What U.S. policy/law are you most proud of?

Please link to the teachers that are not allowed to wear cross jewelry.

http://www.thomasmor...btblct_uid1=948

This article is about a teacher who asks a question and then when he doesn't get the response he wants he punishes the student, that is just ludicrous. I can even see showing the video on bullying because there is no place for that. But how can anyone accept the school distirct doing this spirit day and yet say there is no place for christianity in the school. It is either one way or the other, you let everyone have free speech or no one should be allowed to do something like this. :thumbs

Oh . . . so you couldn't find any example of teachers not being allowed to wear crosses? That's about what I expected. If you find out your beliefs aren't supported by your claimed facts you should at least acknowledge that you were wrong before you attempt to change your argument.

Students in the classroom have long been held to have diminished Constitutional rights. Speech, press, search, etc. All diminished. Here is a good quick summary if you are interested. http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_stud.html

Personally, I don't think the kid should have been kicked out of class if he only said "I don't accept gays." Luckily we have a court system to address his wrong.

This article is about a teacher who asks a question and then when he doesn't get the response he wants he punishes the student, that is just ludicrous. I can even see showing the video on bullying because there is no place for that. But how can anyone accept the school distirct doing this spirit day and yet say there is no place for christianity in the school. It is either one way or the other, you let everyone have free speech or no one should be allowed to do something like this. :thumbs

Oh . . . so you couldn't find any example of teachers not being allowed to wear crosses? That's about what I expected. If you find out your beliefs aren't supported by your claimed facts you should at least acknowledge that you were wrong before you attempt to change your argument.

Yeah, it was a teacher's aide, still a public employee nontheless, again happy to split hairs aren't ya!! don't worry about the discrimination let's split hairs just so you can be right. Great guy, you are!!

Students in the classroom have long been held to have diminished Constitutional rights. Speech, press, search, etc. All diminished. Here is a good quick summary if you are interested. http://www.usconstit...sttop_stud.html

Personally, I don't think the kid should have been kicked out of class if he only said "I don't accept gays." Luckily we have a court system to address his wrong.

Thank you for being so kind. So if he had gone any further with his explanation or beliefs you would have thrown him out also!! The teacher asks him about a subject and he either has to lie about his beliefs or get kicked out of class. Good example of your approach to free speech!! :wasted

well, if I lived in Iraq or Iran I could imagine that. If you go to a country that has a certain culture I do not expect to impose my values on them but rather become part of that country. If I do not want to do that I certainly would not expect a whole country to bend to my whim!! In other words I would not be offended to see muslim currency if I lived in a muslim country I would not be offended to see muslim writings and statues in muslim state buildings. That doesn't mean I can't be a christian in that country,well, maybe it does because they would kill me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Right, and this is what I mean. Iraq is a Muslim state, that is their culture, it's who they are. You living there as a Christian, you are an outsider, and would not expect the whole country to bend to your whim.

The US, however, is not a Christian state. Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are not outsiders who are tolerated here but can't expect to impose "their" values or have the country bend to "their" whim - because Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are no less American than Christians. There is no "they" vs "default" distinction to be made. For one to exist, marginalizes those who fall under the "other religions" category and undermines the principle of separation of church and state.

Rather, I feel that many Christians take these things the wrong way. It is not that I want to impose atheism on everybody. It is that I do not want Christianity to be imposed on everybody.

Having a stone tablet of commandments does not impose anything on anybody. Especially when they were there, in one instance, for over one hundred years. Again, if there was a stone tablet of a chinese menu am I forcing you to eat Chinese food? No one is saying we do not accept other religions. There is nothing wrong putting something on a state building from the Tora or the Qoran, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would rather have more written and more freedom than people taking away these things but that is me. chuckleshuffle

How do you feel about the so-called Ground Zero Mosque on private property?

All for it!! :wasted

Yeah, it was a teacher's aide, still a public employee nontheless, again happy to split hairs aren't ya!! don't worry about the discrimination let's split hairs just so you can be right. Great guy, you are!!

Students in the classroom have long been held to have diminished Constitutional rights. Speech, press, search, etc. All diminished. Here is a good quick summary if you are interested. http://www.usconstit...sttop_stud.html

Thank you for being so kind. So if he had gone any further with his explanation or beliefs you would have thrown him out also!! The teacher asks him about a subject and he either has to lie about his beliefs or get kicked out of class. Good example of your approach to free speech!! :wasted

Link to the teachers aid not being allowed to wear cross jewelry? You are the one who gave the specific example. It is not my fault if you can't verify your own story.

Re-read what I said and get back to me re: the kid being kicked out of class.

Link to the teachers aid not being allowed to wear cross jewelry? You are the one who gave the specific example. It is not my fault if you can't verify your own story.

Give me a break you just want to be rigth and avoid the true issue about Christians being descriminated against. If that is the best you've got to defend your position about free speech of Christians thank you, it was easier than I thought.

And here so you can feel good about yourself - Teahcer's aide was punished for wearing a cross. I hope you aren't going to evade the issue and ask if the cross was gold or silver!! :sarcasm

Ok I re-read it and are you still are going to kick the kid out of class if he were to elaborate on his beliefs? :ahhhhhhhh

Give me a break you just want to be rigth and avoid the true issue about Christians being descriminated against. If that is the best you've got to defend your position about free speech of Christians thank you, it was easier than I thought.

And here so you can feel good about yourself - Teahcer's aide was punished for wearing a cross. I hope you aren't going to evade the issue and ask if the cross was gold or silver!!

Sir, if you believe that Christian's are discriminated against in the United States of America I really don't know what to tell you. Persecution complexes abound, I suppose.

Are you talking about Brenda Nichol? The same Brenda Nichol whose right to wear a cross was upheld by the courts? The same Brenda Nichol who was reinstated with all back pay, holds the same job 8 years later, and wears her cross every day? That Brenda Nichol? To paraphrase the Simpsons . . . that's a powerful weak argument.

Anyways. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Everyone is out to get you. Christianity is under attack. Etc.

Another one for you to peruse.

http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2011/05/01/news/srv0000011586032.txt

An exerpt

Current law prohibits every Pennsylvania public school teacher from wearing any dress, mark, emblem or insignia that would indicate they belong to any religious order or sect, while teaching in class.

"Historically, these statutes were enacted through anti-Catholic sentiment that sought to limit Catholic influences on many aspects of American society," said Rep. Will Tallman, D-Adams, who, along with Rep. Eugene DePasquale, D-York, is co-sponsoring the legislation. "Specifically, this ban aimed to keep priest collars and nun habits out of secular classrooms."

Hmmm . . . I thought you were hanging your hat on that teacher's aid . . . Brenda Nichols. Since that didn't work out well you are now going to sling a few blog posts without acknowledging that you were wrong?

Anyways, if you're a true Christian you should embrace persecution (whether real or imagined). Jesus himself said so. Just another way modern Christianity in the U.S. grossly drifts away from the Bible.

well, if I lived in Iraq or Iran I could imagine that. If you go to a country that has a certain culture I do not expect to impose my values on them but rather become part of that country. If I do not want to do that I certainly would not expect a whole country to bend to my whim!! In other words I would not be offended to see muslim currency if I lived in a muslim country I would not be offended to see muslim writings and statues in muslim state buildings. That doesn't mean I can't be a christian in that country,well, maybe it does because they would kill me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Right, and this is what I mean. Iraq is a Muslim state, that is their culture, it's who they are. You living there as a Christian, you are an outsider, and would not expect the whole country to bend to your whim.

The US, however, is not a Christian state. Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are not outsiders who are tolerated here but can't expect to impose "their" values or have the country bend to "their" whim - because Muslims, atheists, Hindus, etc, are no less American than Christians. There is no "they" vs "default" distinction to be made. For one to exist, marginalizes those who fall under the "other religions" category and undermines the principle of separation of church and state.

Rather, I feel that many Christians take these things the wrong way. It is not that I want to impose atheism on everybody. It is that I do not want Christianity to be imposed on everybody.

Just for the record there is no separation of Church and state in the Constitution. Please show me where it states that in the Constitution. That is a slogan the left started in the scopes monkey trial and has been used ever since!! The state is not allowed to form a national religion but there isn't any separation of church and state. That is why Congress can begin with a prayer and the founding fathers put many biblical people on the supreme court house (Moses among others). :thumbs

Johnny, you are correct that "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution. Everyone knows this.

I hope that you aren't making a strict textualist argument. If so, the states can ban any and all speech/guns/religion etc.

I hope you aren't a strict textualist only when you agree with the outcome.