NCAA football 2012 playbooks

You know, i thought someone might have posted something about the new ability to create your own playbook in NCAA football 2012.

Technically, its not creating your own playbook or plays. Its more of organizing the plays and formations utilized by all teams to form your own playbook.

Still though, its pretty cool.

I was wondering, has anyone used this feature yet, to create their own playbook for the Huskers or another team?

For Nebraska, the scheme is a spread offense which you can't change, but i decided to make it more "multiple" which fits the current offense scheme that Tim Beck is trying to use.

For example, the previous Husker playbook has way too much shotgun, not enough pistol and i form formations. So I decided to redesign it. Instead of using another teams playbook for a base, i used the Huskers (So i could keep Wildcat formation). I deleted every shotgun formation that wasn't an audible and decided to add some more Ace, Pistol and I Form formations to the playbook, then added a few shotgun formations to end the playbook at 374 plays. I won't go into the plays of each formation, but I Form and Pistol are heavy on the run, while Ace and Shotgun are well balanced with run/pass.

Each formation consists of 6 sub formations, for example.

Ace - Big, Big Flip, Bunch Base, Jumbo, Trio, and Wing Trio TE (I wanted to incorporate using the Tight Ends more in this formation and put in a few toss sweeps to the outside)

I - Form - H Pro, Normal, Slot Flex, Twins Flex, Y Trips, and Tight (I really wanted to use the FB more in this formation, its littered with FB dives, fake pitch to the HB, Triple Option, and gives the FB chances to catch passes on the play action)

Pistol - Ace, Cross, H Twins, Strong Slot, Train, and Weak Slot (Cross was the closest thing i could find to the Diamond formation, the other was Full House and it didn't have nearly as many plays. Lots of Zone-reads in here, pitches, reverses, FB dives, best part of the playbook in my opinion)

Shotgun - Ace, Double Flex, Normal, Split Y Flex, Y Trips Bunch, and Wildcat (Pretty basic shotgun package, a few delay handoffs, play action, zone reads, two HB sets)

All in all, i like the playbook that i created. Called it Wild Husker. I still use the hurry-up temp that Nebraska uses and have had success running it.

Would love to hear comments about this playbook, or the feature in the game or just your own playbook that you created.

I did something similar, used I think Ark. St. or some other small school because I liked the I form plays they had by default. I have a hard time running anything other than the option out of the gun and am much more proficient out of the I, so I went more I heavy than the Huskers are in real life.

I've had issues with the create your own playbook system. I still use it on one of my dynasties (recreated the Big 8 and made Nebraska into an option/run team), but two problems keep cropping up for me.

First, one of the playbooks I created will let me save it in the create your own playbook, but when it comes time to choosing that playbook right before a game, the system tells me I can only use a playbook that I have saved. No matter how many times I go back and save it, that one playbook won't work for me. Obviously, I went back and created a duplicate of the playbook and that one works fine, but the fact that the other one glitches out bothers me.

Second, and this one is a little complicated - you have to choose a "base" team or package before you can create a playbook. Why can't you just create one completely from scratch, without choosing a team or base package before hand? If this is possible, I'd like to know. My issue resides with Ask Corso, which is how I play the game. I usually just choose one of the suggested. However, when I use a created playbook, this Ask Corso feature will very rarely choose different formations or plays. If I use Nebraska as my base playbook before revamping it, the Ask Corso wants to suggest the same 10-15 plays. Always, on the fourth or fifth page of suggested plays, the same triple option play is in the exact same spot. There's very little random generation to the plays. You'd think the Ask Corso feature would be designed to work with whatever formations you choose, but for me, it doesn't work well at all with created playbooks.

This can be remedied by just choosing my own plays and formations, but I don't like to waste several seconds ruffling through pages. Furthermore, the in-game playbook leaves blanks for all those formations you left out, making cycling through plays even more challenging. And I like five minute quarters because of how quickly I can get through games. Extending quarter time to compensate for choosing my own plays isn't what I want to do.

These issues aren't overtly damaging to the feature, but they are little issues that make it not worth the trouble for me.

Ya, it's definitely not a perfect system. In addition to the I-form in the Ark. St. playbook, if I used the Husker's playbook it wouldn't let me remove certain formations no matter what I did. It annoys me that because I used Ark. St. as my base it considers my playbook Pro Style despite the fact I have LOTS of option plays, although I do have alot of I and short passes so I guess it's not that inaccurate when you really look at it.

I turned Ask Corso off as soon as I figured out how. It really is worthless IMO, at least for the way I play. I don't run that many different plays, I have like 5-10 that I know inside and out and can read really well as they develop, so it makes alot more sense to just know where they are rather than using Ask Corso. I use other plays, just not all that often.

I dont use the ask Corso option on offense. Only defense.

Not a bad idea... I focused on learning offense when I bought the game, so I'm just now getting around to really learning to call a D. This is my first 360 NCAA game, so it was a huge jump in gameplay from NCAA 09 which I'd been playing on Xbox especially on offense.