What U.S. policy/law are you most proud of?

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

I think that is a wonderful thing.

Thoughts?

Freedom of speech is rather limiting. Supreme Court Justices throughout our history have seen to that. Speicifically the middle of the 20th Century.

Last time I checked, placing responsibility and accountability on Free Speech is not a limit--it is a burden factor that one must should consider before speaking freely.

But then again, I've never equated responsibility and accountability with limitation.

I'm not talking about cursing or slander/libel. You can't even protest anymore cause you need a permit to do it even though that right is guaranteed by the First Amendment. The only free speech you really have is on your own property. It doesn't surprise me that our rights are slowly being limited or taken away cause most people aren't passionate about it til they lose their rights. I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell tsa scanners are even legal since they basically get a nude shot of you all in the name of terrorism.

I'm not talking about cursing or slander/libel. You can't even protest anymore cause you need a permit to do it even though that right is guaranteed by the First Amendment. The only free speech you really have is on your own property. It doesn't surprise me that our rights are slowly being limited or taken away cause most people aren't passionate about it til they lose their rights. I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell tsa scanners are even legal since they basically get a nude shot of you all in the name of terrorism.

This is not correct.

Another worth mentioning is the right to petition for a writ of habeas corpus. If a guy gets thrown in jail, at least he demand the reason he's being held. Habeas corpus prevents the state from throwing people in jail because they are somehow enemies of the state. And forgetting about them.

Another worth mentioning is the right to petition for a writ of habeas corpus. If a guy gets thrown in jail, at least he demand the reason he's being held. Habeas corpus prevents the state from throwing people in jail because they are somehow enemies of the state. And forgetting about them.

Too bad its one of the first rights we restrict every time something scurry happens.

Too bad its one of the first rights we restrict every time something scurry happens.

Abraham Lincoln trampled on it. That bum.

Everyone that's imprisoned someone without evidence has, but ole Abe wouldn't have been the first one that came to mind for me. Think WW2, and 100k+ Japanese.

So yeah that law, means absolutely nothing if we can sign sedition acts and blanket the country with propaganda.

Actually thank god my German and Czeck parents went to war against, the Germans, on both sides of the family.

Still though, those crafty slant-eyes. Good thing we rounded them up rather giving them a chance to fight for their actual country.

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

We even set up special "Free Speech Zones"!

Most public forums could be termed "Free Speech Zones."

Most public forums could be termed "Free Speech Zones".

My point was that caged in areas were created as "Free Speech Zones", prohibiting some public forums.

Most public forums could be termed "Free Speech Zones".

My point was that caged in areas were created as "Free Speech Zones", prohibiting some public forums.

What, specifically, are you talking about? In most cases public parks, sidewalks, etc. are free speech zones.

I would dare say that there were unique extenuating circumstances when Abraham Lincoln suspended civil liberties.

I would not say those same circumstances, nor anything close to resembling those circumstances, is occurring now.

Unless, that is, there's something going on you'd like to tell us (and, by extension Uncle Sam) about?

What, specifically, are you talking about? In most cases public parks, sidewalks, etc. are free speech zones.

Seriously... you've never heard of "Free Speech Zones"?

http://en.wikipedia....ree_speech_zone

I have heard of them and I don't agree with the arguments in favor of them. That said, they have generally been temporary. The park a few blocks away from my house doesn't require that protesters stand in a cage.

Again, not defending them. I'm just saying it's not a systemic problem.

(Edit: In fact, if I'm remembering correctly I witnessed a caged "free speech zone" in person a few years ago. I believe it was the USC game in Lincoln and the lovely people from Westboro paid us a visit.)