil in the US? Hmmm.)

http://www.texaswide...Trade-Zones.pdf

Didn't know the GOP had 89 seats in the Senate now.

They don't... but it looks like oil interests do.

Yep and don't forget about union interest as well. Most of the job creation will go to them.

Oh . . . you mean this job creation?

http://www.ilr.corne...e_few_jobs.html

Keystone XL could kill more jobs than it creates.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but it isn't working. We already talked about it in this thread about how the jobs thing is not going to be that big of a deal, especially for the local economies. Most of it is going to be temporary as the pipeline is being built, those jobs don't last but they are union jobs. Why do you think they brought union workers in by bus to Lincoln to protest in favor of the pipeline. The other place that will get the jobs will be the refineries in TX, also union jobs.

That is a great article you posted. If further backs my point that we need refineries closer to home such as SD, more jobs here and cheaper fuel. Although, I don't see how it can take jobs away because you said all the oil was being shipped overseas so how can they divert this oil from other refineries. I'm really starting to get confused here. :confucius

Yep and don't forget about union interest as well. Most of the job creation will go to them.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but it isn't working. We already talked about it in this thread about how the jobs thing is not going to be that big of a deal, especially for the local economies. Most of it is going to be temporary as the pipeline is being built, those jobs don't last but they are union jobs. Why do you think they brought union workers in by bus to Lincoln to protest in favor of the pipeline. The other place that will get the jobs will be the refineries in TX, also union jobs.

That is a great article you posted. If further backs my point that we need refineries closer to home such as SD, more jobs here and cheaper fuel Although, I don't see how it can take jobs away because you said all the oil was being shipped overseas so how can they divert this oil from other refineries. I'm really starting to get confused here.

Mitt Romney would have been proud of the flip-flopping seen in these two posts...

That is a great article you posted. If further backs my point that we need refineries closer to home such as SD, more jobs here and cheaper fuel Although, I don't see how it can take jobs away because you said all the oil was being shipped overseas so how can they divert this oil from other refineries. I'm really starting to get confused here.

Mitt Romney would have been proud of the flip-flopping seen in these two posts...

Please explain the flip flopping. I never talked about the number of jobs in the first post did I? I just mentioned where the jobs would be going. and that's why the unions back this. Please explain why I flip flopped?

Please explain the flip flopping. I never talked about the number of jobs in the first post did I? I just mentioned where the jobs would be going. and that's why the unions back this. Please explain why I flip flopped?

You said the pipeline was good for unions, before you said it wasn't.

You said the pipeline was good for unions, before you said it wasn't.

I did? Where?

That is a great article you posted. If further backs my point that we need refineries closer to home such as SD, more jobs here and cheaper fuel. Although, I don't see how it can take jobs away because you said all the oil was being shipped overseas so how can they divert this oil from other refineries. I'm really starting to get confused here. :confucius

Well, now I'm confused. I thought OWS was backed and funded by the unions . . . but they protested strongly against Keystone. I guess the only constant is that unions make an excellent boogeyman.

I actually covered the Keystone hearings before the legislature several months ago. The only protesters that I personally know were brought in by bus were ranchers who were protesting the pipeline crossing their land. I actually met a few distant relatives for the first time who were not exactly happy about the government stepping in and saying that they had to allow TransCanada to come through.

I think you might want to look at what types of fuels are made (cost effectively) from tar sands. Hint: there is a reason why the primary markets are Europe and Latin America.