Sometimes I get conservative

knapplc

Unless the opponent has Nick Fairley or Ndamukong Suh at DT, or you have an incredible, incredible matchup on the outside, you should never EVER be running a toss or pitch play to the outside on 3rd/4th and inches. It is so hilariously bad...the expected value of running that type of play in that situation is very negative. Just sneak it or do a quick handoff up the middle, EZ game.

Thanks coach.

This is what makes guys like Chip Kelly and the OC at Clemson really really tough. Those guys seem to never stop attacking.

Man, if only that first-year OC at Clemson would have been interested in Nebraska! What a hoot that would be! We would hire him immediately, Bo would never turn a guy like that away if they were interested.

While I don't disagree with either of you, I think you are over simplifying what they do. Things have really worked out in both teams favor.

Clemson got lucky that they struck gold with an unproven QB, the best true freshman receiver in the country and some decent running back play. Oregon has been bailed out by a back up QB, a back up Running back and a true freshman receiver they call 'Black Mamba'. Clemson's luck reminds of Auburn's last year. Clemson probably won't be a one and done though.

Beck says NU offense must attack

Tim Beck is nothing if not frank in his personal assessments.

"I think some games I get conservative ... I play not to lose instead of playing to win," the Nebraska offensive coordinator said after Saturday's 17-14 win at Penn State. "I think that was evident in some of the games. You get too conservative. The play-calling gets that way.

"As I look back and really thought about it, we have to be who we are, and that's an attacking offense. Sometimes I don't do that. For whatever reason, I don't."

He felt Nebraska's offense was too conservative in the second half Saturday, "with the lead and trying to use the clock," Beck said.

He has a point. Then again, it's hard to be overly critical about this particular win. I thought the offensive game plan was good. Nebraska prides itself on being "multiple." The Huskers attacked an excellent Nittany Lions defense in a variety of ways. Beck had to take that tact.

It says here Beck has had a very good season as offensive coordinator/playcaller. Granted, the Wisconsin loss stung, and Beck was very critical of himself after that game -- rightfully so. I really like the fact he's candid about his work. What say you?

Definitely agree with the bold. He's had a couple of poorly-called games. A few, actually. But overall, I think he's doing very well for a guy running a new scheme as a first-time OC.

It'll be interesting to see what this offense does next year. If it improves much, and the defense rounds into form earlier, we should be a pretty formidable team.

But most of the way through Year One of the Tim Beck Experiment, I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're headed.

I bet my bank account the offense will be much "faster" and more "attacking" when Beck gets our offense under a full year of coaching. We will see more of a Oregon style offense with the power running game. A offense that will be more refined. I believe our offense will give ANY team fits next year....that is my prediction.

I've wondered about this very same thing watching the offense this year: At times they look like they are brimming with confidence and attack a defense from all angles and with great play calls....then there are a lot of times when we look like a replica of the "2009 Zac Lee stuck in neutral" garbage where we have absolutely no imagination other than "Rex right Rex left TM ZR keeper"! This was most evident in the 1st Qtr. of the WI game where we looked like world beaters. Contrast that with the MSU and NW games where Beck was "playing not to lose" for the most part....

Reading this article made me wonder.... Is Beck susceptible to this thinking more than he wants to admit - meaning - is it how part of his DNA? At face value it looks pretty harmless that he admits his mistakes but I wonder when and how this will come back to bite us again..... The minute after TM throws an INT will be the time to see if Beck really believes what he just said about attacking or..... if he's crawls back into shell. When you see teams like OU, OkieLite and Oregon play - they attack. Even if something bad happens they come right back and get after you. That's what we need to become. Not saying that we shouldn't give it to Rex when under duress but there comes a time, esp. against above average defenses on the road where attacking that defense might be better than letting it hang in there and gain more confidence - and that's what I think happened against NW.

I bet you'll start seeing more diamond formation and Rex at QB....there is so much you can do with the diamond formation....it gives any defenses fits. Next year....I bet the offense will be much more refined and you will see a lot of diamond. hehe