What do we need to change before the next game?

ladyhawke

How do you work on catching the ball? It seemed like our guys had such a difficult time catching and holding on to the ball. How do the coaches work on this with these players?

How do we get our front D guys to break through? There was very little pressure on PSU's qb. (Although I thought PSU was holding our guys often throughout the game and the refs didn't call it.)

How can we get other players in? Just to try them out. When our D gets tired, are there others that can come in and play while the starters take a rest? Same on offense. We have all this talent, I'm puzzled as to why we aren't using it if only to give our starters a breather.

IDK.... I'm starting to wonder whether it's just bad talent. Think about it: We suck at holding on to the ball with Gilmore and now it's the same with Fisher (with a minuscule improvement). It's sad when it's 3rd and 8 and you know you almost have no chance bec. a WR won't make a play. Sure we had a couple of big completions but if Kinnie and Bell make a couple of average plays any D1 WR should make, we win this game by 14 points. Kinnie's boo boo's are the worst. The ball hits him square in the hands and he drops it. Bell's was a little more difficult but still very catchable ....... IDK..... looks like we have a talent issue.

I have to disagree on the talent issue, I think we actually have more talented WR's than in recent years with the exception of players like Swift, and Peterson. As a whole I think this group has more potential and talent than in recent years. Kinnie on the other hand has far too many drops. Eeven good NFL players with talent occasionally drop sure passes but Kinnie does this way to often to be excusable.

Woody nailed it....The way to beat Michigan is let their QB try to do too much. He makes terrible decisions in crucial situations A LOT. He will definitely make us pay if we do not contain him but from what i have seen he is very hesitant to run vs earlier in his career. He was pulled last week because of his poor play, and his backup is not a threat to run it as much but he is a better pocket passer altho we have beaten much better. The only concern I have is their RB who seems to be getting better every game, the key will be stopping him believe it or not.

As far as their defense goes....lots of river boat gambling....we need to make them pay for the all out blitzes which with the way Martinez has been playing, we can do this and score on big plays....this will be a battle, but I think we match up pretty well.

I almost think we should Move Reed to WR and Move Kinnie to TE....I really think Reed is a better receiver and Kinnie is a better blocker....and I think Kinnie might even be bigger....thoughts? Also the failed 4th down play was blown up mostly due to reed's man pushing him into Long and as a result Burkhead could not turn up field...running without Cotton at TE is a big issue and Reed is NOT the answer...we definitely need to run behind someone else.

The team that you're playing on Saturday has a pretty speedy QB as I'm sure you know.

He loses his mind on several plays a game(not the good kind of losing his mind). He will make throws where you are like "What is he thinking?"

Obviously his strength is his legs. His throwing is mediocre. He likes to play "500"

Tailbacks are small but quick. Nothing like their typical Chris Perry or Anthony Thomas tailbacks. Not really effective against decent teams(ie their tailback is their QB)

WRs are OK. Nothing amazing or anything. Once again, They are not the typical Manningham or Terrell-like WRs they usually have.

The best way I can describe their offense is that they do stuff that you think wouldn't be their strong suit. They try a lot of things. Not just the scatback stuff with Robinson. Very diverse they just don't have the talent yet to pull all of it off successfully yet.

Defense likes to blitz. They are very well coached now. They don't have a bunch of talent but they play really good defense for what they have and the coaches know it so they take more chances(as opposed to PSU who takes very few chances because their Dline is so stout)

You can just see that a mobile QB will give them fits though(Where Martinez comes in). They aren't very big and Hoke has to get the right players in if they plan on being like the 97 defense.

Dline is the best part of their D. Not saying a whole lot but they do have a decent Dline unit.

Woody, thanks for the scouting report! Is their D fast? Sometimes we play against these big guys but they are slower than molasses! Any chance that's the case with this D-line?

The team that you're playing on Saturday has a pretty speedy QB as I'm sure you know.

He loses his mind on several plays a game(not the good kind of losing his mind). He will make throws where you are like "What is he thinking?"

Obviously his strength is his legs. His throwing is mediocre. He likes to play "500"

Tailbacks are small but quick. Nothing like their typical Chris Perry or Anthony Thomas tailbacks. Not really effective against decent teams(ie their tailback is their QB)

WRs are OK. Nothing amazing or anything. Once again, They are not the typical Manningham or Terrell-like WRs they usually have.

The best way I can describe their offense is that they do stuff that you think wouldn't be their strong suit. They try a lot of things. Not just the scatback stuff with Robinson. Very diverse they just don't have the talent yet to pull all of it off successfully yet.

Defense likes to blitz. They are very well coached now. They don't have a bunch of talent but they play really good defense for what they have and the coaches know it so they take more chances(as opposed to PSU who takes very few chances because their Dline is so stout)

You can just see that a mobile QB will give them fits though(Where Martinez comes in). They aren't very big and Hoke has to get the right players in if they plan on being like the 97 defense.

Dline is the best part of their D. Not saying a whole lot but they do have a decent Dline unit.

Woody, thanks for the scouting report! Is their D fast? Sometimes we play against these big guys but they are slower than molasses! Any chance that's the case with this D-line?

I wouldn't worry about the speed. Nothing too fast, which is why they take so many chances and gamble. They are still a ways away from where they normally are pre-2007. Rodriguez destroyed alot of their talent.

I almost think we should Move Reed to WR and Move Kinnie to TE....I really think Reed is a better receiver and Kinnie is a better blocker....and I think Kinnie might even be bigger....thoughts? Also the failed 4th down play was blown up mostly due to reed's man pushing him into Long and as a result Burkhead could not turn up field...running without Cotton at TE is a big issue and Reed is NOT the answer...we definitely need to run behind someone else.

Oh boy, that's for sure. I love Reed's explosive play at TE but he's "not" going to block any Lineman or LB (at all).