Woah...looks like we have a front running pub that is going to use his brain.

and go against Tea Party silliness.

From last night's debate

"If you've come here recently, you have no ties to this country, you ought to go home, period," Gingrich said. "If you've been here 25 years and you got three kids and two grandkids, you've been paying taxes and obeying the law, you belong to a local church, I don't think we're going to separate you from your family, uproot you forcefully and kick you out."

http://firstread.msn...ck-to-haunt-him

From last night's debate

"If you've come here recently, you have no ties to this country, you ought to go home, period," Gingrich said. "If you've been here 25 years and you got three kids and two grandkids, you've been paying taxes and obeying the law, you belong to a local church, I don't think we're going to separate you from your family, uproot you forcefully and kick you out."

This is going to be Newt's hardest battle, winning over the Tea Party and ultra right Christian conservative groups. I'm not sure he can overcome his own party to even reach the Presidential election. Whatever you think of his beliefs and talking points, Newt is hands down the smartest and best debater of the Republican candidates and if he would win the nomination I think he would destroy Obama in the debates. To me he is the Democrats worst nightmare and I would think they will do everything in their power to make sure he doesn't make it out of the primaries.

From last night's debate

This is going to be Newt's hardest battle, winning over the Tea Party and ultra right Christian conservative groups. I'm not sure he can overcome his own party to even reach the Presidential election. Whatever you think of his beliefs and talking points, Newt is hands down the smartest and best debater of the Republican candidates and if he would win the nomination I think he would destroy Obama in the debates. To me he is the Democrats worst nightmare and I would think they will do everything in their power to make sure he doesn't make it out of the primaries.

He does well vs other pubs...or people in the media that can't/won't use on point follow up questions. Granted he's still probably the best at debating in the Pub field...but of those w/ a shot at winning they are all horrible outside of maybe Mitt.

Newt's problem is that his postions will alienate the voters who will show up for the primary - the most far-right of the conservatives. At the same time, his positions in regards to imigration would play well to independents and moderates in the general election.

Same could be said for Huntsman, of course. What makes them actually viable candidates in the general election is precisely what dooms them in the primaries. Pity.

as a side note, I can see how that quote can be misconstrued. I didn't see the debate and had no clue he was talking about illegal immigration. I was seeing it as "only people who have been here for years and have a family actually matter in this country...oh yeah, and you need to belong to a church. Otherwise, get the hell out."

as a side note, I can see how that quote can be misconstrued. I didn't see the debate and had no clue he was talking about illegal immigration. I was seeing it as "only people who have been here for years and have a family actually matter in this country...oh yeah, and you need to belong to a church. Otherwise, get the hell out."

LOL! Very true.

I'm not a fan of Newt - see his history as House Speaker, and he has a tendency to over-reach - but in this case, I think he was trying to speak in generalities, along the lines of, "If they are contributing to society and are 'decent' people..." kind of thing. I would hope that people wouldn't think that what he listed would be the actual requirements.

destroy Obama

Newt is probably the sixth or seventh candidate who's been granted this ability. With all of these Republican candidates who could "destroy Obama," I just don't see any way he can possibly win reelection.

Way to take a quote out of context, nice, and you are a mod here???

"I think he would destroy Obama in the debates" is what I actually said. That is all I said. Who said anything about the other candidates "destroying Obama" other then you? Heck I don't even know if Newt would beat Obama in the election but if it is Obama vs Newt, then Newt will make the debates about what Obama has done much more then the other Republican candidates, even with Newt's controversial past. If it is Obama vs any other candidate I don't think any of the other Republican candidates have the gonads to go after Obama the way Newt will.

destroy Obama

Newt is probably the sixth or seventh candidate who's been granted this ability. With all of these Republican candidates who could "destroy Obama," I just don't see any way he can possibly win reelection.

"I think he would destroy Obama in the debates" is what I actually said. That is all I said. Who said anything about the other candidates "destroying Obama" other then you? Heck I don't even know if Newt would beat Obama in the election but if it is Obama vs Newt, then Newt will make the debates about what Obama has done much more then the other Republican candidates, even with Newt's controversial past. If it is Obama vs any other candidate I don't think any of the other Republican candidates have the gonads to go after Obama the way Newt will.

I don't think any of the Republican nominee's will have to go after Obama. A lot of independent voters seem to have left the Obama camp and less likely to give him another 4 years after the 8 years of Bush that most didn't like in the first place. It seems the only change Obama was talking about was the change in his pocket.

I don't think any of the Republican nominee's will have to go after Obama. A lot of independent voters seem to have left the Obama camp and less likely to give him another 4 years after the 8 years of Bush that most didn't like in the first place. It seems the only change Obama was talking about was the change in his pocket.

And do you expect the Republicans to win the independent voters with their current lineup of clowns?

They seem more likely to scare them back to Obama.

The thing Gingrich has going for him that might ultimately help him overcome his baggage is he's by all accounts a genius. Contrast this with the other non-Roms--Bachman, Perry, and Cain--and you finally have a competent challenger to Romney. Mitt's financial advantage hasn't seemed to help him do anything more than bob around 25%. That number will of course skyrocket if he wins the nomination, but the fact that Newt has gained so much traction so quickly, especially after the disastrous start to his campaign, and his candidacy is based on substantive ideas, should terrify Romney.

It's nice to see a cerebral candidate doing well in one of our gameshow style elections. If he wins the nomination, for me this will be one interesting race. His answer on immigration in the debate the other night is exactly the kind of thing that will draw independents (although Romney already polls well among independents). In any case, I think we're looking at our final two. Now it would be nice if we could cut the dead weight in these debates and give the time to the candidates who have a prayer.

destroy Obama

It would be pretty amusing to see someone of Newt's intellectual caliber debate the sloganeer of Hope and Change. If Obama agrees to Newt's Lincoln-Doublas style format, the hilarity would double. If they did all proposed seven of them, it would septuple. Obama's vapid campaign tactics from the last election cycle will implode this time around, especially when it's now your 9% unemployment economy and no one is running after the disastrous Bush presidency.

It would be pretty amusing to see someone of Newt's intellectual caliber debate the sloganeer of Hope and Change. If Obama agrees to Newt's Lincoln-Doublas style format, the hilarity would double. If they did all proposed seven of them, it would septuple. Obama's vapid campaign tactics from the last election cycle will implode this time around, especially when it's now your 9% unemployment economy and no one is running after the disastrous Bush presidency.

While Newt is smarter, he has some very bad policy positions to defend.

Advantage... Obama.

Advantage... Obama.

ah..............some might argue that Obama has some very bad policy positions to defend....................

Advantage... Obama.

Even if that were true, and I'm not conceding it is because I haven't seen the debate yet, it's irrelevant to winning and losing debates. Watch William Lane Craig debate religion. The man's arguments once broken down are complete nonsense, but when he's onstage his sly debate tactics and slick presentation often leave his less experienced opponents shell shocked.

Obama is a sloganeer politician. He didn't run on substance the first time, and I doubt he'll be willing or able to do it now. Newt is a born debater (heh), and he's able to call on a wealth of knowledge on just about any subject on the spot. He's the closest thing to an Enlightenment politician I've seen in recent elections. Putting a scripted speech maker in the ring with a seasoned, experienced, and talented debater is suicide. I predict if Newt wins the nomination, we'll never have seen such a lopsided debate scenario.