What do we need to change before the next game?

ladyhawke

I'm thinking that if we play Michigan the way we played Michigan State-shut down Dennard Robinson, then we could win this game.

The problem here is that Robinson is obviously way way more of a run threat than Cousins. We do well against drop back, stay in the pocket passers...not so well against mobile QB's. Pelini's really have their hands full this week scheming a game plan to stop Robinson. I don't know how we do this with our personnel on defense right now. This is a week Pelini's earn their paycheck...I will be surprised if we can keep Michigan to low scoring.

Defensively...... we need to get pressure with our front 4 and then some. Robinson will collaspe under pressure, illnois was getting to him and making him make bad decisions. Its seems Michigan likes to shoot themselves in the foot alot, so Nebraska shouldnt panic after big play, just stay the course.

Offensively...... Just do what we do. I would like to see some long 65-80 yard, 15 play drives to keep there offense off the field. Feed Rex and let Tmart do some QB draws out of the shotgun. Our Oline needs to get nasty and dominate the line of scrimmage.

I thought those gloves were suppose to help them. Good grief! Does anyone else remember, back in the day, how they used to teach the boys how to catch and hold on to the ball? There was some machine or technique that they used again, and again that helped these guys learn how to catch and hold on to the ball. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

What the heck do they need the gloves for, if they don't work. Nobody wore those in the 70s and they caught the ball just fine.

Do we need to go all out Lester Hayes? Maybe Bo needs to ban them for a week and see what happens.

Well, the upside is that we've easily already played the three toughest defenses in the Big10. So maybe there's some hope the Oline can get some push vs Michigan? The Wolverines have a decent defense but no where close to PSU, OSU or MSU.

I know, neither did NW but I'm hoping that was some kind of bizarre fluke. A guy can always hope, right? :corndance

While I'm at it, I'm also "hoping" our wrs catch the ball too. So, the change we want/need is from our wrs & Oline.

GBR!!

Well, the upside is that we've easily already played the three toughest defenses in the Big10. So maybe there's some hope the Oline can get some push vs Michigan? The Wolverines have a decent defense but no where close to PSU, OSU or MSU.

I know, neither did NW but I'm hoping that was some kind of bizarre fluke. A guy can always hope, right? :corndance

While I'm at it, I'm also "hoping" our wrs catch the ball too. So, the change we want/need is from our wrs & Oline.

GBR!!

Agreed, I believe the oline will do much better against michigan. Its gonna be the game Martinez finally gets another 80 yard TD run ;)

Defensively...... we need to get pressure with our front 4 and then some. Robinson will collaspe under pressure, illnois was getting to him and making him make bad decisions. Its seems Michigan likes to shoot themselves in the foot alot, so Nebraska shouldnt panic after big play, just stay the course.

Offensively...... Just do what we do. I would like to see some long 65-80 yard, 15 play drives to keep there offense off the field. Feed Rex and let Tmart do some QB draws out of the shotgun. Our Oline needs to get nasty and dominate the line of scrimmage.

I'm not real sure, but I haven't noticed the front four getting pressure on any of the q/b's that can move in the pocket. If that's what its going to take to win it, could be a long day.

Hope they can, but........

GBR!!!

Maybe (and I'm sure coach will do this) they should look back on the teams that beat Michigan. Michigan State beat them so if they were able to do that and we beat MSU then we should be able to beat Michigan-right? Iowa beat them too. However, both of those were road games but nonetheless they did beat them. How? We beat PSU on the road. I think we play slightly better on the road but I see no reason, IF we bring our A game that we can't beat Michigan.

On the contrar, having our d-line put pressure on Dennard could be a bad thing. We lose on little bit of containment and then there's big problems. Much like how we played Tyrod Taylor in 09, it would be best to contain him within the pocket and make him throw the ball. That is his weakness. Either way it's gonna take probably 30 points to win this game, just like I expected against Northwestern, it's all gonna come down to if the offense is up to it.

Yep, we have to bring our A game on both sides. I was reading some input on the Michigan Wolverines board. Mixed reviews as to who wins this game. They don't have that much confidence in their offense if Drob doesn't show up. Evidently he hurt his hand recently and they're worried that if he doesn't play they will lose.

By pressure, I mean the kind that makes him make poor decisions. On that Wolverine board they were comparing Drob and Martinez as the two worst decision makers in the B1G. Well, obviously, they haven't watched Taylor play lately. He's really improved his decision making as of late and I think we can win this one.

How do you work on catching the ball? It seemed like our guys had such a difficult time catching and holding on to the ball. How do the coaches work on this with these players?

How do we get our front D guys to break through? There was very little pressure on PSU's qb. (Although I thought PSU was holding our guys often throughout the game and the refs didn't call it.)

How can we get other players in? Just to try them out. When our D gets tired, are there others that can come in and play while the starters take a rest? Same on offense. We have all this talent, I'm puzzled as to why we aren't using it if only to give our starters a breather.

IDK.... I'm starting to wonder whether it's just bad talent. Think about it: We suck at holding on to the ball with Gilmore and now it's the same with Fisher (with a minuscule improvement). It's sad when it's 3rd and 8 and you know you almost have no chance bec. a WR won't make a play. Sure we had a couple of big completions but if Kinnie and Bell make a couple of average plays any D1 WR should make, we win this game by 14 points. Kinnie's boo boo's are the worst. The ball hits him square in the hands and he drops it. Bell's was a little more difficult but still very catchable ....... IDK..... looks like we have a talent issue.

The team that you're playing on Saturday has a pretty speedy QB as I'm sure you know.

He loses his mind on several plays a game(not the good kind of losing his mind). He will make throws where you are like "What is he thinking?"

Obviously his strength is his legs. His throwing is mediocre. He likes to play "500"

Tailbacks are small but quick. Nothing like their typical Chris Perry or Anthony Thomas tailbacks. Not really effective against decent teams(ie their tailback is their QB)

WRs are OK. Nothing amazing or anything. Once again, They are not the typical Manningham or Terrell-like WRs they usually have.

The best way I can describe their offense is that they do stuff that you think wouldn't be their strong suit. They try a lot of things. Not just the scatback stuff with Robinson. Very diverse they just don't have the talent yet to pull all of it off successfully yet.

Defense likes to blitz. They are very well coached now. They don't have a bunch of talent but they play really good defense for what they have and the coaches know it so they take more chances(as opposed to PSU who takes very few chances because their Dline is so stout)

You can just see that a mobile QB will give them fits though(Where Martinez comes in). They aren't very big and Hoke has to get the right players in if they plan on being like the 97 defense.

Dline is the best part of their D. Not saying a whole lot but they do have a decent Dline unit.