Saban on the Game Day set…………

Comish

Am I the only one who thinks it is a HUGE recruiting advantage to have the head coach of a national team get free face time and (by extension) tremendous exposure to recruits all over the country ??

The NCAA in it’s infinite wisdom vociferously monitors seemingly every minutia of coaches and players contacts (even to the absurdity of watching your own son play if he is a potential recruit), yet sees no “recruiting advantage” for Saban to be fawned over by ESPN and in effect, lobby for his team in the bowl selection process? Where is the symmetry and logic here ?

If I recall, this issue surfaced a number of years ago when Coach K was doing national commercials during the NCAA basketball tournament. There was a lot of squawking, but I can’t recall if anything changed because of it. Evidently not.

(Admittedly, I’d probably think it was less offensive if Bo or Doc were getting the face time, but that isn’t going to happen).

Whining?………..or is it inconsistency by the NCAA………….??

It has to have some effect since the other 120 some coaches don't have the same facetime exposure. He isn't one of the wildeyed ranting coaches and seems to be well spoken, so I can see why ESPN wants him in front of the cameras. I think ESPN is as much to blame for this issue. I'm wondering if the 2+ billion dollars they just invested in broadcast rights to SEC games might be influencing their decisions about who they promote and who they put on air?