Barney Frank Challenges George Will on Marijuana

It's easy to attack BF when he's not there to reply...but he's spot on and nails it virtually every time he is there...or gets an opportunity to respond.

These issues he brings up do bring to light hypocrisies in the Pub party. They seem to only want a small/limited/nonintrusive govt when it's convenient.

It's easy to attack BF when he's not there to reply...but he's spot on and nails it virtually every time he is there...or gets an opportunity to respond.

These issues he brings up do bring to light hypocrisies in the Pub party. They seem to only want a small/limited/nonintrusive govt when it's convenient.

I don't agree with Frank on a lot of issues. But I have to say I agree with everything he's saying in that video. And it was funny to see him totally pwn George Will. Stick to the written word George. You're not quick enough with comebacks to hang with the big boys in a debate.

In the early 1800's, the British could not get what they wanted (freer trade) from the Chinese. Britain flooded the country with cheap Opium and China became a country of drug addicts. This rendered China weak and allowed the British to exploit the country.

As the habit of smoking opium spread from the idle rich to ninety per cent of all Chinese males under the age of forty in the country's coastal regions, business activity was much reduced, the civil service ground to a halt, and the standard of living fell.

Chinese opium smokers consumed 100 million taels' worth of the drug while the entire spending by the imperial government that year spent 40 million taels. He reportedly concluded, "If we continue to allow this trade to flourish, in a few dozen years we will find ourselves not only with no soldiers to resist the enemy, but also with no money to equip the army"

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/empire/opiumwars/opiumwars1.html

Do I think we would see 90% drug addiction due to the legalization of Marijuana? Absolutely not....Not even close. It doesn't take 90% to determine the direction of this country or the society. We will eventually lose our edge and continue to elect officials that 'feed' whatever our need may be. Drug tests at work will be outlawed, employer insurance programs will be forced to pay for marijuana, in general worker productivity will decrease. America will produce nothing (ideas, products, services).

Our country would end up being exploited by everyone/anyone that most effectively 'handle' the masses. There is a reason they call it dope. I don't have an answer to this question, but I feel strongly that the legalization of drugs could be the downfall of this country.