Wisconsin's Chryst to Pitt

HuskerShark

Ok, I should amend what I've said. I'm not "happy" that he's leaving. He was a great asset to the program but at times, especially in big games it seemed like he overthought things and tried to change up the formula too much. Last year's Rose Bowl was a painful reminder of that for me and I wanted to see him leave at the end of that game when there were rumors he was going to bail for other offers. That said, now that he's gone one has to be a little concerned about our offense because he did engineer some great teams.

But then again we lost a great DC last year to NIU and turned out alright so maybe we make a solid hire and come through just fine...its not like our offense is mind-bogingly difficult to coordinate...run pass run run run run pass run run run run play-action dump off pass to RB run TD.

The thing is, I don't know who we go out and get...who's available OC wise? People from every school throw Stoops' name out for any DC job but as far as OC's go I haven't heard much....

Anyhow, at least now we have yet another excuse for what will, more than likely, be a relatively flat year on offense, a flat year that thanks to the NCAA will still probably lead to at least a 50-50 shot to get to Indy between us and Penn State. Thank you Mr. Pryor!

Promote from within, man...it's all the rage!! :D

That or hire Shawn Watson

NU would probably offer to ship a truckload of leftover hair care products as a sweetener. Do it!

Word is that Chryst has offered both Bob Bostad (offensive line coach) and Joe Rudolph (tight ends coach who is a recruiting machine) positions on his staff. Bielema apparently wants to keep one of them on as OC and the other one will leave with Chryst. I do wonder if Chryst's brother Geep (qbs coach with the 49ers) will join him at Pitt.

I'm torn as to which coach I'd like to see retained. Bostad's olines have been downright sick, but Rudolph regularly gets great recruits from Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I heard that last year Texas offered Cryst $1million to be their OC. I'm not saying he held out for more cash and a HC job, I'm saying he would have rather been paid squat than coach at Texas.

Chryst is a very down-to-earth, low-key, almost humdrum kind of guy. He doesn't like the spotlight. I can see him not getting along well with Mack Brown and not enjoying the "WE ARE TEXAS, EFF EVERYONE ELSE" attitude at that program.

I know it's small comfort for Badger fans but having other schools wanting to poach your coaches means said coaches have been successful.

If you guys still sucked you'd have no problems keeping the staff around forever.

I see where you're going with that and I like the way you think.

Time to go call up Brett and have him lose oh I dunno...5 games next year? Would that work to stop the hemorrhaging?

Badger- Rumor was that Barry and Brent called and put in the good work for Chryst and it was done with the understanding he wouldn't take any staff with him without their ok. It sounded like Bostad was slated to become OC and Rudolf would go with Chryst and then Chryst kind of backed out of his word and is talking Bostad for sure and also possibly Rudolf. Any skuttle butt about that?

Badger- Rumor was that Barry and Brent called and put in the good work for Chryst and it was done with the understanding he wouldn't take any staff with him without their ok. It sounded like Bostad was slated to become OC and Rudolf would go with Chryst and then Chryst kind of backed out of his word and is talking Bostad for sure and also possibly Rudolf. Any skuttle butt about that?

Bostad is going with Chryst. Rudolph is staying at Wisconsin.

The deal I heard was what was in the thread earlier. Chryst could leave with one assistant and he took the better of the two. Damn.

Actually, I think this is the best situation for us. We've always turned out great offensive linemen and we'll continue to do so. But recruiting has always been more of a struggle for us since Wisconsin doesn't produce a lot of top FBS-level talent. Besides, the tight ends and offensive linemen work pretty closely together, so I imagine some of what Bostad was teaching rubbed off on Rudolph.

The deal I heard was what was in the thread earlier. Chryst could leave with one assistant and he took the better of the two. Damn.

Actually, I think this is the best situation for us. We've always turned out great offensive linemen and we'll continue to do so. But recruiting has always been more of a struggle for us since Wisconsin doesn't produce a lot of top FBS-level talent. Besides, the tight ends and offensive linemen work pretty closely together, so I imagine some of what Bostad was teaching rubbed off on Rudolph.

Yea at least we kept the recruiter...it'll probably bode well for the future. I'm worried about next year overall though, its not looking real promising. Only good thing is OSU's ban

I see you guys are interviewing Lance Leipold. That would be a fantastic hire. He was considered an OC contender here last year. I was disappointed we didn't find a way to get him on staff. If he ends up there I'm going to make you guys my #2 team.

And of course he's a former Nebraska guy.

haha spin it anyway you like, he's definitely a Wisconsin guy....either way he's an amazing coach and I'm sure we have an inside track in getting him. Great hire if he leaves but I could understand if he didn't want to.