THE PERFECT PRIME RIB

CornHunka

Season the rib however you want, Just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper are good choices, I usually rub the rib with olive oil, rosemerry and minced garlic, then kosher salt & pepper, but trust me, cook it this way, it is PERFECT

Preheat oven to lowest possible temperature setting, 150°F or greater (some ovens can't hold a temperature below 200°F). Place roast, with fat cap up, on v-rack set in large roasting pan. Place in oven and cook until center of roast registers 120°F on an instant-read thermometer for medium-rare, or 135°F for medium. In a 150°F oven, this will take around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours. In a 200°F oven, this will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Remove roast from oven and tent tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a warm spot in the kitchen and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes, and up to an hour and a half. Meanwhile, preheat oven to highest possible temperature setting (500°F to 550°F)

10 minutes before guests are ready to be served, remove foil, and place roast back in hot oven and cook until well-browned and crisp on the exterior, 6-10 minutes. Remove from oven, carve, and serve immediately.

I do my prime on a grill/smoker. I have my own rub I use and will rub it 48 hrs before grilling. I usually heat my grill up to the hottest it will go and put the prime on and let it cook for about 30 mins on each side in order to give it a crispy shell and allow the juices to stay inside it. After charring it on both sides, I lower the temp to 300 and let it cook until the inside temp is about 120. I then take it out and wrap it in foil and let it set an hour.

I have also injected a prime before with Dr. Pepper and it gave it a somewhat sweet taste while having a saltier after taste from the rub.

I like the low high method as well... You dont get that inch thick well done ring around the meat... The only issue is, at least in my family, people dont always like mid-rare, and the high low method helps make a few slices that keep my mother and brothers wife happy. To be 100% honest I dont make it for them anymore... I saw them throw their meat into the microwave one to many times... I mean really WELL done prime rib.... :wtf

One other thing I do as well is two days before roasting I inject the center with a salt/pepper mix. If you have a turkey injector that will work fine. Just inject it very slow letting the meat take in the fluid, do it from both ends plunging it to the middle then working out. After that is done I rub the outside down heavily with salt, then stash in the fridge for two days.... Then follow normal roasting... One word of caution, if you have people who put salt on things before tasting make sure to tell them it is already seasoned, the brine will add tons of flavor and not be salty, but pouring on more can send it over the top, again I have family that no matter what you put in front of them , they grab the shaker with out tasting it first...... :ahhhhhhhh