Big Ten Bowls

Excel

Big Ten Bowls  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Two years in a row of bad bowl match ups for the B1G. Why is the B1G always playing a higher ranked teams in bowl games? I realize this year Mich backed into a BCS game beacuse of their name recognition (other teams higher ranked) and it had a ripple effect. Add the fact that B1G bowl games are typically "away" games and it looks to be another bad bowl season. Here is my spin:

ROSE: Wisconsin (BCS #10) v. Oregon (BCS #5) -

OK no excuses here - conf champ vs conf champ. Wisc needs to pull out a win especially given the TCU loss LY but Oregon will be too much for the pasty white boys at UW. Also, Oregon was a legit NC contender for most of the year while Wisc turned out to be a good B1G Champ. Oregon by 21.

SUGAR: Michigan (BCS #13) v. Virginia Tech (BCS #11)

Half-empty view Mich should be playing in cap one bowl vs SCar to make the parings more equal. Half full view - Mich has a national stage to make a stmt. I am not sure Mich is ready for prime time vs a top 10ish team and a team raned near the top 5 for much of the season. Va Tech by 9.

OUTBACK: Michigan State (BCS 17) v. Jawja (BCS 16)

Fairly even match-up on paper. UGA's D looked great in the first half vs LSU and their O has some playmakers. Time for MSU to see if it can play its best vs a team not named Wisconsin. As usualy the SEC team will eek out a win vs supposedly even teams. UGA by 3.

TICKETCITY: Penn State (22) v. Houston (19)

Penn State is avg and I thought them falling to this bowl vs CUSA would guarantee a W for the B1G. Unfortnately they draw a team ranked higher then them, playing close to home with a great QB and one that was ranked in the top 10 for the latter half of the season. CUSA will not produce a team like this more than once a decade but the B1G draws them. If PSU shows up to play then it will be close otherwise Houston pours it on. Houston by 10.

CAPITALONE: Nebraska (20) v. South Carolina (9)

A fair match up based on BCS rankings would be Mich vs SCar but the B1G draws another paring (like prior years) against a tough higher ranked SEC team. I don't think Neb has the offense to score on SCar. Scar by 13.

INSIGHT: Iowa (UR) v. Oklahoma (14)

B1G's 7-8th best team vs B12's 2/3. Again an unranked B1G team draws a much higher ranked B12 team in the Insight. Last year - UR Iowa beat #12 Missouri. OU was a top 10 team most of the season while Iowa never cracked the top 25. OU by 28

MEINEKE: Northwestern v. Texas A&M

AM was supposed to be a 9 or 10 win team this year and was ranked for much of the year. NW is NW. Even with how things went with AM this year, they still can easily out-athlete NW and win this game. Being a home game doesn't help NW either. AM by 10.

GATOR: Ohio State v. Florida

Home game for UF. UF has a strong D which will stop OSU's meager offense. Even though UF has struggled on O they have some play makers that can have a field day on OSU. UF by 14.

LITTLECAESAR: Purdue v. Western Michigan

Fair match-up. Hopefully Purdue will continue to improve and pull out a W. Purdue by 7.

KRAFT: Illinois v. UCLA

Fair match-up between 2 down-trodden teams and really a toss up. I think UCLA is the better team athlete wise and the game is in California so I say UCLA by 7.

Ok -my pessimistic analysis says 1-9 for B1G but the odds say B1G will win a couple more "upsets" so my final win total is 3.